Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La thuille.... have we made a mistake? Lots of reds!?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi
We've booked la thuille and studying piste map were bit concearned about number of red and the severity of them! We are a very mixed ability group and usually ski in pila or cervinia because we know that most reds there are fairly easy wide cruisers, you do sometimes get a slightly steeper section but generally we can handle it, interested to hear from anyone who has skied la thuille, especially the section at top of the gondola and the belvedere/toriesse at the very top? more to the point can anyone give us an idea of which reds to avoid that ar tricky?!! Thanks!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I found all of the reds in La Thuile to be fine. Occasional steeps but fine. Resort run Red 7 is that easy it is actually boring. Everything in the les Suches bowl is flat as a pancake. I love resort run red 6 and all of the reds in the col.

La Thuile is lovely, great value.....as long as the wind doesn't blow Skullie
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Agreed ... there are a couple of really tasty blacks through the trees but they are avoidable.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@cbowls30,
You'll love it!

From memory, just go up on the Gondala in the morning and its all pretty easy, the only steep I can remember is the black down beneath the gondola at the end of the day.
You can always take the Gondola down again.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@cbowls30, You've made a great choice for your ski destination. There's nothing too tricky, a lot of pistes are wide and open. You may just get bored/frozen on the long drags Bellcombe 1/2, and there is nice Blue skiing down to the Col Petit St Bernard. Chalet Express area is really gentle, but not huge, expect beginners to hog this area. Even the Blacks are user-friendly, Diretta (No. 2) has a wonderful gradient with enough width for anyone to bail out. The red back from La Rosiere (Bouquetin) is just a bit of a pantsy track but don't be put off going to La Rosiere, there's some well decent (and easy) skiing there.

Great little resort, and if you get the Val d'Aoste lift pass you can ski Courmayeur (30 mins by bus), and Cervinia, Champoluc areas. The latter two are a bit of a treck though.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@cbowls30, those reds are huge cruise blues Toofy Grin the two blacks down are true bum squirters if not knee deep in powder. Don't go to LaRoz if there's a strong wind over the coll, you'll end up walking most of the way there. If you like quiet evenings and a nice gentle Italian vibe with great food, you'll love it there. Bone up on some simple Italian too if you're a bit short on lingo. Last time I was there even the little restos had impressive wine lists Toofy Grin
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My nieces were very pleased to tell me "we even skied a black run" on their first ski hol in La Thuile. Daddy did admit it was not without its moment of histrionics from the elder re him and mummy being unfit parents at the start but that was perception v. reality.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Skied La Rosiere a number of times and usually end up over in La Thuile. For a start the food and drink is much better (and cheaper). The Le Foyer bar on Red 10 does pretty good pizzas and Roxy at the bottom of Fourclaz is a useful stopping place, especially for a Bombadino.

As Frosty alluded to, if the wind blows it can be cold as it's generally North facing, especially on the Col. However, this is also part of the appeal, as if La Rosiere gets soft and sugary due to the sun (as South facing slopes), then you can be sure the snow is generally better over the other side. This can mean the runs can be a little icy lower down. Unfortunately, hardly any of the lifts in either resorts are covered.

Both are great little resorts and I've never really seen either of them particularly busy. The runs are generally wide and even most of the blacks are not too difficult. The Belvedere black has a steeper bit but is still wide.

Enjoy snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You've made a great choice - my better half loved the skiing and she'd only tackled blues prior to La Thuile. From memory the only tricky bits for newish skiers were over on the windblasted La Rosiere side. All the skiing on the Italian side was great, although it was absolutely freezing...and this was in April.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'd agree with all the others, most reds seemed pretty tame. IIRC there's one red run that passes a restaurant on the extreme skiers left of the resort that has a really flat section and best avoided if you don't want a poll fest or unstrapping boarders.......
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@cbowls30, it’s a great resort. TR on here somewhere from my visit there last year.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
La Thuile is good for beginners and intermediates.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
what la Thuile like for lift served off piste and more interestung stuff?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mother hucker wrote:
what la Thuile like for lift served off piste and more interestung stuff?

Really good, especially the slope westwards from the Chaz Duraz ridge, towards the St Bernard pass road.
Also, heliski and -boarding on the Ruitor.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
not a hard place to ski, espeically if you pop over La rosire
snow conditions
Hmm. It's ok but I won't be returning unless the deal was spectacular. I went mid March this year and the wind never let up to the extent I finished early some days but that's just one week of course. Very limited blues - an early intermediate would lack variety. If you like resorts like Flaine where you have a large bowl with a variety of converging runs - La Thuile isn't really like that and simply doesn't compare imv. Also the drag lift returning from La Rosiere goes on forever - don't fall off it!

However, it's a "proper" town with great restaurants and cafes e.g. "Chocolat" does a sublime hot chocolate. Also if anyone wants a day off skiing, you can get the bus to Cormayeur and take a ride up the newish rotating Skyway cable car to 3500m and see across to Aguille du Midi on a clear day, fantastic and INCLUDED on your lift pass (also covers Cormayeur pistes).
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy