Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing in Jan Or March

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've always skied towards the end of Jan - mostly 3 valleys. This year though due to work we may have to look towards middle/end of march. I have no experience of skiing later in the season and just wondered how others have found it ? Is snow coverage still good? Or is it slush by the afternoon? Any thoughts appreciated.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@RMM,
Snow cover is generally excellent at any resort with reasonable altitude..
Weather can vary considerably, lower and sunnier slopes can get slushy as the day progresses. It is often a matter of judging where to go when within a resort but any resort with some reasonably high north facing slopes should be able to offer skiing throughout the day.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
As above, we've been for many years mid march across many of the western alps ski areas. Never a problem and although hesitant to say it, prefer the snow conditions of march over January generally.

January CAN be relatively sparse in comparison. Of course you're going to get specific conditions in both periods that you'd prefer but don't think in any way you'd run into problems.

Experienced more ideal snowfall conditions in March than other months in my recollection.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Late Jan and early March are the best times of year for skiing I think - the best snow conditions excluding busy peak weeks (i.e. Feb). Like you we usually go late Jan, but occasionally work dictates March instead (or if we're really lucky, both).

*Very* generally I've found the following:
- snow quality is marginally better in Jan
- prices are slightly lower in Jan
- slopes are slightly quieter in Jan
- % open slopes is slightly better in Mar
- weather is slightly better in Mar
- lifts are often open longer in Mar

Make of that what you will, but I think the pros and cons pretty much even themselves out, though it'll vary from year to year. We've had perfect conditions in both months, but also a very poor mid-Jan trip to (high) Alpe d'Huez (with <50% runs open) and a very slushy late March trip to equally high La Plagne.

I've heard it said that the best snow conditions come slightly later in the season in the western Alps than the eastern Alps - something to do with distance from the sea / proximity to cold continental interiors.

If you're going back to the 3 Valleys, you shouldn't have any problems with snow cover in March. Some of the lowest or sunny runs might well be getting slushy, especially late in the month - such as those on the Saulire side of the Meribel valley. If you don't have a choice about switching to a March trip, it's certainly nothing to worry about.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Depends on the resort, depends on the weather, depends on the season.

Generally late march will be fine at any height, it can get a bit slushy at lower levels in the afternoons and some places might be starting to look bare. If you're intending to head back to 3v then as@denfinella, says some stuff might be slushy but coverage of most areas should be fine. The snowheads EOSB is late April and last year people skied from VT to Courchevel (although many of us just stick to VT)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We are big fans of 3V at new year and have also tried Tignes Val Claret and Les Arcs 1800 to mid April. It is a completely different experience with the long sunny days and clear light.Good snow conditions in each of the past three years in April Which is better-I don't know.It is well worth experiencing late in the season skiing. Its like my children I love them all differently and I love them all equally!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Go to a 'High' area and you will be fine
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I always go skiing in March to Val d'Isere and have never had poor conditions. In fact last year I'd never seen so much snow (it was an exceptional year). In the past it's sometimes been a bit soft on the lower slopes, but you often get warm, sunny lunches on terraces.

Best time of year to go IMO, especially if you go high. 3Vs will be fine!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
For steeps and powda (in Western Europe), February is the best month.

For steady vacation, March is always the best month.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy