Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

1st pair of Ski Boots - Advice for an Intermediate

Poster: A snowHead
Atomic Hawx Prime 110S

I have tried lots of different boots on over the past month and found these to feel the best. I was recommended these by the fitter, are they too expensive/high end for my level?

Any advice is welcome! Thanks!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@NewSki, which area do you live in?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
NickyJ wrote:

I am in the South-East with access to Surrey, Kent and Essex
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@NewSki, how stiff are they for you to flex.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@NewSki, as long as you haven't got wonky feet it is very easy to make sure they fit correctly.
Make sure your toes can wiggle.
Make sure your heel doesn't lift up out of the back of the boot more than a few mm ish.
An Atomic 110 flex is a nice intermediate/higher intermediate boot.
It's hard to say whether it'll be too stiff without seeing your skiing but if you are keen then they won't be too stiff for long... you could grab a lesson to make sure!
Don't worry about stomping about in your kitchen with them on.
Wear them a little to get used to putting the clips on and off and to find out how tight they can be... boots always hate not being skied in!
IME it takes about 10-20 hours of skiing for the boot liners to set to your fit and for the boot to be fitting the best but those 10-20 hours can be quite an experience! I'm also a believer as to why so many people have problems on holiday.... if you only go skiing once a year it could take up to 2 years for the blighters to be at their best!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
NewSki wrote:
NickyJ wrote:

I am in the South-East with access to Surrey, Kent and Essex

I am afraid I haven’t used anybody round that way for boot fitting. Hopefully somebody round here may have done.

There are posts about boot fitting- mainly in the equipment section, which should give you a good idea of what to expect from a session, if you don’t experience that then I would express caution.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
NewSki wrote:
Atomic Hawx Prime 110S

I have tried lots of different boots on over the past month and found these to feel the best. I was recommended these by the fitter, are they too expensive/high end for my level?

Which "fitter"?

What is your level?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@NewSki, as yet you have not defined your level, you say intermediate, that is a very wide ranging skier level, more important is your body weight and your height as this converts to the level length you have to bend the boot.. atomic do make that boot in a softer flex 90 and 1200, however you start to lose features in terms of 1 the power shift goes (this enables you to stiffen the boot in the future and to change the forward lean) 2 the liner quality drops so the foams become softer which means they don't give such good foot hold, 3 the plastic quality drops a little as you down but that is what makes the boot cheaper
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
As an intermediate I bought the Head Vector Evo 110 - quite happy with that, I like the tight fit it has - although had to re-adjust it side-ways afterwards
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Is the flex rating an absolute and the same value in different brands of boot?

Edit : found an answer....

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=1375
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Scamper wrote:
Is the flex rating an absolute and the same value in different brands of boot?

Edit : found an answer....

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=1375

No it is just a relative guide within one manufacturers range. IE there is not a specific ISO level of accuracy that you can compare between brands.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dalbello Panterra 110AX are my 1st ever pair of ski boots. Fitted with footbeds.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@NewSki, there were lots of questions, you only answered one.

And another/new question. Where your Dalbello's fitted with custom footbeds? All ski boots have footbeds.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@NewSki, panterra 110 was ok for the first boot but hawx prime 110 is too stiff for the second???? now i am well aware that boot flex is not standardized but there is not that much difference

people are trying to help you but so fasr you are not coming back with anything to allow us to help you more
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Rabbie wrote:
@NewSki, how stiff are they for you to flex.

I didn't go with the Atomic's in the end
ski holidays
Layne wrote:
NewSki wrote:
Atomic Hawx Prime 110S

Which "fitter"?

What is your level?

I visited a shop that people have recommended to me on here. Very eager Intermediate is my level
latest report
Layne wrote:
@NewSki, there were lots of questions, you only answered one.

And another/new question. Where your Dalbello's fitted with custom footbeds? All ski boots have footbeds.

The brand is superfeet, they were cut to the size of the insoles that the Dalbellos came with, I don't know if this is Custom?
snow report
CEM wrote:
@NewSki, panterra 110 was ok for the first boot but hawx prime 110 is too stiff for the second???? now i am well aware that boot flex is not standardized but there is not that much difference

people are trying to help you but so fasr you are not coming back with anything to allow us to help you more

I tried on the Atomics first but went with the Dalbellos
snow conditions
@NewSki, now that makes sense, the dalbello will flex a little softer due to the construction

the superfeet you have is most likely trim to fit rather than custom, great product if it fits yur foot profile and a whole lot better than what comes with the boot
snow conditions
NewSki wrote:
Atomic Hawx Prime 110S

I wanted to get back into skiing last year (having mostly boarded for nearly 30 years and skied before that). I bought a pair of Atomic Hawx 110. OMG what a great boot. Perfect flex for me (1.80m and 76kg) and so comfortable I have wondered what all the fuss is about. A friend has also bought a pair and also loves them.

Brilliant boots. If they fit your foot shape, I think you will like the Hawx... a lot.
ski holidays
Just bought Head Advant Edge 105s and they are super comfy with ability to vary flex a little. Can't wait to get them on the real white stuff. Me - intermediate, hoping to get to advanced, 1.7m, 68kg. @newski, one to consider?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy