Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Go pro?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all.

We are off on our second ski holiday soon and l would like to give my 10 and 12 year olds a camera to play with on the slopes.

I have about £150 to spend. I am not great at navigating tech specs and amazon reviews seem up and down. I'd appreciate some snowheads advice.

Many thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@daleh, we bought our son (now 14) a gopro a few years ago. Pretty much a waste of money.

Most of the footage was poor and then he got bored with it.

Best footage we've had is from a handheld camcorder (mostly taken by my wife) and these days from a smartphone (we all have them).
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@daleh, I can recommend the Crosstour CT 9500 GoPro copy, excellent video quality, image stabilisation and comes with a bucket load of all the accessories you’ll need, about £70 off Amazon
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The main problem I've found with GoPro style cameras is that it takes a lot of handling practice, a bit of luck and tons of trawling/editing afterwards to get decent footages. The 360 cameras are better in that they need less practice as everything in view is filmed. However the need to edit afterwards is nearly as bad.

The last trip we just used our phones with selfie sticks as they're easier to point and shoot.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The best bit about the current crop of Gopros is the image stabilisation software. It dramatically increased the amount of usable footage you have to work with
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I unused to work for Olympus so know the build quality is great.

The TG Tracker was a very expensive camera but it is now available for£130-150.

It is hand held but key is it is waterproof so you can take it on holiday in the pool or beach.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
PS I bought one
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Layne wrote:
@daleh, we bought our son (now 14) a gopro a few years ago. Pretty much a waste of money.

I think it depends what footage you're after and what you intend to do with it. Action cameras have a certain type of POV style shot but don't stand up to anything at a distance. Plus as mentioned above there is a certain phase where you need to get used to where they're actually pointing when you're skiing.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've been getting some seriously good footage with my GoPro Hero 6, white water rafting and zip lining footage from Costa Rica, snowboarding footage from Tignes in last two seasons, both helmet mounted and on telescopic arm. The newer versions of GoPro are very good IMO but expensive. Also, quality wise, good set up for video resolution and decently sized memory card are essential.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads

http://youtube.com/v/RIJiS0vi398

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Drift-Innovation-Weather-Resistant-Accessories-Black/dp/B07DGFYXTY/?tag=amz07b-21

£131.23 inc external mic and 128Gb microSD card
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
By far the best ski footage is obtained with a gimbal stabilised camera. Look up the DJI Osmo Pocket.

More than 150 quid though.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
What about a gimbal and smartphone? Any good?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yes, the DJI Mobile phone stabiliser is also very good. Quite bulky though and if you fall off you will likely break it. The gimbals have travel stops but like most DJI stuff the whole thing is diecast magnesium and quite flimsy. And its battery life is poor (tens of mins at best) whereas the Osmo Pocket will run for hours. It takes a 256GB SD card so at 1920x1080 50m you can shoot all week.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Never heard of a "gimbal". Is that one of those things you never knew you needed but really do?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Layne A Gumball is the expensive stabiliser you attached it to to keep the picture steady. Most newer cams (even on some very expensive phones) have this built in.

After I lost mine last year, I looked at the various options.

Gopro5 was ok, at about £150, but has internal battery, up to 4 hours claimed. Not sure of recharge times, so opted for one with a removable battery, and spares.

Just got gopro7 Black. with spare battery, £300, and separate 3 battery charger pack + 2 batteries (£35) so more than you want to spend.
Hope to get some good footage on the bash.

I would suggest 200-256Gb sd cards, unless they have another device to download to. Use a brand you know.

Also, a chest harness gives a more stable shot of what is in front than on the head. It's very tiring trying to ski and hold a camera at arm's length
ski holidays
@brianatab,

Sorry, wrong on so many things.

A gimbal is an external mounting for a camera, it can be actively (with small motors a gyroscope and lot's of tech software) that will keep the camera stabilised on a varying degree of axis.

Most cameras and phones use only software stabilisation, this is not the same as gimbal, this uses software the work out how to make the footage less jumpy by cropping the image and stitching it all together.

Gopro5 has a number of variants, the hero5 black has a removable battery and is not hugely different from the hero6 black.

Cards come in various sizes, you get a 256gb but the next size down is 128gb. I wouldn't use anything over 64gb personally but have a number of cards as you don't really want 200+ GB of footage to edit. And multiple cards protect from card failure and you can also use them for different mounting options or days.

the head actually gives a more stable view, if you avoid lots of checking left/right as it's the most stable part of the body being inherently the most stable bit.
snow report
Peter Stevens wrote:
By far the best ski footage is obtained with a gimbal stabilised camera. Look up the DJI Osmo Pocket.

More than 150 quid though.
The electronic stabilisation of the current action cams is pretty close to gimbal quality stabilisation, and they are less cumbersome to mount to you (head or chest) than the Osmo Pocket, which is a bit of a pain to ski with if you are hand holding it. The stabilisation of the 360 cams (GoPro Max, Insta360 One X and probably the new R) is even better and gives more framing opportunities albeit sacrificing resolution, although as you say all these are above the budget in the OP.
ski holidays
Got an Osmo Pocket for Xmas, have a rucksack strap mount for it. Only plan to use it on simple piste skiing as it looks too delicate for me tumbling off piste, my lad has a gopro for that purpose! It's been easy to set up and use for filming out on dog walks, and made a decent job when hand held at Castleford at the weekend to try it out skiing.
ski holidays
I think you will find the electronic (software) stabilisation is nothing like the gimbal stabilised cams, but is certainly more robust.

It depends on what you want to shoot. If you want to do what most people want to do - something to remind you of fooling around on a holiday - it is fine. But if you want a really "pro" result, where the distant background is pretty well rock steady as you ski down the hill...
snow conditions
I have had pretty good results with a chest mount. It depends on whether you are skiing alone, or with a large group. Looking round for other group members whilst using a head mount can create a lot of checking left/right. Unedited, this can be difficult to watch.

A gimbal is an expensive addition, which the op budget would rule out, and the electronic software stabilisation would suffice for any 10/12 year olds.

@daleh, A portable power bank might be useful for recharging the cams. can double up for phones,
snow conditions
Peter Stevens wrote:
I think you will find the electronic (software) stabilisation is nothing like the gimbal stabilised cams, but is certainly more robust.
It's getting close for removing small camera movements, judder, etc. The difference between the Osmo Pocket and the GoPro 8 is not too large if you want to smooth things out (rather than lock an axis).
snow report
This is head mounted with a Hero 8. I’m impressed - it’s idiot proof and miles better than the old 5 but double the OP’s budget. (YouTube has lowered the res - it’s crystal clear on my screen)

http://youtube.com/v/lMCM6rvuwcg

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 9-01-20 23:36; edited 2 times in total
snow report
The GoPro Hero8 Black Hypersmooth 2.0 in my opinion completely removes the need for a gimbal. Well, probably for 95% of users!

http://youtube.com/v/uMZV0x6nrKI

As for the OP. I'd try and pick up a 2nd hand GoPro off Ebay. Having run with other action cams and now swapped to GoPro, there is a reason why they are the industry leader.
snow conditions
Peter Stevens wrote:
... If you want to do what most people want to do - something to remind you of fooling around on a holiday - it is fine.
But if you want a really "pro" result, where the distant background is pretty well rock steady as you ski down the hill...
Off Topic, but as we're willy waving....

It's obviously not possible to have a "distant background rock steady" unless the foreground skier (in relation to whom the camera is relatively fixed as they're carrying it is moving wildly.
Unless you're not actually moving I suppose.
There's a compromise to be made.
Modern 360 cameras (a) allow you to make the compromise during the edit without framing limitations; and (b) they're simpler hence cheaper. Other benefits also accrue.

Here's a willy wave from my Rylo 360 camera last week.
Snowboarding in Blue River 2019-2020 from phil 45464
https://vimeo.com/383277860

--
The GoPro 8 is impressive and will deliver way better quality footage than consumer 360 cameras today, assuming you use the full bandwidth features on it and know what you're doing.
My GoPro mates now use the Max (the Fusion done right) for reasons as above.
Possibly for kids the traditional POV camera may be better because they're easier to use.
The new Insta360 1R is a compromise solution possibly for that reason.

--
On the OP... when I was that age I'd know precisely which camera I wanted and why.
Assuming your people don't, then I'd buy the simplest / cheapest Chinese POV camera I could get and let them play with it.
If they work out what's wrong with it, at that point they and you will know what to buy and why. The chances are everyone will have a lot of fun and that will be that.
snow conditions
@daleh, do you have any old cameras you can trade in?

https://gopro.com/en/gb/shop/tradeup

or GoPro HERO7 Silver for £150

https://amzn.to/2R69ydk

@philwig, I've also gone Max purely for the reframing.
snow report
philwig wrote:
A 360-camera and snowboarding really is a great combination. In the hands of a skilled rider, who isn't going to be spinning their shoulders around like a top, it's easy for someone unfamiliar with the technology to be uncertain where the camera actually is. Only the occasional shadow gives the game away.
latest report
many thanks for all of the input guys -- very helpful as usual
@kitenski @brianatab @Layne @kenX
snow conditions
Try ebay..... Apeman 1080 action camera is basic, but decent quality enough for a first gopro-type. Seen then go for less than £25 quid.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks @skimastaaah, the price and reviews are amazing. I think l'm going to go for an Apeman. Cheers Very Happy
ski holidays
SJ cam good as well, in fact so good my my kids don't argue over who gets that and who gets the real gopro
latest report
I won a GoPro in the Christmas works raffle a few years back. It was a base model which the battery is fixed, ie you can't replace it.

While I was dead chuffed with it as it took rather good videos of my mates, once the battery died it's now pretty useless. So the moral is go for something that the battery can be replaced.

A mate of mine has the contour roam and that is very good for the money.
latest report
davkt wrote:
SJ cam good as well, in fact so good my my kids don't argue over who gets that and who gets the real gopro

I was having a good old stare at these - as a result of this thread - look good. Do you recommend a particular model to try?

We have an ancient something or other that went in a waterproof case, used once and not missed once lost! I would like to take pictures & stuff on trips but rarely bother taking my camera out!
snow report
Plenty of reviews of cheaper action cams here:

http://www.techmoan.com/blog/category/action-cameras

And much background info here:

https://www.goprawn.com/
ski holidays
@daleh, There's quite a few on Ebay right now. I bought an Apeman A70 to replace my Delkin Wingman as the waterproof housing got cracked with use. I was realli impressed with the package. Apeman carry case, TWO Lithium batteries, a spare housing door, plenty of accessories for clips, retainers, attachments. The 12 megapixel camera gives great picture quality, downloading files to my laptop is fast and I can edit easily. I bought two infact, and use as back-ups for each other.

Utter bargains at under £25 each, and both brand new.

If you want a bargain-basement camera try the Apeman, check out their website. I was so impressed I bought an Apeman Dash Camera as well.
snow conditions
kittya wrote:
davkt wrote:

I was having a good old stare at these - as a result of this thread - look good. Do you recommend a particular model to try?

We have an ancient something or other that went in a waterproof case, used once and not missed once lost! I would like to take pictures & stuff on trips but rarely bother taking my camera out!

Ours is a 5000x, a few years old but still plenty on Amazon new
snow conditions
Hi Have a Gopro hero 7 silver for sale. With a Gopro chest harness (worth £30).

Brand new, only opened the box up to charge the camera.

Chest harness is still in its packaging. I Will let it go for £130 plus P+P
ski holidays
Plus the SD card (think it is 64gb).worth £15.
ski holidays
USed my son's copy - Aksio? last year but quite often the fully charged battery packed up - the cold I suspect. I might try and buy a new battery for this trip and see if it fares better. The footage we did get, whilst crystal clear was a bit nausia inducing from the chest mount due to the side to side motion. I gues the only way to avoid this is an expensive gimble?
snow conditions
@MHskier, it looks ridiculous but a mouth mount is a cheap way to avoid shake. Your head is naturally stabilised so does the job for you. Worth having a tether for it though and obviously not a good idea if one is prone to falling. Otherwise it's a case of sticking with the chest mount and just trying to ski smooth and keep tits to the valley, or spending quids on a gimbal.

Cold is a real pain for the batteries, another reason i like the mouth mount is that you can tuck the camera in a pocket on lifts etc.
ski holidays
philwig wrote:

Snowboarding in Blue River 2019-2020 from phil 45464
https://vimeo.com/383277860

that's some of the better 360 footage taken by a snowhead, really nice, of course it is ideal when boarding as you have hands free.

[that doesn't mean the other 360 footage wasn't good !]
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy