Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sella Ronda from Pozza di Fassa

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everybody,

This is my first post and I am from Spain, so please forgive my language=). Just planning a ski trip with my wife to dolomities for the 2nd week of January 2019. I am a confident intermadiate and my wife is a pre intermadiate. Pozza di fassa has some good deals and decided to stay there which looks has an acces to Alba. The thing I want to ask is that, I looked at the ski map and there is a black run through to Alba from Pozza pistes. How steep is that? My wife scares too much from black runs and is it possible to take the gondolo for reaching the Alba from top station without skiing that black? In some of the Spain resorts they dont let that.

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi ..The run down is not that difficult ..a bit steep in places ..but a lot of people take the cable car down which is very easy and it connects with either the bus back to Possa (via Canazei and Campitello)or the lift up to the Belvedere area at Canazei...a great area ..my 4th time in January
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@feelgood, Hi and welcome snowHead

The black run at Alba isn't very steep – it would probably be red in most places. Also, each steeper section is quite short so it doesn't look too bad as you go down it.

Also, yes, you can take the gondola instead. This is possible for all the gondolas in the Sella Ronda area.

The only concern I would have, is that as an intermediate skier, Pozza may be too far out for your wife. Alba > Pozza and Pozza > Alba is 3 lifts each way, which takes about an hour or more if you are fast. If you are skiing more slowly, this section could take 3 hours out of your day (there and back) and not leave you much time to do the Sella Ronda or other excursions. You would be better staying in Canazei or Alba if you can, and then you can spend a day skiing to Pozza or Pera without rushing.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@feelgood, Like @Scarlet says Pozza is a bit far out - of course you can take the bus - but if you want to try the Sella area choose one of the villages around it.

There may be a reason for the good deals. Toofy Grin

Alba has become very good with the new gondol up!

And yes you can take the Gondol down - no problem.

If you want to do Sella Ronda do it anticlockwise if your wife does not like steep runs.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes, I think doing a full circuit of the Sella Ronda from Pozza will be hard for a pre-intermediate. But there are lots of pistes to explore without needing to go right round the loop. The black down from Ciampac to Alba is steep in places but not too scary as long as the snow is in good shape. It's easy to get the gondola at the top and cross over at the bottom to take the Col dei Rossi lift up to Belvedere.

Staying at Pozza gives you the advantage of easy access to the slopes above Vigo. And if you want quicker access to the Sella Ronda, take the skibus to Canazei and get off at the Campitello lift.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the replies
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you have a car, Pozza is a good base, it's a nice town with a lived-in feel. The accommodation is quite a lot cheaper than the villages at the head of the valley.

By car, you can access lots of nice areas along the Val di Fassa. As well as the obvious Buffaure-Alba and trips up to the Sella Ronda via Campitello, Canazei & Alba, the Alpe Lusia/Bellamonte & Passo San Pellegrino/Falcade areas near Moena are very worthwhile and tend to be a lot less busy than the Sella Ronda. The Carezza area has nice runs. Catinaccio accessed from Vigo or Pera is small, but very pretty. These are all covered on the Superski pass. There is also a Valle Silver pass which just covers the ski areas in Val di Fassa, but you can't use it on the Sella Ronda beyond Campitello/Canazei. There are more ski areas further down the valley at Latemar and Alpe Cermis.

The bus service along the valley is pretty good too if you don't have a car. https://www.skibusvaldifassa.it/en/lines

Buen viaje!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@feelgood, I stayed in Pozza in January of this year and thought it a great little sunny town, that I want to go back to. I'm a confident intermediate and could ski Pozza and down the black run into Alba and back in an hours ski lesson; this was with a take no prisoners, give no instruction, Italian ski instructor.
When I asked him if I was capable of doing the black home run into Pozza he said it would be hard for me, so I never tried that one, as I trusted his judgement.
I was there with a friend who had not skied for 10 years and who was snow ploughing everywhere v slowly and tentatively to start with but she still managed the reds. One afternoon at the end of the week, after her ski school lesson, I even managed to get her up to Belvedere and back to admire the views before last lifts stopped. It was touch and go though!
+1 to @luigi 's comments. Go for it and your wife can use the gondola.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Pozza is a great place to stay - the local skiing is much less busy than the Sella Ronda, and if you did want to do the circuit rather than ski round via Alba you could easily just get the bus to Canazei
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi,
we will stay in Pozza in March and would like to take the Sella Ronda (orange) round. Which is the best starting point (I mean which is the less crowded lift around 9am): Campitello (Col Rodella), Canazei (Pecol) or Alba (Col dei Rossi)?
Thanks.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Of the three, I 'suspect' the Alba on would be the quietest - do you have a car ?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yes, we have. Thanks!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
And what do you think about Pian Frataces as a starting point? Is it possible to go there by car in March?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
welcome to sH snowHead

If competent red run skiers, then I'd just ski Pozza-Alba and join Sella Ronda there.
If nervous, beginner, etc. then I'd get bus to Canazei Pecol (on those days you want to ski Sella Ronda)
I think Campitello has the biggest carpark, but Canazei or Alba will have the shortest queue. I wouldn't start from Pian Frateces, even if it was accessible by road.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks, then I think Alba will be good for us. We are quite quick red run skiers, but would like to enjoy some extra slopes in Val Gardena and Alta Badia. Anyway, why don't you recommend Pian Frateces?
ski holidays
It's on the road up over a pass, with a zillion switchbacks. And I imagine nowhere near as much parking as Campitello down in the valley.
Quick red-run skiers should easily be able to do a full Sella Ronda loop plus the Pozza-Alba bit. And if pressed for time, you can still come down to Alba, Canazei or Campitello at the end of the day, and grab a bus back.
ski holidays
Ok, I just thought that we would ski at Pozza/Alba many times on other days. Thanks for your reply Smile
latest report
@bpeter, Pian Frataces is a valid option if the roads aren't snowy and you don't mind driving a little way up the hairpins. There won't be the same morning queues there that you can get at the valley stations and there is a fair-sized car park. You're straight onto the Sella Ronda both ways there.

https://goo.gl/maps/V5D4dVTC7w62
latest report
Thanks, our goal is to avoid the morning queues and spend a bit more time in Val Gardena and Alta Badia. Maybe we will try this starting point.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy