Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What causes topsheet damage?

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone know why my girlfriend's skis which are on their third season are pristine whilst mine, which were new this season and have been used 20 days, are totally battered.

What am I doing differently?! We're similar level skiers, skiing roughly the same stuff. Am I just more careless when putting them down without realising?

Bit of stupid question but it's annoying!

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Meltus, it's just that you are a scrappier skier. I'd imagine it's damage from your edges.

How could "putting them down" cause issues? Puzzled
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's called 'Mechanical Sympathy' and you either have it or don't... Fret not, and learn the phrase "Tools, not jewels" and rejoice that you'll have an excuse to buy another pair soon under N+1 rules.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I suppose I meant dropping them, plonking them against rough walls etc. I've not noticed myself doing anything but you never know. I shall endeavour to ski more elegantly in future!

Fair enough, maybe I'm just a mucky pup compared to others. I am aware of 'tools not jewels' but they're just so pretty Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Some sidewall/topsheet materials certainly damage more easily than others and anyone skiing 'old skool' on modern skis will knacker the topsheets on the inside radius of the tips pretty quickly.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Mine were damaged when someone kindly skied over the front of my skis. Fortunately a bit of epoxy seems to have limited the damage to merely cosmetic.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yeah I do think the material isn't particularly durable (BC Navis for reference). Any tips on how to avoid being 'old skool/scrappy' would be much appreciated! (didn't know I was... I'm only 32 and thought I was reasonably neat Crying or Very sad )

Thanks again
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Meltus, I also have those skis. I think the glossy finish to the top sheet makes the scruffiness appear worse than it is, and particularly because it’s black gloss (well, depending what vintage you have). My OH has similarly glossy top sheets in mainly white which don’t show up so much.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I just had to carry out 4 major topsheet delamination stick downs omn all tips and tails (about 18cm each) on Kooky's Atomic Access skis. I used Defcon flexible marine epoxy resin. They are pretty old skis and are used for a lot of off piste in heavy snow. My Nordica Enforcer's of over the same age (10 years) are fine apart from many dings.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Tw4ts in lift queues climbing all over your skis don't help the cosmetics.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
^ this

Also some skis have tip guards which help a bit.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I snowboard, but i guess construction would be broadly the same. If you get 'chips' knocked out of the edges of the top sheet by lift queue bumps I was told to take a file and run around the edge of the top sheet to take the angle off, which can apparently limit that.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mine took a bit of a hit last week when I stopped to get something out my bag. I absentmindedly went to plant my poles fairly aggressively in the hard pack and instead hit one of my skis quite squarely Laughing Obviously I rolled out the “tools not jewels” line and carried on with my day.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Some c##t regularly skis over the tips of my skis. Unfortunately he seems to be wherever I am.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Most of the damage on mine are from using the other ski to click the bindings.

Some skis come in both “hire” and “retail” versions. The hire version being heavier and having a tougher topsheet.
latest report
Laughing @Dave of the Marmottes,
ski holidays
I also put a touch of epoxy in tip and tail chips, holds them fine. I get a few from hitting branches or stones under the snow in the forests.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy