Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chalet tipping etiquette

Poster: A snowHead
I'm off to Tignes next month and staying in a chalet for the first time. I wondered about tipping etiquette? "Obliged" to leave something at the end of the week, or only if you feel that the food/service etc has been good? Cheers
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would never feel obliged, but if the chalet staff have done a good job, not burnt the food and helped make your stay then a little something goes a long way.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@dobby, €20 per person. Unless it is totally poo-poo...in which case you will have already complained
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@dobby, I don’t think an obligation to tip. I usually do if chalet staff have given good service. They don’t usually get paid much and in my experience nearly all work very hard.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@dobby, if the staff are doing a good job, tip them mid week (before their night off). @holidayloverxx has it about right, I reckon for decent friendly service.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I remember tipping €10 for helpful friendly service about 10 years ago when I did quite a few chalet holidays, so I guess inflation will probably have seen that nearly double.

Once I was in a quandary about what to do when there was more than one staff member in a larger chalet. I think I gave it to the girl who was front of house and the most proactive/helpful and hoped she shared it out. There were 36 guests, so would have been quite a big pot if everyone tipped her and she kept it all!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Normally a group of us in Chalet. We let the chalet staff know early on that we do tip if they do a decent job - we make a joke of it and let’s them know a little effort will see them ok. Usually does the trick - one year we had an unbelievably lazy and slack couple, gave them a doughnut!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I’m not a fan of ‘dangling’ tips by telling them in advance. It’s like waving a twenty at the bar man.

I’d rather just be polite and nice to them and let them do their jobs. Then it’s 20€ each usually although my last chalet trip was 5 years ago. I’ve ended up being a reference for some chalet hosts!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
+1 on Nadenoodlee says.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
+2.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We also found the whole tipping thing baffling.
We had two chalet hosts and a driver so in the end I think we stuck 60 euros in a card.
I've no idea if the driver would have got any of that so maybe this year will just tip each staff member individually.
Tipping in general is a mine field - we're just back from New York and it felt like you were expected to tip every tom dick and harry.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
IME tips are pooled
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
You can always ask the staff
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
i always leave my loose change,
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The tipping thread
snow conditions
@Layne, cheers
snow report
We normally tip around €10 a head and give it too them the night before their midweek day off
snow conditions
I stayed at the Hotel Gran Bosco in Sauze a couple of years ago, they have a mini bus driver called Gigi. Wherever you were you could give Gigi a call and he'd come and pick you up free of charge - no arguments. On departure day i gave him €30. He must make a mint during the season.

Re chalets, if everyone gives a tenner then that should suffice.
latest report
We usually do 10e pp (group of 10-12, sole use chalet) plus contact the chalet company ahead of arrival asking if there is anything the staff would like taking out (has included Cadbury’s chocolate, mature cheddar, HP sauce, trashy gossip magazines, potato masher......). We’re polite and easy-going and don’t treat the chalet staff as slaves.

We’ve heard tales of past clients, that defy belief. Last year, the guests before us had been a multi family group with several children who ran riot through the chalet, amongst other things, firing ‘splurge’ guns at each other. No censure from the parents, but left the staff having to clean lime green gunge from the sofas and timber walls (some evidence remained, which had proven impossible to remove). Another group constantly changed what time they’d like dinner served, expected staff to ‘baby sit’ their children whilst they went for pre-dinner beers, were dismissive and unpleasant all week, and then left without so much as a thank you, never mind a tip. Appalling behaviour Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
Definitely tip if the staff have done a good job and been helpful and smiling all week. If not then don't. Staff are paid very badly for the amount of work they do but their pay really is just 'beer' money or what ever else they want to spend it on. Tips can help that stretch to something more substantial. If in a small chalet with only 2 or 3 staff and they have all been good leave a 20e PP (in the party) tip and tell them to share it. If in a larger chalet such as a 'chalet hotel', with many staff. make sure they do share tips, and again 20e PP is reasonable for a week of what I would hope would be excellent service. That way even the often unseen members of staff will have a fair share.
latest report
Montana---As you have alluded to. Sometimes guests can be a complete nightmare and they make staffs life a misery whilst they are there, but as I used to say. They are only there for 7 days and staff have the whole winter doing what they would love to do if only they had the chance so staff have the last laugh!
snow report
I guess the Dynamic has/will change this season in French Chalets where the staff have to be paid French minimum rate, nearly €10 an hour, have to have 2 days off a week and can only work the basic French week of 35 hours (there are some loopholes but not many) so the poor under paid chalet slave sympathy tipping may stop?
ski holidays
boredsurfin - oh come on 10 euros per person, are you really saying you dont want to make such a small offer of appreciation if the chalet staff have done a good job!
ski holidays
As a former long-time chalet dude and chalet operator, @Nadenoodlee + 1,000,000. That sort of "banter" is very likely to have the opposite effect to the one you intended. That is to say, you'll get the exactly the same hard work and service that everyone else gets. It'll just be served with a strong helping of internal disdain and painted on smiles.
snow conditions
As a former long-time chalet dude and chalet operator, @Nadenoodlee + 1,000,000. That sort of "banter" is very likely to have the opposite effect to the one you intended. That is to say, you'll get the exactly the same hard work and service that everyone else gets. It'll just be served with a strong helping of internal disdain and painted on smiles.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy