Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving to the Alps with a baby - things to do?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi fellow SHers! I am sure the question on what to do en route has been asked many times, but I wouldn't mind asking again, but this time for tips travelling with an infant. We are heading to the PdS for the season and as such, I don't mind taking a bit of time on the journey, as long as it is worth it. The journey will be slower than usual: we will have to stop for feeds; and as my wife will be trying to nap/feed The Spawn, I will be doing the driving. We have a rather more comfortable vehicle than the Defender I did it in last time, but I still wouldn't mind relaxing a bit, even turning the trip into a mini road trip.

Normally I break the journey in Troyes, staying at a dirt cheap F1 hotel, before heading to resort in the morning. This time though, I wonder if any of you know of somewhere a bit nicer to stop, where we could have a good dinner whilst the baby (hopefully) sleeps. What I'd really like is some sort of small boutique style place, where I can install baby monitor in the room and head down to a good restaurant for a dinner where Lady F and I can celebrate the start of our season/parental break. My French is fine, so I don't need anything particularly English-orientated.

Has anyone done something like this, or are we all in a breakneck rush to get to the mountains. I'd even do two nights on the way in, seeing as there is unlikely to be a great deal of snow at the beginning of December, and we have 3.5 months in resort after that...and to that end, are there any particularly scenic routes to take, off the Autoroute?

All and any suggestions welcome. First time travelling with the baby, so this will be a very different season in every way!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
And apologies for thread title typo! Any chance of rectifying it please mods? Meant to say "the", rather than "teg"...
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Which bit of PdS ? You could go through the Jura between Dole and Geneva if you are going to the Morzine/Avoriaz/Les Gets end.

Can't help with hotels, I just use the chains.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Harry Flashman, Can't help with hotels but one piece of baby advice - do not feed it on journey up or down the hill! The change in air pressure causes an air lock in the feed process and results in projectile vomit! - In our friends case from baby seat in centre of rear seats into the dashboard and all in between.. luckily it was a lease car and due back. Toofy Grin

Also baby sun goggles are essential - the sun bouncing off the snow is really blinding for such young eyes.

Other random stuff, you can get plug in baby warmer that runs off cig lighter or buy a travel kettle with cig lighter lead for hot/warm water on the go. Or a proper Thermos vacuum flask that keeps hot water hot! Take extra baby wipes for all manor of spillages in car.
Some motorway services have microwaves for you to use, can be useful if baby is on to solids or even re heating your pre prepared bottle feeds...

If you can get the feeding / awake timing right they sleep for most of the journey Very Happy

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 19-11-18 20:46; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Harry Flashman, As you started the thread you can edit the title.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hotels I can help with. Have a look at the Logis de France website. Loads of family owned and operated hotels, many with restaurants, some close to the autoroutes.
I can recommend Auberge de Moissons, Matougues, just outside Chalons-en-Champagne, but there are loads of others on the website.

https://www.logishotels.com/en/
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

you can get plug in baby warmer that runs off cig lighter or buy a travel kettle with cig lighter lead for hot/warm water on the go. Or a proper Thermos vacuum flask that keeps hot water hot!

or, for a bottle fed baby, get it used to cold milk - it works fine and there's much less worry about bacteria!

But breast fed babies are the easiest to travel with.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
This thread is a little old, but the information is updated quite often. It was started by someone travelling with a baby. http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=28639
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
cad99uk wrote:
@Harry Flashman, As you started the thread you can edit the title.

Smile - didn't know how to!

Tha is for all the tips folks. That one on feeding up the hill - useful!! Shocked
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
For more comfort, quieter rooms, and better meals with a baby we've use Campanile hotels rather than the super cheap type (e.g. Premiere Classe or F1). Not too much more expensive.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Can't help on the hotels as we tend to use Novotels, and did / do not leave them in the room, even with the dog. Travelling when they were little was FAB, as they slept so much, ah those were the days. Agree on the wet wipes and loads of muslins. Depending on the age, have some boiled water as well. Agree wholeheartedly about the goggles, those puppies need to be nailed to their head as the snow/sun combination is really bad for little eyes. If you just have one, then I think you can avoid the hassle of having to push a buggy about in the snow. We had to sometimes, as with twins you can't swap to relieve your arms /chest. But we kept an old inline one with big wheels in the cave and did not care that it got dinged up. Assume that you are OK regarding clothing etc? Plenty of layers that tuck in and if they are little I found an all-in-one a better option than separates. Once crawling I added waterproof trousers over the top of the all-in-one, so they could play in the snow and not get wet bums/knees. I also carried extra dry gloves, as then we did not have to go home straight after playing but could hang about and look at things. Good luck. Have a lovely season, what a great thing to do.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks guys - Mini Flash will be 5 months old whilst we leave, so probably learning to crawl whilst out there - good tip on the waterproof trousers and spare gloves.

We're really happy abut this. My industry is in freefall anyway, so I took the offered redundancy and decided on a career break. I'll worry about what to do next when we get back, frankly. Our thinking was that we will never get this time with the baby back again, and spending the ski season sitting in London, doing job applications was a waste of Lady F's maternity leave and our potential time together as a family. Renting the house out and leaving instead!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Harry Flashman, I hope you enjoy every second of your time and you are deffo doing the right thing letting the stresses of the rat race go for a while. We are a long time dead and I don't know any people who are near the end of their life saying "I really wish I had spent more time working and less with my family and children."

As an aside I will be driving down to Austria with my wife, 10 month old, 12 year old and 9 year old. Whatever happens it will be an adventure. One year driving back from Meribel my 12 year old (who was 1 at the time) picked up noro. We all did. but the 1 year old was sharting through his nappies. It was liquid poo. Disgusting. We got rid of that particular car after that journey.

What line of work are you in?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@rumdiary, sorry but that made me laugh out loud. Agree with the comment as well about it being a great thing to do. Kids are so flexible when young and it is the best time to do this kind of thing.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Definitely recommend https://www.le-val-moret.com/en/ for a decent room and very decent "correct" french meal. Ok-ish wifi gets v busy on a Friday/Saturday night though. Nice indoor swimming pool if the child is up for that and you get there early-ish.

If you look at French still mineral water bottles , there is a logo that indicates that they can be used to mix up formula milk.

I would hook up on the Morzine/PDS baby/nanny Facebook pages as well. Fortunately I have erased all other useful memories!
latest report
What a great way to celebrate redundancy and Lady F's maternity leave. Have a wonderful time - I am sure you will.
snow report
Hotel B&B are a great chain of budget hotels. Easy to book, automated check in, normally located by the main road with a retail park next door for food.

The one in Besancon is good too.
ski holidays
if the baby is bottle fed, get an in car warmer or a thermos so the water remains hot, last thing you want is baby becoming unwell as the bacteria in the formula hasnt been killed off properly. Or if money allows, stock up on the ready made formula to use on the journey there/back.

Feeds will take a bit longer as you need to give a decent amount of time for burping and making sure their little tummy is settled before putting them back in the car seat. I found out the hard way as we did a quick burping session and then straight back in the car seat..... oh the mess from project vomit.

Baby carrier instead of a buggy worked well around the resort, just make sure their extremities are kept super toasty warm.

Lots of muslins and cheap flannels that you can always make wet with some warm water are fab for any little messes you need to clean up. Get a messy bag to throw it all in as well.

Ive done a fair bit of travelling to very cold destinations with my son from when he was newborn so any other questions.. just ask Little Angel
latest report
Quote:

Or if money allows, stock up on the ready made formula to use on the journey there/back.

or make up formula with approved bottled water, as suggested above. No need to warm it. Small babies shouldn't sit for long hours in car seats - it's bad for their backs.
snow report
@pam w, agreed.

Water should still be boiled, as often even bottled water is not sterile.
snow report
boredsurfin wrote:
@Harry Flashman, Can't help with hotels but one piece of baby advice - do not feed it on journey up or down the hill! The change in air pressure causes an air lock in the feed process and results in projectile vomit! - In our friends case from baby seat in centre of rear seats into the dashboard and all in between.. luckily it was a lease car and due back. Toofy Grin

Also baby sun goggles are essential - the sun bouncing off the snow is really blinding for such young eyes.

Other random stuff, you can get plug in baby warmer that runs off cig lighter or buy a travel kettle with cig lighter lead for hot/warm water on the go. Or a proper Thermos vacuum flask that keeps hot water hot! Take extra baby wipes for all manor of spillages in car.
Some motorway services have microwaves for you to use, can be useful if baby is on to solids or even re heating your pre prepared bottle feeds...

If you can get the feeding / awake timing right they sleep for most of the journey Very Happy

Have you become a grandfather while I wasn't looking? Shocked Laughing
latest report
Only problem with Val Moret is you are too far away from the rooms in the restaurant to safely leave a baby as they are arranged motel style away from the main building.
ski holidays
Hells Bells wrote:
Only problem with Val Moret is you are too far away from the rooms in the restaurant to safely leave a baby as they are arranged motel style away from the main building.

Baby is 5 months old. Just shove the baby carrier seat under the dinner table and get on with it. It’s one night - have him with you and save your babysitter/ child free nights for a decent go at the taster menu at Chamade
snow report
Incidentally my son has also spent a fair amount of time under tables and now above them in the Chamade and other places - they’re happy with babies everywhere.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy