Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

MTB within 2 hours of Munich

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All

The Mrs and I and thinking about a mid to late Sept (covid allowing) mini break flying into Munich to do some mountain biking and hiking and looking for some suggestions within a couple of hours of Munich.

Was thinking about Lofer / Waidring or Soll and the wider Skiwelt, but haven't been to either during the summer and wonder if anyone had any advice regarding these areas or maybe suggest somewhere else?

Both of us are fairly proficient MTBers and nothing really stops us apart from big drops or really steep stuff. Mainly do natural rides at home in and around the Yorkshire Dales and the Peak District and also most of the forrest trails in the north of England.

Rather than taking our bikes, was thinking of hiring emtbs in resort to try and flatten out some of the steeper hills / go further afield Cool .

Any help about these areas or other suggestions are most welcome Very Happy

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
This is definitely on my want to do list.

It's worth adding Kitzbuhel and Leogang / Saalbach to your list to check out. For Soll it looks like the sunny side of the hill is more popular so check Brixen and Hopfgarten.

I'd also be looking to see what lifts will be open and taking bikes as you go further into September.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Kirchberg would be a great location then !! We do hold annual mountain biking championships usually late June. Whether anything`s going ahead this year, Id doubt it at this point.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Saalbach Hinterglemm is a good choice, easy to get to, lots of bike rental, established trails, as well as free ride. I stayed here for a couple of weeks one winter, a nice little unpretentious hotel on the main drag.

https://www.bikehotel-salzburg.com/en/
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Take a look at the mtb thread
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I’ve mountain biked Saalbach/Leogang, Wagrain and Schladming.

Saalbach is fantastic. Mixture of man made and semi natural trails. The Leogang side is pretty much man made, but excellent.

Wagrain only has a few runs and is closed this summer while they build a new lift.

Schladming is good, but there is a smaller range of runs. They’re all on the more technical side of things and I could’ve done with a bit more bounce than I had (140mm suss). 140mm manages most at Saalbach fine, but you’d be more comfortable if you had a bit more.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@mauddib, too many choices to mention.
I spend most of my time biking in the Garmisch region. Some absolutely stunning scenery and great trails at all levels. E-Bikes can be hired in town, but I have no experience with that yet.
Garmisch does not yet do any uplift for bikers. If that's what you want then somewhere like Saalbach or Kitzbühel might be perfect for you. Saalbach has invested a lot into bike infrastructure over the past few years...
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The bike park in Solden, bike lift up by gondola, usually works until end of September. Ive been there 2019 for 1 week starting 21st September, also visited bike park Serfaus for one day, also chairlift assisted.
Epic descents, really enjoyed that. Also SPA Aqua Dome worth a visit.

Yes, little bit more than 2h, may be 3h to Solden.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@mauddib, do be aware that September is the peak month for walking, biking etc in the mountains near Munich. The weather is often dry & sunny, warm but not the heat & thunderstorms of July (of course this September will be cold & wet!). At weekends there can be serious crowds on the hill and in the trains and big traffic jams (can be as bad as winter peak weekends). The crowds are generally weekend focused although the Bavarian schools dont go back until around 10th September. There is plenty of choice with lots of bike hire places. You might be better off away from one of the more well known skiing spots.

A few suggestions, the Wilder & Zahmer Kaiser - lots of great walks, even straight forward Klettersteig / Via Feratta, stay in Kufstein, Scheffau, St Johann or Walchsee. Karwendel - beautiful limestone peaks, stay in a peaceful valley in one of a couple of small hamlets, Hinterriss or Eng (the valley is in Austria but only accessible from Germany) its fairly remote so you need a car and hire bikes on the way in either Garmisch or Lenggries. If you want somewhere with a bit more "civilisation" look at Bayrischzell, a village on the end of a train line so you would not need a car, set in the middle of the mountains (a fair number of ski lifts but no idea if they take bikes) with lots of walks and bike routes. Many other places too.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If travelling a little further is an option, have a look at the Salzkammergut. Once a year, it’s home to the Salzkammergut Trophy, a number of MTB races, considered to be amongst the toughest in Europe https://www.salzkammergut-trophy.at/

If you’re planning on eMTBs, the routes become far, far easier and take in some awesome sights and views around the Bad Ischl, Bad Goisern and Hallstatt areas.

Dachstein West, the Winter ski area, also opens up MTB trails in the Summer.

There are many, many other MTB options around the mountains and lakes in the Salzkammergut. Hiring eMTBs isn’t a problem - loads of decent options.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Saalbach hosts the annual “World Games of Mountain Biking”. https://www.saalbach.com/en/events/worldgames
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy