Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Loose/wobbly bindings

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm using an old pair of atomics for dryslope (based in the UK) slalom racing. They have the centro 310 bindings. Both the front and back parts of both bindings have a fair amount of 'wobble', but when a boot it put in, these parts are much more stable. However, my boot can rotate very slightly (as though I was starting a carve) without the ski moving - essentially (I guess), the whole binding is slightly 'wobbly'.

Thoughts? Of course this will take away from performance to some extent, but do you think that it's still relatively safe to ski? I don't think the bindings would release too easily after studying them, I think it's just that first degree or so of rotation during turn initiation that will not be transferred to the skis.

I've been training/even a few races on these skis and hadn't noticed this before, aside from the skis generally being (only slightly to be fair to them) beat up. I only noticed today as I got new boots, so was adjusting the bindings slightly. Also broke my screwdriver sad reacts only Sad...

Thanks!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Don't chance it would be my comment when racing especially.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
T_Hee wrote:
Don't chance it would be my comment when racing especially.

Hm. You're probably right, but I'm also a student who can't afford a new pair of skis. Personal safety < money.....

Have you had experience with/seen bindings with this problem before?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Are the screws tight? As in the ones that fix the binding to the ski.

Ask anyone on here that’s blown a knee what they think of the personal safety/money thing. At the very least you want to be getting them checked.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
A. They're a rather old binding - 1998-2005 (?) - and look to be mostly plastic - so this could be normal but unwanted wear

B. They're a rather light binding running DIN 3-10 - not what you'd normally see racing

C. The US and CAN recalled them https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2008/atomic-skis-usa-recalls-ski-bindings-due-to-unexpected-release-fall-hazard

None of which would give me any confidence.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
under a new name wrote:
A. They're a rather old binding - 1998-2005 (?) - and look to be mostly plastic - so this could be normal but unwanted wear

B. They're a rather light binding running DIN 3-10 - not what you'd normally see racing

C. The US and CAN recalled them https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2008/atomic-skis-usa-recalls-ski-bindings-due-to-unexpected-release-fall-hazard

None of which would give me any confidence.

Possibly a mixture of all 3. Certainly A, the skis and bindings are also far from ideal for racing (B), but I don’t want to use my snow skis on plastic - runs/courses are much shower and less intense than snow SL raves, just for reference. I saw this (C) but my skis are 2006, so the bindings should be unaffected - I’ll check their date ASAP.

Thanks guys Smile
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@jjebarron, I used to race plastic, many, many years ago, usually on shoite kit!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hahaha yep exactly, u can get away w rubbish skis tbf. They’re still pretty stiff and 10m radius so not bad tbf lol - just need to make sure I’m not Gna break my other thumb cus of these bindings Wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have a pair of these (12din version) on atomic skis. There is a slight movement on one heel piece which I traced to a very slight deformation of the rail on which the binding runs so that the moveable part can move up and down very slightly on the rail. They are a demo/hire binding and very easy to adjust, the downside is the slight shoogle. I have proved to my own satisfaction that the movement is only due to this slight play between rail and heel piece, there is no difference in feel when skiing between the one with the movement and the one without. It hasn't changed in 5 years and has never thrown me into the scenery. I checked the recall and it was a plastic part in the pivot which could break, later bindings were different so that shouldn't be a worry.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@jjebarron, said:

Quote:

just need to make sure I’m not Gna break my other thumb cus of these bindings Wink

asking a question of what the snowheads collective thinks about this is IMO pointless.

Skiers injuring thumbs on plastic is legendary and par for the course in ski racing even on the newest equipment.

If your principle concern is protecting your thumb, I'd suggest getting the best gloves for injury protection. Confused Confused
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
T_Hee wrote:
@jjebarron, said:

Quote:

just need to make sure I’m not Gna break my other thumb cus of these bindings Wink

asking a question of what the snowheads collective thinks about this is IMO pointless.

Skiers injuring thumbs on plastic is legendary and par for the course in ski racing even on the newest equipment.

If your principle concern is protecting your thumb, I'd suggest getting the best gloves for injury protection. Confused Confused

It is a classic injury yeh - and I do have proper gloves. I was just jokin around, that wasn’t what I was worried about! Smile
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Col the Yeti wrote:
I have a pair of these (12din version) on atomic skis. There is a slight movement on one heel piece which I traced to a very slight deformation of the rail on which the binding runs so that the moveable part can move up and down very slightly on the rail. They are a demo/hire binding and very easy to adjust, the downside is the slight shoogle. I have proved to my own satisfaction that the movement is only due to this slight play between rail and heel piece, there is no difference in feel when skiing between the one with the movement and the one without. It hasn't changed in 5 years and has never thrown me into the scenery. I checked the recall and it was a plastic part in the pivot which could break, later bindings were different so that shouldn't be a worry.

Good to know, thanks. My coach had a good look at them and reckons that they’re at least safe: just old so some performance is lost (being rental bindings...). Just been training and they were fine.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy