Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Season Recommendations (Europe this time!)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Picking up from a few threads recently, I have scaled down my season trip for 2019/20 to Europe as Whistler/ Utah (or even Denver) weren't feasible. So for a quick recap, it will be me (snowboard douche/bum) and the missus (work a priority, Bulgarian national with right to remain in UK).

Looking for a big area; lots of off-piste/ guiding options, good value as we'd like to be comfortable, but not luxury (unless its luxury at a peasants price!) France is off as she doesn't like it. So I'm thinking of Verbier and maybe staying in Le Chable that way I can go to Chamonix also and do some powder tours. rungsp and SteveSparks would like to get an idea of your apartments, please PM me.

My only concern is for the missus and work as there are restrictions up to 2020 I believe. There is a way to apply for a visa but I'm really struggling with the website (also struggled with Canada website) Does anyone know anything about this?

If we head out just before Christmas and stay until end of March or if we must end of April, what price for a nice ensuite room or large studio? I would prefer a 1 bed flat so friends can occasionally visit but I fear this may be too expensive. What am I looking at here and not a shoebox? Alternatively, rent a chalet and run it as catered chalet with me and the missus plus I'll fly in my mate who's a chef. I'd keep it to the minimum amount of weeks needed to cover the rent basically and/ or perhaps some of our costs. I worked it out to 6 weeks of the 3 months running at full capacity (6 guests based on an 8 person chalet) the only thing I don't like about this option is I'll have to WORK but we'd still have plenty of time to snowboard. The other thing here is I would need to make a deal with the chalet owners to allow such things and that could drastically change the price. Don't want to do it full time as I'm too old for that brownstuff. Is this viable or fantasy? I've joined some facebook groups but thought I'd ask here first being a snowHead an' all.

I'll have to do a few hours a week of work remotely which will be a doddle but would also like to write another novel during this time (chances are slim to none but...) What are peoples thoughts on the above. Any advice appreciated.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
How about Bansko Very Happy

I kid, I kid. I would definitely sort the work visa out first, as Switzerland may have more/less restrictions than the EU. Is there a network of seasonal workers from Bulgaria and non-Schengen countries that you could reach out to?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Should be no issues working in Switzerland see https://www.ch.ch/en/working-switzerland-eu-efta/ only restrictions for Bulgarians seem to be for contracts longer than a year. Might be more of an issue for you (assuming you are a Brit) after 31st March...... Currently neither of you need either a visa or permits for up to 90 days employment.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think the catered chalet idea is probably a no no for all manner of reasons:
1. Starting a business from scratch for one season-and actually attracting customers is hard; location is crucial and in reality you probably would struggle to break even in the first season. France it where it works best and has the biggest market, Switzerland less so, but my guess is the rental cost is proportionately much higher. Bear in mind chalet holidays are very much a British (and, to a lesser extent, dutch) concept and so tend to be more in the bigger and therefore more pricy resorts in the first place.
2. Renting a chalet that is big enough or suitable for a commercial venture is expensive;
3. There's all the paperwork and certification that comes with such a venture-I've not got any idea about what is involved beyond France, but you can't just open a catered venture without registration with the Marie, licences for serving alcohol etc and my guess is the same elsewhere.

In terms of renting seasonal accommodation, as long as you don't want to be slap bang in the middle of a resort and have a car, you can find some quite good value nice places. Or at least, that's certainly our experience looking for and renting property in the 3V in France (where I know you don't want to go), but it's a supply and demand issue. So-we've seen plenty of one to 2 bed apartments in satellite villages for around 600 euros per month. Meanwhile, a fairly typical french studio of 24sq M in the middle of a resort can be 5000 euros or more for the season.

Maybe you need to look at Italy?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Gainz, A suburb of Verbier would be a great choice. 1 bedroom flat around CHF1300 - 1500 per month, varies a lot depending on location and facilities, but you'll need to commit to the whole season to get prices like that. Studios a bit cheaper but they're in demand. Personally I think your chalet idea is fantasy I'm afraid.

Permits work like this: Get a job and it comes with a permit. The whole thing is done online by the employer - all you have to do is provide your passport details.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Pasigal wrote:

Funny enough she didn't like it there either!

So me being a Brit but I have dual citizenship with EU country, so I think I'm ok. I'll scrap the chalet idea as it seemed too much work anyway. What sort of work would she go for and how would she arrange this? I was just thinking that she could rock up to a bar or restaurant and get work then but the visa thing is proving a stickler. Thanks so far for the help.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Gainz wrote:
Pasigal wrote:

Funny enough she didn't like it there either!

So me being a Brit but I have dual citizenship with EU country, so I think I'm ok. I'll scrap the chalet idea as it seemed too much work anyway. What sort of work would she go for and how would she arrange this? I was just thinking that she could rock up to a bar or restaurant and get work then but the visa thing is proving a stickler. Thanks so far for the help.

No need for visas - EU citizens, no problem. But you must sort all this out before the season. Visit Verbier in the late summer and find somewhere to live, talk to people and find jobs. If you just pitch up at the beginning of the winter season and hope to get everything sorted out it'll end in disaster. What you want to do is totally achievable, but you need to work at it and not rely on the internet to sort it all out for you. You have to be there, or it won't happen.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you’re on FB sign up to the first 2 groups here. Le Chable perfect as where many of the season aired live. There’s also a Verbier jobs page.

April is the best month so I wouldn’t leave end March if I didn’t have to.

snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quick update, I've managed to get her around the idea of France specifically Chamonix. I think I've potentially found an apartment in town for 8000e for the whole season. Seems fair though a bit small, bills and parking included. Would Verbier be similar priced? Is it worth doing the season in verbs overall? I know Cham a bit and think it would keep us more entertained. I guess same rules apply for work in that we need to get there early. Any more thoughts?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Have you looked at Nendaz for 4V at possibly a better cost point, there's quite a range of apartments there that could be of interest. Interhome have a branch in the town that's been helpful to us in requests, may be worth a call. Less connected to Chamonix though.

Left field but interesting if you've a car as most of the Tarantaise is available, Ste Foy, very good small community, great off piste, access to so much more within 30mins drive.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
How do they get around the visa issue? @telford_mike,
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Verbier is higher, buzzier, posher, and easier.

Chamonix only wins on ultrasteeps.

Do Verbier.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy