Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mid January US to GVA - where to ski ?

Poster: A snowHead
Hello community,

Me and a friend jumped on a cheap airfare from the US to Geneva in mid January. We will have 2 weeks to ski and the big question is where ?

I have skied in Val Gardena (mellow but huge), La Thuile/La Rosiere (liked La Thuile a lot although lift system is bit outdated), Courmayeur (too small, liked the town),Val D'Isere (liked the terrain the best but any decent size accommodation is very pricey, hated staying in shoebox studios) and Chamonix area (too spread out and crowded).

Ideal place would be: quiet village, good snow retention, cheaper accommodation, advanced/expert terrain, 3-4 hrs from GVA (We will rent the car at GVA), enough skiing to keep us interested for 2 weeks.

So far I am leaning towards staying in La Thuile and take occasional day trips to other Val D'Aosta ski areas and also check out new La Rosiere expansion (looks very promising).

Monterosa, Cervinia ...?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Why not Avoriaz?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Or indeed anywhere in Portes du Soleil?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Cheapski, Low season, two people, personally I would wait and see where the best snow is, there are any number of choices but the snow does not always lie evenly in the first half of the season.
I would consider Nendaz/4 valleys in switzerland.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Cheapski, for 2 weeks skiing in one area I’d be looking at:
3 Valleys, where apartments in Les Menuires, Reberty, La Tania, Le Praz are usually a more reasonable cost than Courchevel, Meribel.

Sella Ronda again, maybe staying in a different part of the circuit, eg Arabba.

As mentioned by others, Avoriaz, Les Gets, Chatel etc in Portes de Soleil area.

Also Paradiski often has good apartments, eg in Les Arcs 1950. Or plenty on the La Plagne side of the circuit.

As you say, Aosta Valley if you don’t mind driving to different areas.

Mid January is low season, always lots of late booking discounts on accommodation, if you’re reasonably flexible.
snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Alagna!!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
For value for money, Italy tends to win. Cervinia-gives you the option of heading over to the Zermatt side but without the costs (extortionate) of staying there.
Champoluc-a lovely village with access to the Monterosa ski area. The on piste skiing isn’t huge in terms of mileage but it feels like a big area, with plenty of off piste options.

Or, you could try the Trois Vallées. Huge ski area, all lift linked. For mid Jan you’ve hit the jackpot in terms of it being the quiet part of early season. Accommodation wise, look at local agents. My own personal fave (and I confess we are renting a place there this season) St Martin de Belleville. Ticks a number of your boxes:
a. Attractive quiet village with character.
b. Access to vast ski area. Relatively mellow slopes and easy off piste immediately above the village, but it takes no time at all to get to the gnarlier stuff.
c. It should be possibly to find a nice apartment, perhaps in a converted barn or village house in the village or one of the local hamlets. (Just did a quick service arch with the agent we use...2 week’s starting Sat 12th Jan) came up with this...https://www.agencedesalpes.com/annonce/appartement-saint-martin-de-belleville-centre-saint-martin-de-belleville-la-grange-1973. Not too shabby! Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you don't mind driving to the lifts, you could base yourself on a village at the bottom of a valley. You should be able to find good and cheap accomodation via Airb&b.
For example Bozel, La Perriere or Brides-le-Bain would give you easy access to Paradiski and 3 Valleys, so aprox. ~1000 km of pistes (and almost unlimited offpiste).
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cheapski wrote:
advanced/expert terrain

Based on your OP, I take it you mean pisted advanced/expert terrain as Courmayeur has a lifetime of unpisted terrain.

If that's the case, Sella Ronda or Cervinia as others have mentioned.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I think the Dolomites (Sella Ronda) are a tad too far to drive from GVA!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
From the US?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
For something different, you could jump on a train at Geneva airport and head for the Alberg region of Austria via Zurich.
Depending on when your flight lands, you could do it in not a lot more than 4 1/2 hours. Rent a car in Zurich or train straight into St Anton.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Via Lattea is worth considering and you could then hop over to serre chevalier which isn’t far to drive - a bit of France and italy and generally cheaper area with lots of apartment accomadation - via lattea and serre would give you a total of 650km of pistes plus a lot of off piste - plus there are other smaller ski areas within driving distance
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sella Ronda is pretty far from GVA. If you are renting a car, why not one week in 3V or Espace Killy, and one week in northwest Italy?

It does sound like money is an object, given your handle. So you might have to compromise on accommodations a bit, even in January, but if the difference is a week in 3V vs. a week in Portes de Soleil, I'd aim for the shoebox...
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Having driven from the Geneva area to the Dolomites a couple of times I'd say yes, it's too far to drive. And not cheap - Mont Blanc tunnel etc.
ski holidays
@Cheapski,

Mid january you will have no problem with accommodation. You are hiring a car - why not go on a road trip? That's what I would do.

You could spend 3 or 4 days in 3 or 4 places. Would mean that you didn't need a big area, could enjoy some quieter spots and go where the snow was good.
snow report
@Cheapski, May I suggest doing more than one resort: perhaps a week in the Monte Rosa area and a week in Bourg st Maurice. Save money and ditch the hire car. Use the train and busses instead.
ski holidays
I agree the drive from Geneva to the Sella Ronda is long. But EasyJet do return flights from GVA to Venice for about £70 + hold baggage. Plenty of car rentals there and 2.5 hours to mountains.

That said, I think a 2 centre trip is what I’d go for. 3 Valleys being one of them. Maybe La Rosiere/La Thuile as the second base.
snow report
Cheapski,

I'd be inclined to ho to the 3 Valleys for 2 weeks. It's more than big enough to cover several seasons of skiing, never mind 2 weeks.

Why not look at catered chalet accommodation? If you Google catered chalets you will find many independent operators that provide accommodation (with meals & alcohol) without travel. We've twice used The Chalet Company in Meribel and they were excellent. I've no connection with them other than as a guest.

There are also independent chalet operators in La Tania and other areas of the 3 Valleys.

If you prefer self catering you could always book a larger apartment for more space. Each of the 3 Valleys resorts lists accommodation providers on their website, or you could try Hotels.com, Booking.com or Interhome for apartments.
snow conditions
@Bergmeister,
+1 for catered chalet accommodation. Always great last minute deals available in January.
snow report
@Cheapski, sounds like you like big areas with a decent lift system, some steep pistes and sizeable resorts with easy access to the slopes.

Based on those requirements the obvious answers in reach of Geneva are the Three Valleys (Courchevel, Meribel, Val Thirens, Les Menuires) and Paradiski (La Plagne, Les Arcs). There's plenty to do for 2 weeks in either, and staying in once place would save a bit on lift pass costs, and perhaps accommodation too. Some of the resorts in these two ski areas have a reputation for being expensive, but you should be able to find more affordable accommodation in bases such as Les Menuires, La Tania or Plagne 1800, still with quick access to the slopes.

Avoriaz for the Portes du Soleil is another good shout. This may be a (slightly) cheaper choice, though the lift system isn't as fast in some parts of the wider ski area.

Trees are quite important in January in case of stormy days - all of the above have plenty of these. Snow cover should (hopefully) not be a problem by mid January.
snow report
Quote:

Snow cover should (hopefully) not be a problem by mid January.

It maybe 'shouldn't ' be but sometimes it is . The worst conditions I have had on a ski holiday have been mid january in Tignes. Which is why if you are going low season with two people and want the best chance of good conditions it sometimes pays to book late.
Maybe this year in january there will be storms blown up from the med and Italy will have great snow but more northerly/ Western resorts will be left short, or the snow may be form the West and the there will be great snow further west.
There are quite a few resorts where you would be 'unlucky' not to get good snow but if I was crossing the atlantic to go skiing and could avoid being unlucky I would.
snow report
@Cheapski, as others have said, with plans to rent a car and coming mid-January, I'd wait until about a week prior to put an itinerary together. Conditions could vary dramatically from one place to another accessible from GVA. Then, I would put together a 2-3 stop itinerary with the 3rd being a smaller area. The big lift connected areas in Europe get all the attention, especially in the States, but some of the smaller areas are a treat, with generally less expensive accommodation and plenty to ski for a few days. I spent a few days in Val d'Anniviers last January and loved it after previously only skiing the big names on European trips.
snow report
Courchevel 1650.
snow conditions
Quote:
The worst conditions I have had on a ski holiday have been mid january in Tignes
Really? Shocked Most of the rest of the Alps must have been pretty diabolical at that time then...

When was this disaster January by the way Puzzled
ski holidays
@Cheapski, ski in France …………. Italy is pants …………….. so is Austria.

D-Tour only ever went to France.
latest report
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
The worst conditions I have had on a ski holiday have been mid january in Tignes
Really? Shocked Most of the rest of the Alps must have been pretty diabolical at that time then...

When was this disaster January by the way Puzzled

Think it was 1990
snow conditions
Thank you all for great suggestions !

@denfinella you are right about my preference for bigger resorts. In my experience, bigger resorts give me more options in bad weather, better chance of finding good snow stashes (multiple exposures, trees, bowls etc.) and better lift system that provides access to varied terrain.
ourselves
When I said "advanced/expert" terrain I did not necessarily mean "steep". Example: trees above La Fornet (Val D'Isere) are kind of advanced terrain I like to play in. Or the "backside" of La Thuile (terrain between groomers off Fourclaz and Belvedere chairs).

I loved Courmayeur and its off piste possibilities but it might be too much to ski 2 weeks there, most likely will base in Courmayeur/La Thuile and commute to other near by ski areas. Not planning on doing any backcountry or touring that would require services of the guide.

I guess I am lucky but in all my previous trips to the Alps I had the fantastic conditions with multiple days of fresh snowfall overnight with the blue bird days. I guess in 50+ days of skiing in the Alps maybe 2 or 3 were pool/gym/hotel/no ski type of days. And all of the trips were during the January low season. Bit colder yes - but manageable, it is -5C outside as I type this.

Budget is about $100/night for accommodation (per person), $500 lift tickets for 12 days skiing, $100 food (per person) and I reserved car in French sector for $300 (total for 2 weeks, much cheaper than Swiss side of GVA, I know, possibly no winter tires and Swiss vignette but I am not planning driving through Switzerland anyway, too expensive !) and $300 for gas/fuel total. Around $3500 total per person.

Sounds that France is very popular option on this forum. I will explore more about possibly going to Paradiski and Three Valleys.

Avoriaz is out - not a big fan of purpose built resorts full of midrises. I am sure skiing is great but it is the whole experience that counts when crossing the Atlantic - cute towns, great food, good skiing and interacting with friendly people from many different countries.

Again, 45 days before the trip and snow conditions at that time would drive the decision making process but we would just like to be ready and have all our options lined up before we decide at the last minute.

Quick research shows that GVA-St. Anton by train would be about 5 1/2 hrs and $60 or 4 1/2 hrs. by car - if conditions are right, why not ?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
BTW,

everybody here talks about catered chalets - are those always Saturday to Saturday and how does that work?

This is unknown concept in the US, so excuse my ignorance .
latest report
Catered chalets are either Sat to Sat or, a few, Sun to Sun. They’re a very British thing (though the Dutch do em too). They can be high end, mid or bargain. They originated in the early days of us Brits going skiing, where a group of people would rent a chalet together, usually in France (which is still where most chalet holidays can be found) and employ a nice well school young english gal (usually a bit posh) to cook and clean for them.

These days a chalet holiday almost always provides en suite rooms, plus breakfast and dinner 6 (or now just 5-to deal with French employment law) days per week, and tea and cake for when you come in from skiing. High end tend to be smaller concerns, swankier rooms, hot tubs, high end food. Low end- still en-suite, food variable as often prepared by an 18 year old with basic skills. They are good value and very sociable trips for a group of mates. “Chalets” can range from an apartment for 6, where the staff come in, to a tired hotel rented by a uk tour operator. I’d say the average chalet sleeps 10-20. You usually don’t have to fill the place with your party, so it’s pot luck who else is booked in. In my experience this usually adds to the fun and social side. Big tour operators will do the full package which includes flights and transfers from Uk, though you can sometimes book accommodation only. Smaller ops tend to expect you to get to the resort yourself.
If there are just 2 of you, it would be very easy to find mid Jan bargains. Take a look at chaletsdirect.com, Igluski.com, plus resort websites will have links to the local smaller chalet companies. Following on from my suggestion of the 3v and St Martin..here’s a link https://en.st-martin-belleville.com/winter/book/chalets
snow report
Cheapski,

Just looking at your lift ticket budget... 12 days in the 3 Valleys will cost you more than $500. Probably nearer $800.

However, if you go down the catered chalet route you could easily get within your $200 per day accommodation & food budget - particularly if you book last minute. That should be no problem for two of you.
We've always enjoyed substantial breakfasts, afternoon teas and evening meals in chalets, meaning a lunchtime sandwich or picnic, and a coffee, on the slopes is enough - saving you a few $ there... wink

And if your preference is for a town with character, in the 3Vs I would stick with Meribel or St Martin. They don't offer the ski in/ski out of other places but are more traditional than Val Thorens or Mottaret, for example.

Remember to let us know how you get on.
snow conditions
@Cheapski, another website that gives an idea of chalets and chalethotels is Alpine Answers.

It has useful filters and I think gives honest descriptions about each property, location, etc, without the hype.

If you don’t mind mixing with other guests at meal times, chalets are great value for 2 people, especially in low season.

Fair to say chalet approach is mainly in France, though Austria and Switzerland have some. Fewer in Italy, though some of the bigger operators like Inghams, Crystal, maybe Neilson, offer some.

A late booking week in January for less than £400GBP per person (room and food) is quite common.
snow report
I meant to add, in low season, chalet operators with spaces will often be flexible with a few days accommodation, rather than just a full week, Sat to Sat.

Direct contact by phone or messaging needed for that, as their websites won’t usually offer it.
snowHead
snow conditions
@Cheapski,
I wouldn't write Switzerland off altogether.
Whereas I would certainly agree that on average it is pricier than neighbouring countries, if you don't go to the fashionable resorts the prices are often cheaper than the high end French resorts and the standards of accommodation usually higher.
You do have to be a bit careful where you eat out in the evening though.
snow conditions
Cheapski wrote:
Sounds that France is very popular option on this forum. I will explore more about possibly going to Paradiski and Three Valleys.

Avoriaz is out - not a big fan of purpose built resorts full of midrises. I am sure skiing is great but it is the whole experience that counts when crossing the Atlantic - cute towns, great food, good skiing and interacting with friendly people from many different countries.

Slight problem here. The majority of French ski towns/stations are "purpose built", not particularly cute and don't have people from many different countries. I find them pleasant enough though and it's all about the skiing. The "rabbit hutch" is for showering, eating and sleeping. But importantly is 'on the slopes.

For the best tree skiing and lift served of piste for a two week trip I'd recommend going to Paradiski and staying within striking distance of the Vanoise Express - so Les Coches, Monthavin, Vallandry. Montchavin is actually quite cute and has a village feel.

If you got bored it's easily driveable to 3V, Tignes, Ste Foy.
snow report
Cheapski wrote:

That writes off a pretty large section of the Alps then. Certainly avoid Val Thorens in the 3v and La Plagne/Belle Plagne (as above, Les Coches/Montchavin is more suited) as they have plenty of mid-rises. Virtually all the large resorts are purpose built as well.
ski holidays
Cheapski wrote:

I'd probably sat PdS but stay down in Morzine or maybe one of the other villages like Chatel (though only skied through them so would take recommendations from others) rather than up in Avoriaz. Morzine accomodation is cheaper for more space vs. Avoriaz, with a good-sized village/small town with plenty of restaurants and bars covering most tastes, and in addition to the resort sized/priced supermarkets there's a large, non-resort priced one the locals use about 5-10min out of town.

Mid Jan you should be fine jumping on the Super-Morzine gondola from the centre of town and skiing over to Avoriaz. Even if it's freakishly warm there will still be snow up in Avoriaz so you just need to catch the free bus/drive 10-15min and take the gondola up from either Ardent or Prodains.
snow conditions
100 bucks a day on food?
snow report
Is that a lot or not enough ?

One beer on the mountain could cost you $15 in some of the US resorts
ski holidays
In your position I would definitely aim to ski the 3 valleys. Basically the biggest best ski circus in Europe. La Thuille and Rosiere combined have 38 lifts 18 of which are drag lifts. The 3 V has 180 lifts with very few drags except on the glacier.

Stay in Orelle which is down the 4th valley which leads to Val Thorens. Orelle is a proper old fashioned mountain village. It will be substantially cheaper than most of the accommodation on the mountain and often a bit roomier. A mountain studio can be 18 m 2 This one in Orelle is 25 m 2.

https://www.residenceorelle3vallees.com/apartments/studio-apartment/
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy