Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Samoens if theres poor snow

Poster: A snowHead
Question for regulars in Grand Massif please
If theres poor snow in Samoens, how easy is it to get over to Flaine?
Do the lifts still operate to Tete des Saix?
Do they keep one run open to get back from Tete des Saix to Samoens?
If the lifts are closed, do the buses run from Samoens to Carroz or Flaine or somewhere in between?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Don't know if buses link as I've never been there with it closed,

But closest you can get easily is going via piste to bottom of Molliets lift from Morrillon / Les Carroz sector as it's snow cannoned down from ridge all the way, plus coming back from Molliets lift to Morillon.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
When are you going?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Usually Very easy - you aren't skiing until you get out of the Grand Massif Express lift at Saomens 1600 and everything is cannoned from their courtesy of the new massive Club Med up there. Your real risk is the link lifts between Flaine and the rest closing due to high wind around the Tetes de Saix/Grands Vans lifts in which case you can work your way back to Les Carroz and around the lower slopes to Morrillon and get a bus from there or, if open, ski Cascades from Flaine all the way to Sixt and get the bus back from there. If there is wind risk there will be lots and lots of signs up as well as possible preventative closures to stop skiers getting into the wrong bits and then getting stuck.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Rodriguez, Puzzled There's very rarely any snow in Samoens.

Access is generally up the Grand Massif Express to the Plateau des Saix, at just below 1,600m. If there's no snow there, 1. you're in trouble and 2. you're bussing around to Flaine, maybe.

You can't really ski back to Samoens, and skiing back to e.g. Vercland is sometimes marginal.

I'm not sure you have your geography right...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
From Samoens, after you go up the Grand Massif Express you arrive at Samoens plateau at 1600m, there are snow cannons on this plateau and on the south-facing 500m ski down to the Chariande Express chair which takes you up to Tete des Saix st 2120m. Note that the slopes back to Samoens 1600 area from TDS are North-facing and bottom 2/3 rds of some runs are covered by snow-cannons. If there is no skiing from TDS towards Samoens, there is a slower chair that goes up part-way towards TDS and drops you at the start of a cannoned run. The blue run from TDS towards Flaine is South-facing and has cannons on the bottom 1/3rd to the start of the Vernant Chair around 1800m, then up to 2200m for a cannoned blue run all the way down to Flaine 1600m. There is a normal skibus service linking Sixt/Samoens/Morillon. Buses from Flaine and Les Carroz to Samoens/Morillon will only be provided if the ski-links were open earlier in the day and the link-lifts close due to bad weather or breakdown and so would only be for "stranded skiers/boarders" otherwise it could be an expensive taxi back.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
and, @skier52, if there's no snow at 1,600m, there are bigger problems to worry about.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
OK thank you everyone for your help
I have skied the route many times but later in the season when there is snow
I thought there was a problem after looking at the webcams, seeing no snow and with only 2 weeks before I travel but the Club Med / snow cannons investment is good
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
France has had a bad start to the 2018 / 2019 season.

Very little snow at low altitude so far.

To book in advance such a low resort as Samoens in December is crazy.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@under a new name, correct.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
As mentioned above, pre-Christmas skiing in Samoens/Morillon/les Carroz is optimistic. Flaine and Avoriaz are 30-40 minute drive away if you're unlucky.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Rodriguez, just to note, @Whitegold, is a troll.

And there is a heavy snowfall forecast over th weekend...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

@Whitegold, is a troll.

He's not a troll; just a bit terse and sometimes extreme in his expression. And yes, Samoens is down in the valley. Proper traditional village - and they weren't built at the top of mountains! Nobody staying in Samoens should expect resort level snow, at any time in the winter. But I think the OP knows that!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Rodriguez, if the forecast delivers I think you will be OK.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It's often the wind that closes the TdS, so just keep an eye on that. If it so bad that they lay on buses - as they did at Christmas the other year, you need to book a place the bus for Flaine. They are pisting at the top of the TdS already - https://hiver.lescarroz.com/webcams-les-carroz.html - just keep your fingers crossed that the temperature drop and snow predicted arrives. We're heading over on the 16th, so will drop a note to let you know what it is all looking like.
latest report
@pam w, for a non-troll he's got a very funny way of expressing his trollish non-trolling.

Definitely a glass half empty kind of guy.

And I don't think he's actually on the spot.
snow conditions
Quote:

Agreed, on both counts. Laughing
snow conditions
Quote:

Agreed, on both counts. Laughing

But some people spend a lot words being unhelpful.....
ski holidays
@pam w, I don’t try to be unhelpful.

Sometimes it just comes out that way.
snow conditions
I wasn't thinking of you.... Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy