Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What shell will fit me?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all.

I need a new shell, but having trouble finding one that fits well.

If I go for a 'large' the arms are too long, the waist too baggy and the body much too long. A medium generally fits much better but is too tight across the chest and shoulders, even without a down jacket. (I've tried at least one shell from each of norrona, haglofs, arcteryx and marmot and they all have the same issues - at least the models I tried.)

Any recommendations for shells to try? I can't be the only one with this problem...

TIA
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Norrøna and Haglofs are brands designed for seven-foot skinny Scandis with long arms. If you are not that shape, try the brands that those who are avoid like the plague! Patagonia and North Face would be a good place to start, maybe Mountain Hardware too.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 28-11-18 11:29; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I pretty much have the same problem. I'm 5'11" with a 47" chest, 34" waist. I have to get an XL to fit my chest and the rest just hangs. Anything from the 'scandi' brands just seems to be for beanpoles, XL essentially just extra tall.

The best fitting piece I've had for a while is a Marmot XL goretex shell, not sure which one. I've just looked and it's no longer a current model, and no shots by googling 'marmot gortex shell'. I don't know wether Marmot have different fits for different models. I also had a Patagonia insulated jacket from a while back that fitted quite snuggly, have you tried them?

Just saw Scarlets post - I tried on a Mountain Hardware (Supercharger?) insulated mid layer jacket - the XL was too small around the chest.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just a thought:

Whilst web forums generally are a great gender neutraliser (you don't know what sex someone is, and why should it matter), with this type of query it might help to declare gender.

@Scarlet may know @turbosmurf's gender, so her advice may be tailored to fit (sic) but others may not know and send him/her (@turbosmurf) off down the wrong road.

As a fella I've always had the perception that there's a greater spread in female body shapes, so buying gear has got to be that bit harder. Discuss........
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@midgetbiker, Good point, and no idea of @turbosmurf's chosen gender, but in the case of the skinny fit Scandi brands, the issue applies to everyone afaik.

If you would like to discuss the greater spread of female body shapes (too much coffee this morning?!), then yes, buying gear is harder, but to some degree due to some manufacturers seeming to prefer we didn't exist rather than produce a decent selection of gear. Sound familiar? wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
midgetbiker wrote:
...with this type of query it might help to declare gender

Good point Embarassed I'm a bloke
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
So am I..........
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I like Haglofs, and their gear generally suits me well (size 8 - 10, not tall but I like jackets to be quite long) but had major problems with a Haglofs shell which I otherwise loved. I bought it online and picked up in the local Cotswold Outdoor. It looked fantastic - over a T shirt. But I also needed some kind of warm mid layer so aimed to try both on together. The arm holes in the Haglofs shell were too skinny to put ANY thickish mid layer underneath comfortably - and my arms are positively skinny. They were really ridiculously tight. The other problem I had is that there were few mid layers without hoods - which I absolutely didn't want. It was disappointing but saved a lot of money, I guess!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@midgetbiker, great point.

Working on assumption that @turbosmurf is a bloke, I would suggest that he took a look at the Arc'teryx Beta - namely AR (other iterations may have different cuts).

As a somewhat broad - shouldered, 6' tall bloke, I found that the aforementioned shell fits me like a glove in XXL. Assuming (again!) Laughing that the same cut is carried over to the smaller sizes within the range, it should fit OP well.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 28-11-18 12:48; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ahh... I can see that @turbosmurf has clarified things while I took the time to type out my reply (someone wanted my attention briefly).
Well, at least that makes my suggestion relevant.

@turbosmurf, good luck with your quest.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@turbosmurf, have a look at snowboarding stuff. I've used Burton [AK] stuff for skiing; the slightly baggy ones should do it for you.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The Scott shells are quite short in body and arms.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks all - will follow up on all the recommendations...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I am a female but have broad shoulders long back and arms but slim waist and hips. I a!says but men's jackets to get worth across the shoulders. Women's for just too tight. Btw short legs though always an issue with trousers
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
So I tried everything suggested, and nothing fits really well - and I just can't bring myself to spend £600 on a shell that isn't close to perfect.

In the end I bought a Mountain Hardware shell on sale (thanks @Scarlet) which is about the best so far . I went down to a medium which is a little tight under the arms, but it's a stretch fabric so it's not too bad. And it fits well otherwise.

Can't help feeling that the big brands are missing a trick here. And don't get me started on trousers - just had a pair of Medium Norrona trousers shortened by 11cm!!! I'm 175cm, 5'9" FFS - ok, I'm not going to make the NBA but I'm not exactly a midget either.
snow report
turbosmurf wrote:
but I'm not exactly a midget either.

Except that in Scandinavian terms you are...same height as me and I spend a lot of time looking up at people here. Scandi sizing really only works if you are tall & slim (or shorter and very slim).
ski holidays
Burton AK is good, but the sizing tends to be "fat people", getting fatter year by year. I used to be M, then S, now XS. My weight and physique are unchanged. Their sizing is also inconsistent across the range and also year-on-year. So whatever worked last year, won't necessarily work this year. Just saying.

Most people (who I ride with) don't wear down under a shell, mid-layer stuff is more common. Down is used (say) if you have to stop for lunch and you want to put something *over* the shell, not under. Sure, wear it any way you want, but you may be expecting too much if you want that much space under a shell which isn't a sack. Arm length... wear your mitts "over the jacket" and the arm length isn't really an issue.
snow report
turbosmurf wrote:
In the end I bought a Mountain Hardware shell on sale ... which is about the best so far

Just back from a week in Utah using this. The fit is good but I don't think the membrane is as good as the best - I got both hotter and colder than usual. Probably worth the £200 I paid but not full price IMO. Construction also a notch or two below the best.
snow conditions
@turbosmurf, really nice of you to come back and let everyone know how it all went down.

Nothing worse than searching a forum (not necessarly this one), reading all the posts with various suggestons, but in vain - because someone didn't bother to come back and inform members of the end result.
ski holidays
Cheers, @snowglider. And thanks again to everyone for the suggestions, much appreciated.
snow conditions
Just seen this thread. One thing to say, Arctyrix shells come in different cuts. My Zeta hiking shell is quite a slim cut, whilst my Sidewinder winter mountain shell easily has room for a down jacket, fleece layer, merino and me with room to spare.
latest report
@gvj, they do indeed - but I was very specific as regards the model that fitted me (Beta AR). So I presume that's what the OP tried on.
snow report
Try Arc'Teryx (North Face or any North American brand). Their Medium jackets are huge on me, the arms were OK but body was huge.

Scandi stuff fits me perfectly being 6'2" and slim I wear Haglofs, but Norrona and Peak Performance also works well.

Just went through a similar issue for my youngest son. He tried North Face, Burton etc but to get the length the stuff didn't fit his waist or chest. We ended up having to get Haglofs as its the only gear that fits his tall skinny frame.

I really do think that clothing sizes have changed for UK and American clothing to cater for expanding (fat) waistlines, I used to buy Large, but I would need a small from North Face now.
snow conditions
Talking about “expedition fit” and the other variants.
ski holidays
turbosmurf wrote:

Can't help feeling that the big brands are missing a trick here. And don't get me started on trousers - just had a pair of Medium Norrona trousers shortened by 11cm!!! I'm 175cm, 5'9" FFS - ok, I'm not going to make the NBA but I'm not exactly a midget either.

Which model was that? I'm also 5'9 and M in some Norrona lines and S in others. The Tamok line trousers fit me perfectly in M (jacket is long, but deliberately cut for that). Any of the down jackets and I need S. Lofoten line depends...

For a more generous cut without the length it might be worth checking out Patagonia, and a few of Arcteryx's lines.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy