Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Can these skis be repaired?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm building my collection of skis for the new season, and I spotted this on ebay and was wondering if it might be suitable for my wife.

I think the brand/model and length of the ski would be fine for her. But there is some damage on one of the skis which appear to affect both the metal edge and top face.

Here is a picture from the ebay listing showing the damage in more detail. Would be interested in anyone who knows whether this could be repaired or if so, how ugly would the fix look?

In case anyone is interested - here is the full ebay listing.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KASTLE-MX74-Skis-with-Kastle-K72-CTI-Bindings-156cm-Long/113386661417?hash=item1a665f2629:g:7i4AAOSwgPBb9D
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@eddiesteadygo, depends how much you like sleeping in the spare room, I suppose?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Scarlet wrote:
@eddiesteadygo, depends how much you like sleeping in the spare room, I suppose?

Don't worry about that lol.

I've already bought her a pair of new DPS skis and a new pair of FX95s in addition to a pair of lightly used carbon fibre Kastle skis on ebay.

I just noticed these and thought they would be cheap - and they could be nice as a spare pair with a more narrow underfoot set of dimensions.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@eddiesteadygo, odd damage. If moisture gets in and blows them? Internal structural damage - might be a short lived present.

I’m guessing selective pix and paint scrapes on binding mean they’re actually bent....

Avoid avoid
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I can't get a really good resolution to look at it, but it appears to have had a piece of edge inserted the length of that patch.

There seems to be a join at both ends in the metal edge?

Like that it doesn't look like they'll be going mutch further.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
You could be lucky but I hit a rock with my Kästle TX87's and there didn't appear to be much damage (less than in your pic above) but the edge had been bent in and couldn't be repaired or serviced. They never skied the same again.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@ski3, that's the top of the ski though Puzzled
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@SnoodlesMcFlude, that’s my point ...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

@ski3, that's the top of the ski though

I can see it's the topsheet, and the edge is not normally visible but it just looks like there is some joined structure changes along the edge that "looks" like the steel edge is exposed.

As stated, I'm not sure of it as the resolution I've got is not showing anything conclusive. It doesn't look good though.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Might be worth asking the seller to put close up pics (side view of edge and underside of ski) at the point where the top sheet is damaged. You could also ask if a section of the ski edge has been replaced.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DB wrote:
Might be worth asking the seller to put close up pics (side view of edge and underside of ski) at the point where the top sheet is damaged. You could also ask if a section of the ski edge has been replaced.

Good points. Just sent the seller a message asking these very questions. Will report back what he says.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Nah! But the binding may be good.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
That's not the edge you're seeing on the topsheet image, it's the titanal layer. Kastle topsheets often shatter/crack/chip under impact. If you see any rental skis without tip protectors, they are always badly chipped.

As others have said, get a close up photo of the base and if that's OK I wouldn't worry about the topsheet. It's fibreglass so if you want you can epoxy it but I wouldn't bother.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It looks like someone has really enjoyed those skis! When you look at the other photos the edges look pretty munched. Could have been useful as spare skis for rocks etc but they're clearly frontside skis. Most important question, what does your wife think of them?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Also a lot of bashing for a din setting of 4. Could they be ex-rentals?
snow report
Received a reply from the seller...

This was my message:

"Hi, I am interested in your skis but I am a bit worried about the damage.

Would it be possible to put a close up pic of the side view of the edge and underside of ski at the point where the top sheet is damaged please? Could you also confirm if a section of the ski edge has been replaced please?"

Seller's reply was as follows:

"The photo shows the scuff to the top of the ski. I think it. Would be best if you did not bid on the skis as photos will not show the detail you require and I’d be concerned you may be dissatisfied with them when you saw them."

Oh well - won't be taking this any further.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy