Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Proper skis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
These look good - https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/gallery/2018/mar/01/the-mountain-artisan-skis-crafted-from-wood-in-pictures

It's lovely to see someone keeping an old art/skill/tradition alive.

I wonder how they ski? Any sHs tried them? He says they're very light.

I'm thinking of a pair in the same shade of wood as my old tweed knickerbockers and the single rudder pole I use for those really big powder days. Am very tempted.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Beautiful...and have seen similar across Europe US and Japan.
The trouble is, as with any ski regardless of cost you take ‘em off the piste they soon get smashed up.
I don’t feel I wood commit quite as readily if I was overly concerned about totalling my skis the whole time.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Very nostalgic and cool. I play tennis but would never use a wooden racquet as my "go to" stick. I imagine it's the same with skis?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
From 8:35 on this video of countryfile winter edition 2017

http://youtube.com/v/u1Ubu3iKvMo
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Stunning...

Additonal article on Jamies work http://www.fall-line.co.uk/day-life-bespoke-ski-maker-jamie-kunka/
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I have a pair, Sneachda's,
They are pretty lovely things. I'm not going to claim to be an expert on different ski types, but I've tried a fair few pairs over the years.

I find mine really springy, very playful and they really come alive when I push them. Took them down the Vallee Blanche this year, once the first scrape was done I soon stopped being precious. They seem to prefer charging hard to cruising around.
They are stunning things though, I've got mine set up with luminous yellow Look pivot bindings. Think it looks great!

Best skis I've ever owned when you take the whole package into account, the performance, looks, craftmanship. I'm sure companies using more modern techniques and materials make a higher performance ski, but I don't think thats what a LMS ski is about.
That and I feel very proud to ski in Scotland on skis made in Scotland. Homegrown at its best.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Disaster wrote:
Very nostalgic and cool. I play tennis but would never use a wooden racquet as my "go to" stick. I imagine it's the same with skis?

Probably not the best comparison, the skis are pretty technical, 7 layers, bonded cores made from multiple woods, carbon fibre, flax, PTex7000 bases. They look old tech, they don't feel it to ski.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
older thread here http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3017031&highlight=lonely+mountain+skis#3017031
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I bought a pair of Sneachdas a few years ago. I’ve skied 10 weeks on them, and continue to be delighted with them. When I was considering whether to go for them, I went to see Jamie Kunka and explained that I wanted a touring ski that would ski like the Dynastar Mythic (the very light, carbon fibre, version of the beautiful Cham97 ski). I was prepared to accept a little bit more weight than the Mythic (which is one of the lightest high performance skis you can get), but not much.
They absolutely hit that spot: they are only a shade heavier, and they ski very similarly. They are wonderful in deep off piste snow, and also very good for carving on piste too. And do as well at keeping me out of trouble in crusty conditions as anything can! The only conditions in which I find them a bit wanting is on icy pistes - but then the only skis that can help you there are narrow waisted, heavy, stiff racing skis - and you wouldn’t choose those for touring!!
And in terms of appearance, I’ve had a lot of folk admiring them, including guides and instructors, and that is quite unusual! 10 weeks in, I have just had Jamie re-varnish them for me - can’t wait to get them back and get them out on the hills!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
i don't think I'm hipster enough to have a pair, but they do look lovely.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
But who'd have the nerve to tell you wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
One of my regular ski chums who is a Hairy Scot, has a pair of these mounted with ATK bindings as his soft snow touring set up. He loves them, but 2 years on remains very sensitive to scratching them.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy