Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach's piste planning process

Poster: A snowHead
It's that time of year again, and as usual Saalbach is trying to spice up the area by moving pistes around, laying down new routes, and getting everything set out before the snow arrives.

It's incredible that they're allowed to drop 1.1 million litres of white emulsion from helicopters to mark out the new runs, but that's the quickest and easiest way to get the job done, and since 2004 they've been using an environmentally-friendly paint derived from casein (protein from all of the leftover milk) mixed with the local water which biodegrades within a few weeks when the snows melt and light gets at it, and provides an excellent fertiliser for the spring pastures. The coverage can be a bit sporadic, especially when the helicopter speeds up or the paint is running low, as in the bottom left and mid-right of this picture where the lines becomes dotted - although I suspect this was intentional, and shows where they are planning new unpisted ski routes right into the heart of the villages.

The next week or so will see the piste markers being put in, and then all we need is mother nature to come and dump a smooth covering over it all and we can get skiing!

For those wondering, the paint also reflects the sun, keeping the ground cooler underneath it so that any fresh snow is not melted by the residual heat in the soil, and giving the piste a couple of days head start.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I imagine they would use Gloss -- the shinier surface would aid the sliding of skis (or perhaps EggShell...?)
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@ousekjarr, nice post! Really interesting - I had no idea they did this in Saalbach.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I am both amazed and appalled... NehNeh
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
At this time of year, it is easy to get hooked on watching the webcams as the weather starts to bite, and the lines become wider NehNeh
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Fascinating. Almost... unbelievably so Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I see your Saalbach and raise you my Selva … Smile

latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@albob, do they do a similar technique to mark the runs?

Fascinating stuff
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
In Selva, they cut down the trees where they want the pistes to be, and then smooth out the soil and plant a hardy species of low-friction grass. When temperatures get low enough, the friction co-efficient drops to the point where snow and ice from above will flow down the mountain side in a sort of slow-motion avalanche and fill in the pistes. As it gets lower, the rising temperatures limit how far it can get.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
NickyJ wrote:
@albob, do they do a similar technique to mark the runs?

Fascinating stuff

Maybe..... I shall ask when I am there in January.. Smile
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ousekjarr wrote:
In Selva, they cut down the trees where they want the pistes to be, and then smooth out the soil and plant a hardy species of low-friction grass. When temperatures get low enough, the friction co-efficient drops to the point where snow and ice from above will flow down the mountain side in a sort of slow-motion avalanche and fill in the pistes. As it gets lower, the rising temperatures limit how far it can get.

Wow! This thread just gets better and better!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ousekjarr wrote:

There is obviously a lot more that goes into the setting up of runs that I realised. Thanks.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Snigger... Toofy Grin
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just wait until you see where the "water" for all the snowmaking comes from. They obviously take all the cattle into barns for winter but have drainage from large wee wee troughs in the floor set up to be pumped directly into the cannon network. Mixed 5.67:1 with air the urea smell is eliminated and a small amount of the cassein protein eliminates the yellow colour. I believe they are patenting it as "Envirosnow".
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
remember this?

https://www.aol.co.uk/2011/08/29/ski-resort-to-become-worlds-first-to-make-fake-snow-from-treated-sewage/?guccounter=1

now you can't even eat white snow in Arizona!!!
snow conditions
ousekjarr wrote:

You forgot to mention that they also 'mow' the grass to improve the friction co-efficient. The image below clearly shows the 'mown' piste in Arabba…..

snow conditions
@albob, why don't they just do what Kitzbuhel does and pack away the snow at the end of the winter then roll it out again in late November? They do seem a little short of the white stuff at the moment.
ski holidays
They did think about that, but, with so many villages involved in the Sella Ronda, they couldn't agree about where to store it !!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy