Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Are snow backpacks really worth it?

Poster: A snowHead
Browsing for a new backpack to take skiing, I notice that they all pretty much run in the $100-$175 sort of range. This seems like a lot of money for something that is essentially just a fabric pouch I'm gonna strap on my back.
Performance backpacks from other sports (running, climbing) tend to be around a similar price point, and while I get that they all have handy sport specific features, are they really worth dishing out the cash for?
If anyone has any experience skiing with backpacks, could they let us know if a snow backpack is essential, or if we're all suckers and a $30 one will hold an avalanche kit, first aid kit and water bottle just fine?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Skiing specific backpacks have:

Waist strap and chest strap, which are essential to stop the pack moving around.

Specific pockets for avalanche gear (less ‘essential’ but you don’t want to be searching around for your probe in an emergency).

Ski carry straps, to enable you to carry your skis diagonally or on the sides of the pack, shouldn’t you need to boot pack a bit.

That’s about the the most important features.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yup, I'm happy using either a climbing pack or a ski specific one, but my Dakine ski pack does have a great diagonal ski carry system.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Dh111, you do generally get what you pay for, the packs that I have owned at the price range that you are put out by have been much more durable, comfier and practical than anything that you could get for €30. I bought my Dakine Heli Pack in 2013 and use it very frequently for skiing and non skiing activities and it is still going strong
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Dh111,
I guess it depends what you want to do, the way I travel the backpack doubles as my cabin bag and I want it to carry a reasonable amount of stuff .
The two things that I find useful are something to strap skis to when boot packing and not too many extraneous bits and pieces which can get caught on chairs.
Personally when I've looked at the skiing ones they look overpriced for what they are and I have bought decent climbing/ walking ones, generally well over $30 but less than $175.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
MY standard daypack is a black diamond dawn patrol, with avalung.

https://www.snowsafe.co.uk/product/productblack-diamond-dawn-patrol-15-avalung-backpack/

meets all the criteria, sensibly priced, compact so i don't need to take it off on a chair.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have a ski/board specific pack which carries skis or board and does chair lift detaching; cost about £30 from Decathlon. Does a fine job when I need to carry said equipment or a lot of other off piste type gear ( else too big). I have a small Decathlon sack which does for the piste and cost £8 plus a tad of sewing to attach a chest belt strap. I have many other smallish mountain/walking sacs which have the appropriate selection of useful straps, pockets, kit carrying bits, etc etc.
None cost more than £40. All have lasted many many years.
Possibly more money buys something better, especially if you're not the type to add or adapt to suit you, but you might also pay for a brand name.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I had a cheaper one which lasted me two years before it started fraying from use and flapped about a bit when I skied.

Laid out for an Ortovox one and it’s still going strong after the same amount of use.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
No they are not worth it. A standard backpack will suffice, provided it will hold your boots and skis. (and your camelbak)
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
DanFuller wrote:
I had a cheaper one which lasted me two years before it started fraying from use and flapped about a bit when I skied.

Laid out for an Ortovox one and it’s still going strong after the same amount of use.

This

My ortovox one has lasted 6 years and still like new
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Oh you have to have a real ski back, how else are you going to carry the spare gloves, the spare lenses for the goggles, the spare jumper. Plus the spare jumpers and goggles and gloves for your mates who are smart enough not to be weighed down with knapsacks.

Whatever happened to bum bags?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
DrLawn wrote:
Oh you have to have a real ski back, how else are you going to carry the spare gloves, the spare lenses for the goggles, the spare jumper. Plus the spare jumpers and goggles and gloves for your mates who are smart enough not to be weighed down with knapsacks.

The fanny pack is back in fashion

https://www.google.com/amp/s/sneakernews.com/2018/06/01/nike-benassi-jdi-fanny-pack/amp/

As to the OP a Dakine Heli pack is the industry standard . Shouldn't cost too much.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
DrLawn wrote:

I wore mine every day at the PSB. Blush
I don't recall seeing another in the fortnight I was there. I find it ample for the stuff I wish to carry without the bulk of a backpack or the uncomfort of over stuffed pockets Smile

Why they don't have the popularity they used to have I haven't the faintest idea.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I’ve got a couple which I really like...

One is a project I watched on Kickstarter and when that was generally available I bought one - a liftrider. Pretty cool but was missing something - a ski carry system would have been ideal with everything else it has to offer (breakaway system so you don’t need to take it off on a lift - really cool... after I watched someone dangle via their backpack I realised how dangerous it could be with a sternum strap).

I also have a Dakine mission pro 18L I think. Diagonal ski carry system - not many useful pockets if you’re not carry a shovel/probe etc but the ski carry system is ideal with young kids... I can carry both theirs + poles with it so I’m not struggling carrying theirs + mine in my arms.

I have a couple of walking rucksacks too which I’ve used before but all the dangling straps are annoying and easily caught in chair lifts.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Can't comment on the expensive packs, never had one, my pack cost ~£20 from mountain warehouse or somewhere like that, complete with chest & waist straps.
£20, so what if it starts to fray after 2 years? It's been going 3 years so far without any sign of failure, however, you dont want sudden & complete failure halfway across the mountain.
snow conditions
Go to decathlon.
snow report
DrLawn wrote:

Consider this one?

A little worrying if you wore it facing backwards. Shocked
ski holidays