Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best value snow sure resorts for Easter.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We normally ski in February but might have to go at Easter next year. We’ve skied in Tignes a few times and Les 2 Alpes too but more recently enjoyed cheaper food and drink in Austria and Andorra. We are going with two other families of intermediates and beginners. I was thinking Tignes Val Claret is pretty good for nursery slopes and ski in ski out but it’s never cheap and most of the group won’t get the benefit of the great skiing. What are the other options for Easter?

Thanks

Dan
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Easter is quite late (17th April) - so high Austrian resorts (or resorts with access to high slopes) will fit the bill for snow - and lower costs than France:

- St Anton (& area)
- Soelden
- Obergurgl
- Obertauern
- Kuhtai (though small area)
- Hintertux Glacier (and highest non-glacial areas nearby should also be open)
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Flexon, by "Easter" do you mean "school Easter holidays" - can be a difference of a couple of weeks depending on when Easter falls and the school?

Also, are you happy skiing on artificial snow? Many resorts have good snow making facilities that extend the season.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Flexon, you say best value. Had amazing value holiday in Mayrhofen for Easter a couple of years ago.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As@mountainaddict, says Easter is late next year so you really should be looking at high resorts, which in my opinion would rule out Andora and unless you a a drinker and smoker no cheeper than France. (yes, I've skied there at Easter and it was a slush fest).

Tignes would, of course be an excellent choice, as would most of the Tarrentaise resorts. It stayes open a bit later than the other resorts in the region for obvious reasons. Personnaly I would go to le Lac rather than Val Claret. Others may disagree but I think the slopes around there are a bit more beginner friendly and there are more alternative activities such as the indoor climbing wall and swimming pool. In fact it is usually open until the first week of May, wheras the likes of Les Arcs will close a couple of weeks earlier. Val Claret stays open a bit longer

I suspect Les Arcs will close next year imediately after the Easter holiday week. It does this not so much because the snow has gone but the customers have gone. People still look strangely at me when I say I'm going skiing late April. Based upon my experience of going to Soldeu a few years ago while my wife went to Les Arcs the lift pass in Les Arcs was less expensive that the one in Andora.

My list for Easter 2022 skiing would go like this:

Tignes
Les Arcs
Val Thorens
Les Menuires (you wanted less expensive)
La Plagne

Tignes and Val Thorens being the most expensive
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
LEs Menuires is great for families-big, wide steep blues and reds. But be prepared for pistes which are (ahem) a tad firm in the morning, and slushy mid afternoon onwards.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
LEs Menuires is great for families-big, wide steep blues and reds. But be prepared for pistes which are (ahem) a tad firm in the morning, and slushy mid afternoon onwards.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I should clarify I mean the Easter holidays so the beginning of April 2022 for us. After Skiing all the big resorts in France for about 15 years it was a bit of a revelation to go to Austria where the mountain restaurants were so much cheaper, the lifts were better and the toilets were spotless. Any other year I would try Kuhtai but I’m only going to book with a big company where I can reschedule or get a refund and I can’t find a tour operator that goes there.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I should clarify I mean the Easter holidays so the beginning of April 2022 for us. After Skiing all the big resorts in France for about 15 years it was a bit of a revelation to go to Austria where the mountain restaurants were so much cheaper, the lifts were better and the toilets were spotless. Any other year I would try Kuhtai but I’m only going to book with a big company where I can reschedule or get a refund and I can’t find a tour operator that goes there.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just go back Austria, the snow won't have melted at Easter and all the resorts are open. Its going to be a bit soft in the afternoon on sun facing slopes, but that would be the same in Tignes etc. Austria being further east compensates for a slightly lower altitude, plus its cheaper, less crowded, etc etc
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Flexon, my TR

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3396253&highlight=mayrhofen#3396253
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Flexon, time of the year wise you have to take the rough with the smooth. February is smack bang in the middle of the season, so full snow cover is guaranteed. But equally it can be very wintry and it can be very busy. Early April the season is on the turn but the snow cover is generally still there. Days will be longer, pistes a bit icy in the morning, a bit slushy in the afternoon, resorts will be fully open still but have that end of season feel. Generally the weather will be very pleasant. Personally I wouldn't sweat the snow conditions to much. While Kuhtai itself is high at 2020m the skiing tops out at 2520m which is not especially high. Personally I've no issue staying at 1300-1500m as long as I have access to skiing above 2000m for most of the day and can ski home on man made snow.

Other thing is early April is not peak season so you can you book late and especially with Covid that is what I would do.

It sounds like you are sold on Austria or Andorra which is not my area of expertise on specifics of resorts/areas, although I have been to some Austrian resorts a good while ago.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Other thing is early April is not peak season so you can you book late and especially with Covid that is what I would do.

Good advice. There may be a slight increase in visitors later on during the Easter holidays, but I cannot see it happening next year
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Some reliably good resorts for later season in Austria are Serfaus / Fiss, Mayrhofen (already mentioned above) and some of the other Zillertal areas like Gerlos, Obergurgl, Lech / Zurs / St Anton and the Gasteins.

Pros and cons of all of the above and some more suited to families, convenience etc. than others. I will have no doubt also missed others that are good.

There's obviously the glaciers though most not with a resort at the bottom but accessible from places like Kaprun / Zell am Zee, Mayrhofen etc.

I've also been to the likes of Alpbach that first week of April and was due to be in Saalbach that week last year but Covid banjaxed that! Most resorts like that are still really enjoyable that week. Yes it will be slushy lower down and might be a white strip from mid mountain to resort but with great skiing higher up on much quieter slopes.

I must say I love that week as have (generally) been lucky weather wise with good weather to enjoy longer days and beer and good, reasonably priced food outside in the sun Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:
After Skiing all the big resorts in France for about 15 years it was a bit of a revelation to go to Austria
That's why (despite loving the skiing of the France mega-areas) I suggested only Austrian places wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy