Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Transporting Ski Boots

Poster: A snowHead
Pardon my naivety but I'm in the process of buying my 1st Ski Boots and would like to know the best way to transport them with me? I would prefer not to take them in my case as this will leave me hardly any room at all for clothes
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Buy a boot-bag Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If flying charter where number of bags checked in doesn’t matter we use boot bags. When flying BA where we have one checked in bag per person we have spread them through the cases / ski bag.

If your feet aren’t too big there is a nice looking Lange bag which is designed to go in hand luggage. I was going to get for hubby as this year we need to take his (being the heaviest) boots in hand luggage but Mondo size 30 boots don’t quite fit in it.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@NewSki, wheelie case hand luggage. Check the dimensions against those allowed by the airlines you are likely to use. Haven't used a boot bag in years PITA to carry
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
This is the Lange one

https://www.snowtraxstore.co.uk/boot-bags/2590-lange-basic-duo-boot-bag-2019.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAr93gBRDSARIsADvHiOrUjRAEJoN49IVCkAYEmyp9t1jORYyqtZSFe8qL4ZpbpUSE-NrXQQMaAhm1EALw_wcB

Though as @holidayloverxx suggested as hubby’s wouldn’t go in will be using a wheelie samsonite case instead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Bootbag that is within the carry on limits.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Last year with a two-leg flight to the bash I had my boots and enough clothes for one days skiing in my carry-on bag. Otherwise I have plenty of room in my suitcase for my boots and other stuff.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ski boots don't actually take up that much space in a suitcase - it's how I've been doing it for years, currently in a 70L North Face Duffel bag.

Boots get stuffed with ski socks, etc, then wrapped in snoods/base layers (to stop anything catching on the buckles). Then use the rest of your packing to padd and protect them.

I've flown a couple of times with my helmet in my checked bag too without space issues.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I agree with@Mjit, - it’s very easy to do a week’s holiday with boots and helmet in a 20-23kg hold bag. Stuff them with your socks. Whilst I appreciate s9me people may not travel as light as others, on the basis that you are wearing the only shoes that you will need for a week, plus your ski jacket etc, there’s ample space for thermals, ski trousers, after sking tops and jeans, toiletries etc.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Perty wrote:
I agree with@Mjit, - it’s very easy to do a week’s holiday with boots and helmet in a 20-23kg hold bag. Stuff them with your socks. Whilst I appreciate s9me people may not travel as light as others, on the basis that you are wearing the only shoes that you will need for a week, plus your ski jacket etc, there’s ample space for thermals, ski trousers, after sking tops and jeans, toiletries etc.

We had no trouble until we got skis, poles and boots for all for so us. Now we need to fit those into our 23kg per person it is going to be a slight challenge especially as hubby’s boots are 5.5kg in their own!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I put mine in a wheelie carry on suitcase. Fill the boots with stuff as well to make use of the space.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I obviously don't take enough clothes! Laughing

I have never had any problem with space or weight putting boots into checked-in suitcase.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
A 20kg hold luggage should be more than sufficient for all your clothes + boots. I normally share a hold luggage with my wife for all the skiing stuff and we have the biggest hand luggage possible for the rest.

I even managed to travel for a 4 days ski trip on my own with my ski boots and clothes in a hand luggage - I was impressed how worked well to be fair but I got used with travelling with not much stuff in general.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I use snokart individual boot bags (they fasten together into 'one' to carry around) which means they can be separated, and interlocked at the bottom/back of your handluggage case (my boots fit in my 35L roller bag). I can then fit all my ski wear in the same bag - bar my helmet which fits in my rucksack.
This all depends on who you fly with though.

https://www.snokart.com/collections/lightweight-ski-and-snowboard-bags/products/boot-airliner

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Tue 18-12-18 17:49; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
By boots have always gone in my case... loads of room...never end up wearing everything i take.. plus the boots are great for putting grappa bottles in on return journey !!
ski holidays
@NewSki, the link shared by @NickyJ, has a bunch of other travel boot bags in the ‘related products’ page at the bottom of the page. Just check dimensions vs airline hand luggage limits, noting that BA abs EZJ are more generous than others. We flew Gatwick to Oslo on Friday and someone had taken their well-used boots on board with no bag simply joined by the Velcro straps slung over their shoulder.
ski holidays
everything goes in one bag, if it doesnt fit in i dont take it, my golden rule of travel.
ski holidays
Everything including boots in one bag and always within 15kg. I use my cabin baggage to put helmet, gloves, goggles etc in.
snow report
I have one of the Kyber wheeled carry ons here (http://www.surfanic.co.uk/accessories/rucksacks-luggage/), never had a problem with dimensions, although some airlines differ...

My boots fit in, and I stuff them inside and around with socks, batteries etc.
latest report
I use a large North Face Base Camp duffel. It has the advantage of backpack style shoulder straps if you need to walk through a snowy resort to your lodgings.
snow report
pack most of your ski clothing, toiletories etc in your ski bag, + A smallish holdall for boots, t shirts, smalls ect. stuff socks, underwear inside the boots.
I easily get more than I need for a week within 20kg limits and only 2 bags.

I stick a small daysack that I ski with in the holdall to take as cabin luggage.
latest report
I get 23kg hold luggage and 23kg hand luggae with BA Very Happy
ski holidays
I take my boots as hand luggage. I have been using one of the "side by side" bags the last few trips and no one has batted an eye lid about taking them in the cabin. They fit in the overhead locker fine. Obviously, if flying one of the more "budget" airlines you aren't guaranteed (unless paying extra) to get them in the overhead so they could end up in the hold. To avoid this, I've now purchased a bag similar to the one others have posted above, that is more akin to a laptop bag so if needed I can put them under the seat in front of me.

The OH has always taken hers in her standard carry on wheeley bag but she has small feet/boots. Any bigger and they probably wouldn't fit.
When taking them as hand luggage we usually stuff them with a few socks or smaller items such as plug adapters etc.
snow report
NewSki wrote:
I get 23kg hold luggage and 23kg hand luggae with BA Very Happy

fill your boots with socks n things!
snow conditions
As people said, use a ski boots bag in your suitcase if your flight ticket doesn't include separate ski carriage. Otherwise send the ski bag separately.
Inside the boots I stack cosmetics/chargers/socks.
After I witnessed a family skiing in jeans because their suitcase reached Venice and was yet to arrive the next day, I bought a CabinZero backpack which holds my 1st skiing outfit (ski trousers, fleece, thermalware, buff headware, ski socks and gloves). My helmet is attached to its handle, this way I don't cross the hold baggage limitation and can go skiing far from Venice
https://www.cabinzero.com/products/classic-44-litre-ultra-light-cabin-bag-navy
snow conditions
If you can't get ski boots & all clothes in a 20kg case, you are taking too much!
snow conditions
tangowaggon wrote:
If you can't get ski boots & all clothes in a 20kg case, you are taking too much!

I agree, but similar to a previous poster am paranoid my hold luggage will end up somewhere else, so try to pack enough I can still ski out if my hand luggage...
ski holidays
I don't actually know what the situation is with the budget airlines but if you're flying on a full service airline and the lose your luggage you're entitled to spend a reasonable amount of money and claim it back. If you're just traveling for work 'reasonable' would just be some basic toiletries and a new pair of pants/socks/shirt. If you're traveling for a ski holiday* then it would cover ski/boot hire and either the hire (if available) or purchase of ski trousers/jacket (though it should be the cheapest you can find that fits and does the job or you might only get a partial refund).

Never had this happen on a ski trip but a friend's bags went AWOL on a golf trip to Scotland and BA paid for: club hire, new golf shoes/trousers/jumper/waterproof jacket without a quibble. Although I'm sure the budget airlines would try to get out of it I'd guess they would still be considered liable - it might just take a bit more paperwork and arguing to get your money back.

Also for a ski holiday are you REALLY travelling without travel insurance? This would normally have some cover for lost/delayed baggage that will cover the cost of kit hire/clothing replacement. I'd certainly go for one of these rather than ski in jeans!

* Where you MIGHT run in to issues is if the airline say 'a ski bag should only contains skis/boards, poles and boots' in their T&Cs and you've packed it with all your clothes too. They COULD then just cover the the cost of ski/boot hire but refuse to cover everything else as it shouldn't have been there (by the letter of the T&Cs).
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Mjit, I have no idea what your friend's status/ticket was and I'm glad things went smooth for him, but from what I hear from everyone around me flying with different European companies, things don't resolve so great.
One of us was told that you have to declare a higher value for ski carriage/suitcase {meaning you'll pay more for your ticket as insurance but then you'll be refunded a higher amount in case they will lose his baggage). And probably no one travels abroad without insurance which usually includes suitcase as well (not sure if winter sports insurance covers ski carriage lost) for basic coverage.
Things don't usually get lost, but misplaced. Some companies will pay UP TO 150 US$ for the delay, Lufthansa UP TO 50%. See here:
https://www.lufthansa.com/de/en/baggage-irregularities
For me, the problem is simpler: I have everything I need and I don't fancy wasting time or money buying smth else/more. That's why I wear my ski coat while flying and I put in my CabinZero everything I need to go straight skiing. In case my suitcase will arrive two days later, i will hardly need anything besides basics. Why go skiing in jeans/buy a new set hoping to get smth back if one can plan in advance?
snow conditions
drporat wrote:
@Mjit, ... I don't fancy wasting time or money buying smth else/more....

This, especially as I usually only go for long weekends...

Going back to the OP, I have heard of some people wearing ski boots when challenged over hand luggage, but I think the airlines have tightened up on that!
snow conditions
As a family we have one of these each:
https://www.sportsdirect.com/nevica-lge-ski-holdall-91-407240?colcode=40724003
They fit our boots at each end and have plenty of space in the middle for everything else. I don't travel light, but have always managed to stay within the airlines' weight limits. If travelling for a long weekend, I take my ski bag as my main luggage and pack shoes and some clothes in this. I then take my boots and other ski bits in a carry on case.
ski holidays
EarthWindandWater wrote:
tangowaggon wrote:

I agree, but similar to a previous poster am paranoid my hold luggage will end up somewhere else, so try to pack enough I can still ski out if my hand luggage...

In reality I travel with boots & some clothes in a carry on, rest of clothes go in with the skis.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy