Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all. Just budgeting for my ski trip to chamonix. Can someone please tell me how much I should expect to pay for a burger and chips or a pizza on the mountain. Oh, and soft drinks too please
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Burger and chips, no change from 12 euro. Soft drinks probably 3 to 4 euro.

Eat a big breakfast, then carry a baguette and ham/cheese and a plastic knife from SuperU instead. Little Angel
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@dave_3, what @Klammertime, said. The Grands Montets, Flégère and Brevant, are universally disgusting. The price is unreasonable, but that wouldn't matter if you could eat the stuff. Some on here may disagree, but it all reminds me of Leicester Forrest services up a mountain. I think the contract to provide this "food" may have changed hands. Not holding my breath for an improvement.

Les Houches has a number of excellent privately owned restaurants where you can buy hearty and affordable food. Same for Le Tour with 2 independents (I like the one at the bottom of the Posettes lift). You can tell you are at the right ones if you have to book. And there are a couple of cracking cafés at the bottom of the Vallorcene lift
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@HammondR, I'd say disgusting was a little unfair. Some of it is edible.

And Heineken is Heineken.

The contract was up for renewal over the summer, but my expectation is that any changes will only happen for season 19-20. It was apparently due to feedback though, so that's perhaps something.

As said, Taniere (Les Houches) is lovely. Ecuries de Charamillon and Refuge de Balme (La Tour) are also good. Nothing up Flegere although the lunchtime DJ bar is amusing if you don't want to ski in the afternoon. Nor much up Brevent, the one at the very top of the top lift is OK (Le Panoramique?). The "Cab" at the bottom of the Brev bubble is nice if tiny.

Argentiere - folks talk about the Refuge de Lognan but I have never been impressed. Cremaillere des Glaciers surprisingly amusing - it's all croutes, but it all of the croutes you might ever expect to see!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I remember paying 9 euros for some frites a few years ago at the bottom of the brevent gondola, big portion but still.....
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Scongie, I think (every day is a school day) the only place at the bottom of the gondola is the Cab' - it's pretty reasonable (and has been under the same ownership for ? 4 years? 5? maybe?) and I don't think they sell frites.

Mind you, I am usually only in for some Pelforth, having picnicked up the hill on fresh bread and a fine filling (I prefer smoked trout to salmon) ((I also rather like home made coronation chicken with extra chilli)).

Technique Extreme sell nice big aluminium bottles, easily enough for a nice bottle of Chablis, or whatever.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@underanewname I think you might be right, on consulting the map it was more likely to have been the restaurant just above the gondola station on retour plan praz.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mind you, I am usually only in for some Pelforth, @under a new name,

Yay, just coming to the end of my stash of Pelforth Brune which I brought back with me last March.

A fine beer Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Scongie, ah, that makes more sense. either the not sensibly priced company stand up where I don't think frites are even e9 there or altitude 2000 where my bro in law (who has run countless bars and owns one (used to own 3)) walked out after being asked for EU20 for a pint of cooking lager...
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Look its chamonix... It isn't cheap and to be honest the quality it a bit crap but it's chamonix haha

Even the coffee when I was in brevent was crap... 4 euro for an espresso and it was disgusting!!

Food in the village is much better and much (well not hugely) cheaper...

Do as we do (and appears to be most guides / locals do) get up early, head to the bakery and buy a nice pain au swisse and a filled baguette for about 5 euro and take a bottle of juice with you.

Then spend what you have saved on a extra couple of beers in chambre neuff at happy hour... Or half a beer in moo haha
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy