Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Family Ski Season

Poster: A snowHead
Hello, I was wondering if anyone had done a ski season with youngish children? I am wondering if we should follow a dream and head to the Alps from January to April 2020 with 6 year old twins and if anyone had done this and where? Is it possible to put them in a local (French) school for 3 months, or best to home school (aggghhh) or private. I realise some mountain towns have primary schools but just looking for advice or if anyone else has done this. We expect to either work remotely for our UK companies or take a sabbatical. Of course schooling is only the first (but biggest) question as would have to arrange accommodation too!
TIA Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Friends of mine did similar but they home schooled for the duration they were there.

They had 3 children oldest at the time was 10/11.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Steve (having a young family) may be able to help:-
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=82612&start=5440
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I had a friend who did it but was for longer 6 months/a year. Kids went into the local village school. I think you'd be best to work out what town/village you want and then determine if you can get the kids into the school first.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You’d probably get into school but might not be super fun/ easy for you and the children. Home school and get a tutor?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
What could school teach them that could not be learned on the slopes/ in the mountains? Toofy Grin
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
French
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@pam w, Laughing
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@pam w, predictable, but wrong. Immersion ski school. Peers etc etc
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Peers will mostly be in school. And if my experience with that age group is anything to go by, it won't be easy to find them, or to persuade them to play with kids they can't communicate with, without the structure of school. I never heard of an "immersion ski school?" Sounds intriguing but expensive.....
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I realise it won't be easy for all, but am considering if it is worth all the effort, to have 3 months in the mountains and the children will have the opportunity to learn French and have some mountain fun. Therefore I am not stuck on a location yet as would like to hear about other peoples experiences or recommendations, as I realise some places may work better.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Not worth the effort for such a short period.

Rent a private tutor.

PS. You might wanna change your username. Not really wise to put (what looks like) your full name and semi-private email address on a public forum.

Good luck with the season.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yes, still waiting for admin to do it Mad
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Actually, I think 6 year old kids would learn a useful amount of French if they were in school. You might need to look carefully at their getting places back here, if their school is over-subscribed.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Entirely worth the effort and surprisingly easy. We did this when my son was 10 (he is 21 now!) - he went to the local secondary school in Passy for 3 months. If I had my time over, I would do it again in a heartbeat. Not a single regret. The family who went out at the same time had a six year old (who went to the local primary). He's racing full time now.
ski holidays
Quote:

We did this when my son was 10 (he is 21 now!)

Shocked Was it really that long ago, @Annie?
snow report
@pam w, indeed!
ski holidays
We had an enjoyable day skiing in Les Contamines with @Annie - their St Gervais adventure was a great example of the virtues of just getting out there and doing it!
latest report
Annie, where did you go and how did you choose a town/village? I have been to many of the larger French resorts but only for a week and didn't look if there were local primary schools and it isn't as easy as here to find where schools are!
Obviously, there is a lot to consider especially if their UK school space can be held open - that may be a deciding factor.... but I want to be sure that is what we are doing before I ask!
snow report
Our kids learned French in less than 3 months when we moved here. You would do better, I think to start in September, if you are committed to a French public school. Otherwise just hire an English speaker as a tutor. Can you borrow the books and course outline? That would be a big help.
ski holidays
We did similar, but in Canada for 18 months.

Be careful.

We are now emigrating Wink
ski holidays
@motdoc, Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
@pam w, I know. Seems like both yesterday and a lifetime ago at the same time. We did indeed have a lovely day!

@alisonclayfield@hotmail.c, We stayed in St Gervais, having ended up there the previous half term by accident and finding it ticked all the boxes of nice town, easy drive to and from GVA and into the valley, skiing we liked and the option of Chamonix down the road and just a feeling of being 'at home'. We were very lucky with a great apartment, cracking snow and brilliant weather pretty much all season. Both the schools were fab and went way beyond the call in making the children welcome and supporting language acquisition ....and giving them an extra day to ski. They children also tagged along on the twice weekly ski sessions organised by the local youth club equivalent. One can never say never, but I think you're unlikely to regret it if you decide to do it.....I would!!
latest report
@alisonclayfield@hotmail.c, friends with a family that went to live with two children near Samöens, kids started french school as English speaking and it seems a very good location for a family in this situation.

Convenient for travel etc, village school, ski area of Grand Massif plus PDS, via Les Gets/Morzine.

Pm me if you wanted more specific information as I could put you in touch if they are ok to advise.
ski holidays
@ski3, lots of international families with weekend places in Samöens. Have friends who were stationed in Geneva but spent their weekends in Samöens, winter and summer.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy