Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

insulation question

Poster: A snowHead
my friend is bringing me a mountain hardwear jacket over from the states. he's asked me to choose if I want 40m2 or 80. I have no idea. what are ski jackets usually? I usually ski in January and have never been cold in my base layer and current oakley jacket but I have no idea on its thermal rating.

any help please. is 40 enough for alpine skiing?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My house is 70m2...?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@dave_3, I usually just wear a shell jacket with no insulation and a thinn base underneath. I do run hot though. I'd go for the lighter as it's easy to put another thin layer on underneath but if you spring ski in 10C you may be sweating buckets in a thick jacket.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@dave_3, it would help if you could qualify what those numbers actually refer to?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Surely the question is 40g/m2 or 80g/m2. Basicly the higher the number the higher the insulation, and thefore warmer.

https://www.udenssport.se/product.html/rossignol-hero-world-cup-si-70-sc?category_id=37

Layering is still the beast way to achive warmth.

this is an 80g/m2
https://www.mountainhardwear.com/mens-superbird-insulated-jacket-1731861.html?dwvar_1731861_variationColor=838#q=insulation&prefn1=genderGroup&prefn2=productClass&prefv1=Mens&prefv2=Jackets&start=0

This is a 40g/m2
https://www.mountainhardwear.com/mens-firefall-jacket-1731661.html?dwvar_1731661_variationColor=011#q=insulation&prefn1=genderGroup&prefn2=productClass&prefv1=Mens&prefv2=Jackets&start=0
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Bob wrote:
Surely the question is 40g/m2 or 80g/m2. Basicly the higher the number the higher the insulation, and thefore warmer.

https://www.udenssport.se/product.html/rossignol-hero-world-cup-si-70-sc?category_id=37

Layering is still the beast way to achive warmth.

this is an 80g/m2
https://www.mountainhardwear.com/mens-superbird-insulated-jacket-1731861.html?dwvar_1731861_variationColor=838#q=insulation&prefn1=genderGroup&prefn2=productClass&prefv1=Mens&prefv2=Jackets&start=0

This is a 40g/m2
https://www.mountainhardwear.com/mens-firefall-jacket-1731661.html?dwvar_1731661_variationColor=011#q=insulation&prefn1=genderGroup&prefn2=productClass&prefv1=Mens&prefv2=Jackets&start=0

they are the exact same jackets he is getting me. he's basically asked me to choose between the two
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Pretty meaningless numbers.

Does twice the weight mean twice the insulation?

Who knows?

Personally, go for a shell and layer up.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Oh, and have you tried them on? Last time I looked, MH had some very off sizing.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ahh well.
I tend to run hot, So I'd go with 40g/m2, and add or subtract layers as required.
My daughter who is always freezing, would go with 80g/m2.
If you ski Canada in dec-jan go with 80g. or 40G with additional layering.
If you ski Europe in March probably 40g.

but mos importantly, I'd go with the dark copper colour,
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I haven't tried any on as they don't sell them this side of the pond. he is sponsored by them so it's a Free gift for taking care of things for him over here.

no big deal if it doesn't fit. I have noticed they have weird sizes. I'm 6ft 3 and 15 stone. looks like I only need a large instead of my usual xl.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It is the amount of insulation in the jacket.

I have 2 Arc’teryx Atom jackets. The SL (super light) has 40g/m2 insulation and I use this as a hiking jacket in the spring to autumn (between 7 to 15C) and in the winter for XC skiing and running. The insulation is so thin it is really just a wind shell.

I also have the LT (lightweight) which has 60g/m2 insulation. This I can use by itself down to 2C and under a goretex jacket down to -5C.

I also have 2 Norrøna insulated jackets which I think have 100g/m2 insulation. These were my first two skiing jackets and I have used them over the years from +5C to -15C without any overheating. It’s easier to cool down than warm yourself up.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
just go by chest size, remember that you may want to layer underneath...
I tried jackets on at one of my local shops before I ordered online, worked well for me.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@dave_3, hmmm I think you might want XL...!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name wrote:

i have a 45 inch chest but only a 34 inch waist. finding a jacket to fit me in length but not be like a tent in the mid section is a life long battle for me. according to the website MH look like it comes up quite big. there's a northface jacket in a shop by me that has a similar size guide so I might try it on

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Tue 6-11-18 12:05; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@dave_3, I’m 40” chest 30” waist and found mH a bit snug. Not quite sure who they are sizing for Puzzled
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@dave_3, I’m 40” chest 30” waist and found mH a bit snug. Not quite sure who they are sizing for Puzzled

what size did you have? how tall are you?
ski holidays
dave_3 wrote:
under a new name wrote:

i have a 44 inch chest but only a 34 inch waist. finding a jacket to fit me in length but not be like a tent in the mid section is a life long battle for me. according to the website MH look like it comes up quite big. there's a northface jacket in a shop by me that has a similar size guide so I might try it on

I'm 5' 11" 34 waist 46" chest. I tried on a MH (supercharger I think) Jacket in TKMaxx a while back and the XL felt pretty tight on me.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy