Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

St Anton Advice - 1st Week in January

Poster: A snowHead
I've found myself with a spare week off and have booked flights to Innsbruck 5th to 12th of January.

I'm looking at St Anton and was looking for some advice. I was in Lech once before in January 2014 or 2015 with mates and the snow was very poor, brown patches etc. Given the areas reputation, I feel the area should given another chance.

I hear it is generally a busy resort but is it likely to be busy 5th-12th of January? I would have thought not.

Where's the best place to look for accommodation? I'm flying solo and am looking for budget stuff. Booking.com etc are hopeless for ski resorts.

For ski hire, are there any recommended places? I'd be looking for good piste skis with flexibility to change to some fat floppies if required. Ski hire in Lech was extortionate, I believe there is a family cartel in place that would make the Medellin boys jealous. Is it the same in St Anton?

Any restaurant recommendations? I don't mind spending a few bob on food if it is decent.

All advice is very much appreciated.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Start here for Accom search: https://www.stantonamarlberg.com/en

Ski Hire: https://www.sport-jennewein.com

The Women’s FIS races will be on 12 & 13 Jan, so the preceding week might be busy. Not sure on that. We arrive on 12 Jan, so I can tell you then! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The Arlberg has one of the best snow records in the eastern alps, if the snow is poor there it is likely to be worse elsewhere. There was a recent season where I simply didnt bother going skiing until the end of January, there was not enough snow to be worth spending the money, I went walking instead, it could well be the same year you mention.

Pettneu is a good spot to look for less expensive accommodation, there are (or at least were until recently) a number of B&B places for around €50 / night (maybe even a little bit less). The ski bus takes 10 minutes and they run regularly in the morning and evening. Unlike the outlying spots in St Anton itself (St Jakob, Gand etc) there are some bars and restaurants in the village.

I have tended to use Alber Sports for ski hire, never had any complaints, but not sure there is a big difference between the various companies. It is worth booking online a couple of days before hand to get a small discount and request the sort of skis you want. I have found sending an email asking what skis they have gets a helpful response.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@sean1967, how busy? I believe from comments on other threads that Russian New Year will make the Arlberg resorts very busy from 5-10 Jan 2019.

Local area experts may be along soon to advise more on that.
snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Russian Week

Low season

But begin of all the tourist companys (scandinavia etc)
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@sean1967, You'll easy get accommodantion, look at Gampberg hotel 45-50€ a night b&b single room, 100m from the lifts. Brilliant week to ski, quiet and fantastic conditions. We're going tomorrow for a week, i'll try not use up all the powder.

Ski hire Jennewein or Alber Sport as above, newest and best rep........some folk on here moan about them being expensive but its great kit and great locations.

Restaurant - so many, no bad ones imo. Look up Antonys downstairs.

Enjoy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Can recommend Hospiz Alm in St Christof (EDIT: Not here actually see below) for food, super chilled (never seen it rammed like some of the other on-mountain places), has good wine and great food - excellent value too.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 20-12-18 12:42; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Also, what ability is your group? If you've got any beginners or nervous skiers then I would stay closer to the nasserein lift as piste 50 (blue into St Anton centre be Galzig) can get super mogully - like waist high - at the end of a day.

However if your all ok with reds or moguls then stay as close to Galzig as possible, it's where all the action is!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We were there that week this year and about 7 years ago. It was not very busy but not quite, max 5 minute queues at most lifts, it was also not over run by Russians.

We found two bad pinch points at Zurs where we had long waits a couple of times, the Zursersee and Madloch lifts.

One other negative from last year was the closure of Happy Valley, it forced a lot of skiers onto black 52 that were not capable.

Overall we had a fantastic holiday and would return again that week.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@JimboS, 5 minute queues wk2 January?.... Never been in a queue that time of year, got to keep ahead of the crowds and plan and get out early..... wink

@Thomasski, Thats the one place in Arlberg I avoid - unattentive staff and overpriced food ime, Maiensee Hotel or Thaja (new place on right as you drop into StC) next door great but Hospiz Alm nah - great place to go to the WC though......@sean1967, check out the route to the loo's, no spoilers please folks wink

Never noticed too many Russians either.......
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Markymark29, Really? I've never had anything but great service there, I wouldn't call the staff attentive in the fine dining sense, no; but I personally hate that anyway. They're available, fast, and cheerful.
Yes it's not 'cheap' for Austria, but massive portions! 18 euros for a big oval plate of their haus spitz is very welcome after a hard morning.
Each to their own I suppose!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thomasski wrote:
Can recommend Hospiz Alm in St Christof for food, super chilled (never seen it rammed like some of the other on-mountain places), has good wine and great food - excellent value too.

Biggest RipOFf Jint in Austria

Austrians McDonalds ,,seriously..Nithing s Fresh except the Wine !
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just realised I've misremembered the place, Alm have good wine but expensive, noisy and rammed, it was a place in Stuben that - for some reason - my mind is mixing up. Apologies!

Not don't go to Hospiz Alm, head down to Stuben instead. There's a place there with a small terrace you can ski up to that is everything my first post promised.

Anyone know the name of it?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sean1967 wrote:
I've found myself with a spare week off and have booked flights to Innsbruck 5th to 12th of January.

I'm looking at St Anton and was looking for some advice. I was in Lech once before in January 2014 or 2015 with mates and the snow was very poor, brown patches etc. Given the areas reputation, I feel the area should given another chance.

I hear it is generally a busy resort but is it likely to be busy 5th-12th of January? I would have thought not.

Where's the best place to look for accommodation? I'm flying solo and am looking for budget stuff. Booking.com etc are hopeless for ski resorts.

For ski hire, are there any recommended places? I'd be looking for good piste skis with flexibility to change to some fat floppies if required. Ski hire in Lech was extortionate, I believe there is a family cartel in place that would make the Medellin boys jealous. Is it the same in St Anton?

Any restaurant recommendations? I don't mind spending a few bob on food if it is decent.

All advice is very much appreciated.

I turned up at St Anton without booking any accomodation. The tourist information office when you arrive can do a check on the day for rooms available. I am not sure it will be better than booking in advance though, but worth knowing if you can't find anything cheap.

If you use your card to get into a bank corridor, there is a heated area next to the ATM which could do for one night!

There is a usually a range of free ski hire at the restaurants next to the piste. Just take your boots along and help yourself to a pair that fits. It is a bit like the bike hire in major cities, except there is no charge (watch out for people claiming these skis as theirs, they are con artists)

The supermarkets do a good range in flavoured boxes of pringles!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Look at Haus Bachseite. Good value and central location
ski holidays
Quote:

There is a usually a range of free ski hire at the restaurants next to the piste. Just take your boots along and help yourself to a pair that fits. It is a bit like the bike hire in major cities, except there is no charge (watch out for people claiming these skis as theirs, they are con artists)

@Bigtipper, Laughing Laughing
snow report
Thomasski wrote:
Just realised I've misremembered the place, Alm have good wine but expensive, noisy and rammed, it was a place in Stuben that - for some reason - my mind is mixing up. Apologies!

Not don't go to Hospiz Alm, head down to Stuben instead. There's a place there with a small terrace you can ski up to that is everything my first post promised.

Anyone know the name of it?

I believe you are thinking of the Berghaus. It is just behind the church (“behind” if you are looking up from the Albona 1 load). It is very good. The food is great, the prices reasonable, service good, and a fairly chilled atmosphere.
snow report
@ulmerhutte, Yes! That's it! Between the church and a new build. Brain wasn't working...
snow conditions
I love the Hospiz, if nothing else go to the toilet there.
snow conditions
Thomasski wrote:
Also, what ability is your group? If you've got any beginners or nervous skiers then I would stay closer to the nasserein lift as piste 50 (blue into St Anton centre be Galzig) can get super mogully - like waist high - at the end of a day.

However if your all ok with reds or moguls then stay as close to Galzig as possible, it's where all the action is!

My group is limited to me and I ski like Snow Jesus. snowHead

I'll not be seeking out moguls though, a waste of energy for little reward.
ski holidays
Thanks for all the advice but I'm thinking........

Balls to it! I am going just leave it very late, see where the snow and forecast is best before booking.

St Anton, Soelden, Selva, Ischgl and many others are easy to get to/from Innsbruck on public transport.
snow conditions
@sean1967, Austria snow will be brilliant by time of your trip look st the forecast for next week
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy