Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resort recommendations withing driving distance of Amsterdam

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,
Looking forward to the coming season, and at present booked up for our annual trip to Avoriaz during Easter hols.

I'm desperate to fit another cheeky trip away in before then, and am mulling over a self-drive-self-catering trip to a lesser known (and hopefully cheaper) smaller resort somewhere.

We're in Newcastle, so the Newcastle-Amsterdam car ferry is a good option, so wondering about small German resorts perhaps?

Any suggestions from the forum please?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We drive to Austria in 1 day from Hook of Holland. Usually arriving between 7pm and 9pm, depending on traffic.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Whilst there are a number of small "resorts" dotted around Germany most of them are no more than one or two lifts, really only of interest to locals when there is decent snow (which in some seasons never appears). Certainly not worth the effort of travelling from Newcastle on the off chance there might be snow. There are some bigger places in the Black Forest and Bayerischer Wald but the effort involved in getting there means you would be better off going to the Alps. I would guess the nearest area and (currently) almost toll free drive from Amsterdam would be the Vorarlberg where there are a number of smaller resorts often with very good snow records eg Damüls which is supposed to be the snowiest spot in the alps.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks both for the replies. I half expected that to be the answer - I was just wondering if there was somewhere I wasn't aware of.

@munich_irish - I will look into the places that you mentioned, incase they suit what we're looking for.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Winterberg, but only for a weekend, and only if the snow makes it worth it.
But even with an overnight ferry, you still basically lose a day at each end of the trip by the time you get to even the nearest ski hill. Or it's a 12 hour drive to anywhere in the Alps.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@giddyman, with flights at £148 from Newcastle to Munich, you could be in the SkiWelt about 4-5 hours after take off (2 hour flight) with a hire car or by train to Wörgl and then taxi, and at less than half the price of taking the ferry and driving. It is much cheaper to drive at half term and Easter when everyone wants to fly, but outside of that flying beats everything else. Look at mid-late January for the best prices and good snow conditions.

A small apartment in somewhere like Söll can be found for under €500 if you don't mind being on the edge of town and taking a short bus ride to the lifts, passes are €249, and there are plenty of reasonable places to eat and drink if you don't fancy cooking. See https://www.skiwelt.at/en/search-accommodation.html
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Harz mountain range in northern Germany.

Has about 25km of piste spread over 5 'resorts' and 400m of vertical.

Would I bother driving and getting a ferry all the way from Newcastle? Probably not.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ditch Car im Amsterdam..Rotterdam or Eindhoven

Take a cheal Transavia flight to Innsbrucl or Salzburg
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
andy wrote:
But even with an overnight ferry, you still basically lose a day at each end of the trip by the time you get to even the nearest ski hill. Or it's a 12 hour drive to anywhere in the Alps.

Agreed. Willingen is also only 30min away which makes for a combined skiing total of....37km. It's more than a tow rope on a barely sled-able hill but it obviously pales in comparison to anywhere in the Alps. The thing that has going for it is that it's "only" 3.5 hours by car from Amsterdam and would be more than an ok budget option for beginners in your party.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

It is much cheaper to drive at half term and Easter

I prob should have mentioned, I'm tied to school holidays because my wife is a teacher, pretty much the only reason I'm considering the ferry. I'd normally just get a cheap easyJet flight to Geneva.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Landgraaf. Guaranteed snow, cheap all-inclusive deals, 3 pomas and a 6man chair, all just 2.5hrs by train or car from Amsterdam.

Never ever been closed by high winds, rain, or any adverse weather. Used by major national ski teams, that’s how good the 2 runs are Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

and
Quote:

Willingen is also only 30min away which makes for a combined skiing total of....37km

These are the types of suggestions I was looking for 👍.

To give a little more context to my OG post - I have 2 young boys, 6yrs and 3yrs. That obviously tips the balance a bit when comparing to flights + transfer. My eldest boy is a very good snowboarder for his age, the youngest is still learning. So this trip is intended to just give some bonus snow time to them prior to our main trip at Easter. With this in mind, I'm not too fussy about expert terrain/quantity of runs.

Thanks to all for replies - all good options. Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Don’t forget Belgium!
3 lifts and a massive 85m vertical.
https://www.skiresort.info/ski-resort/baraque-de-fraiture/
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@giddyman, I've skied in Willingen back in the day. It was a cold winter in Europe if I remember with loads of snow and we had a lot of fun. I was amazed you could ski in those altitudes. The kids were probably similar age to yours then. It's as good as it gets away from the Alps in Germany. But you will need to wait until the last minute, there are no guarantees on snow cover in that part of the world. And when it dumps it books up quick so keep an eye on it.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Good snow in Scotland is at least as likely as good snow in many of these places - closer, cheaper for a last minute hop. That's where I'd be looking if I lived in Newcastle.
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
Good snow in Scotland is at least as likely as good snow in many of these places - closer, cheaper for a last minute hop. That's where I'd be looking if I lived in Newcastle.

This.

Go to Scotland or England.

Nevis, Glencoe, Yad Moss, etc.

Belgium has a couple ski resorts, near to Holland, like Val de Wanne.
snow conditions
Whitegold wrote:
Yad Moss, etc.
snowHead
Nice one, fair enough on the place, a true enthusiast's location, but you'd be just as well served in any of the UK fridges shirley..

Agree with the tip on Landgraaf in SE Holland, it's a far superior option and easy to get to from anywhere in the Benelux, including a chunk of NW Germany and Calais/Amsterdam. Tried it October half-term on account of being in the area anyway and was very impressed. Amazing facility for indoors and a great fun-park for the kids and boarders. 400m descent and a 6seater lift indoors you don't see very often.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy