Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hire cars

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys,
Looking into hire cars for the sopib, past experience says we can shoehorn 4 largeish people, skis & luggage into a Renault megane estate, is the Focus estate a similar size? £100 cheaper than the Megane.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
In my experience you often don't get the actual model ordered but one from the same size range. I think they are both officially compact estates so they should be similar.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Megane, Golf, Focus, Astra etc are all "same size" platform, so generally comparable in size.

The Megane just looks a little wider though, not a technical view but just appears that way Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@tangowaggon, as Tbar says, what you actually get offered at the desk is, in our experience, extremely unlikely to be the model you’ve booked. Our best example was GVA airport last year; with relatives coming over we needed a 7 seater so booked the cheapest option, a Zafira, I think. At desk - sorry sir, only 7 seater we have at the moment is a VW Transporter Minibus for 9 Shocked ... Er, sure you haven’t got anything just a touch more compact? Well, we do have this brand new Renault Espace but it’s automatic and you'd need to wait 10 minutes whilst we finish taking off the protective films etc....Oh, OK - cue one very cosseted, leather lined weekend Laughing
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just back from GVA where Hertz upgraded my absolutely-cheapest-basic-2dr-manual to a new BMW 118d xDrive, 4-dr, electric leather heated seats, pro nav etc., all-in about £24/day. I think it helped being a Hertz Gold member (free to join). This also gave us a free 2nd driver, which is always useful backup. As I posted elsewhere, I always suggest people take a look at the GVA car hire page first, which use the .ch car rental landing pages - sometimes these have rates and options (such as minibuses) that you don't see on the .com page (not always, but worth a shot): http://www.gva.ch/en/desktopdefault.aspx/tabid-72/ and if Hertz look reasonable, join the Gold scheme as it doesn't do any harm and may save time or get you an upgrade.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 14-12-18 12:21; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@tangowaggon, Focus estate will be fine and like others say, wouldn't surprise me if you end up with a Megane anyway
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Arrived at the rental desk in Salt Lake City expecting to get a mini SUV which was what I had booked. I need the headroom.

They said I could have an Impala but when I tried to get in it hurt, just not enough head room.

So they said what about this, it is all we have left. I tried it and much to my surprise I could get in comfortably and it had enough headroom.

Which was why I drove out in a Ford Mustang with the 5 litre V8. However I took it back after 3 days and got a mini SUV. It is HORRIBLE to drive on snow in the Cottonwood Canyons.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@TQA, try that over Christmas and you get what your given and you need a 4x4 as they rarely plough little cottonwood quick enough.
We have however booked a small SUV and got a nice Ford expedition brand new.

However changing your arm at Christmas in SLC is madness so we now book what we need as we go for 3 weeks

Last time it was cheaper to hit Vegas for a few days , drive up and drive back to Vegas in a range rover than it was to hire a standard size SUV in SLC

Utah prices have gone mad , and that's before we talk about lift passes ( had every Christmas bar 3 in SLC since 04 ) and last year $1.21 to the £ made it eyewatering
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
harvsurrey, interesting about Utah car hire prices, I've always had a good deals there and cheap prices.

Standard size SUV this year booked for £564 inc. full tank and extra driver, for 18 days skiing I don't think is too bad. Madeye-Smiley

I'll try and talk Mary into giving a free upgrade again too, like last year Toofy Grin

Agree about lift passes, although Mountain Collective, or Ikon passes are making the place cheaper to ski again - which isn't really good.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
£564 over Christmas?

Paid over a £1k last year and avis had a "don't even ask for an upgrade" sign.

Think we arrived in SLC on 20th till the 5th Jan last year.

Espace killy this year as I swapped jobs and didn't have the holiday but I won't miss paying Deer Valley $135 each for a pass !

Though lunch in the Stein was very pleasant
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
harvsurrey, No, Feb into March, but if booking early it doesn't really matter about your dates - I've tried different ones before for comparison Smile I can understand the ' no upgrade sign ' though Madeye-Smiley

Only skied Deer Valley first year we went to UT,I know what you mean about lunch though - don't even bother venturing to the back side any more Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bones wrote:
harvsurrey, - don't even bother venturing to the back side any more Madeye-Smiley

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
There's a relief
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
tangowaggon, Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

Backside of the Wasatch Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
“Intermediate Wagon” is the class of motor you need:

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2689451
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Bones,

Outside Christmas/New year it's not so bad

Christmas Can see every SUV gone from the Lot

Snowbasin is preferred to deer Valley these days .

Be good to see what happens if the winter Olympics goes back .
snow conditions
harvsurrey wrote:
@TQA, try that over Christmas and you get what your given and you need a 4x4 as they rarely plough little cottonwood quick enough.
We have however booked a small SUV and got a nice Ford expedition brand new.

However changing your arm at Christmas in SLC is madness so we now book what we need as we go for 3 weeks

Last time it was cheaper to hit Vegas for a few days , drive up and drive back to Vegas in a range rover than it was to hire a standard size SUV in SLC

Utah prices have gone mad , and that's before we talk about lift passes ( had every Christmas bar 3 in SLC since 04 ) and last year $1.21 to the £ made it eyewatering

I go in Feb for three weeks skiing Alta, Snowbird and Canyons now mostly. Occasional trips up to Snowbasin and Powder Mountain as a ski buddy likes it there..

I am reluctant to visit Deer Valley. I love the resort but seem to be unlucky with the sort of people that run in to me there. I think I have been wiped out on almost every visit by out of control loonies.
latest report
Know what you mean.

And think we have skied every resort

Worst ever Brighton ..... never ever again
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy