Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Suggestions on where to go - last week of March

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Evening all,

The OH and I have booked a week off from 23rd March to the 30th. Looking to get away again after just getting back from 3V yesterday.

We are going to wait to the week before to book to hopefully make the most of a last minute deal but interested to hear peoples suggestions on some resorts we may want to look at.

We are both good intermediates. We can ski black runs but prefer challenging reds and long, rolling blues. Like to feel like we are covering some ground as opposed to running the same runs every day. We don't do off piste. Not after massive apres, but enjoy maybe a tipple in a decent bar. Our only real requirement is that we don't want to do France again (having done the last 4 trips there).

My main priority is decent snow. I know booking late will allow us to choose a resort that has good snow coverage but having not gone away that late in the season before (normally Jan we go) should I follow the golden rule of higher is better? We were keen on the Dolomites and the Sella Ronda specifically but not if snow quality will be dodgy.

Our list of places ideally would be: Italy (Dolomites), Austria (open to all suggestions), Zermatt (or Cervinia) or Verbier.

Thanks in advance!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Usually, yes, higher the better, though northerly slope direction is also important.

Usually, the Dolomites might be getting pretty slushy at that time of year, and similar for the lower Austrian resorts (even if there's still plenty of snow in terms of coverage). Higher Austrian resorts, Zermatt / Cervinia and Verbier probably better bets, plus the usual suspects in France.

Depends on the weather though. Last year was unusual - it was cold and snowy in mid/late March and we had perfect snow conditions even down at 1000m in Italy in late March.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not Verbier for what you want. Zermatt would fit. Maybe Arlberg or Ischgl?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
BobinCH wrote:
Not Verbier for what you want. Zermatt would fit. Maybe Arlberg or Ischgl?

Why no to Verbier out of interest?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Fridge03 wrote:

We are both good intermediates. We can ski black runs but prefer challenging reds and long, rolling blues. Like to feel like we are covering some ground as opposed to running the same runs every day. We don't do off piste. Not after massive apres, but enjoy maybe a tipple in a decent bar.

Verbier is best for advanced skiers who will enjoy the long, demanding, itineraries and the unrivalled off piste. And the big après! It’s not a great piste cruising destination like 3V or EK.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
BobinCH wrote:
Fridge03 wrote:

We are both good intermediates. We can ski black runs but prefer challenging reds and long, rolling blues. Like to feel like we are covering some ground as opposed to running the same runs every day. We don't do off piste. Not after massive apres, but enjoy maybe a tipple in a decent bar.

Verbier is best for advanced skiers who will enjoy the long, demanding, itineraries and the unrivalled off piste. And the big après! It’s not a great piste cruising destination like 3V or EK.

Ok. Thanks for the info!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Fridge03, where can you get flights to?

I think you'd like Ischgl for the various "circuits" https://www.ischgl.com/en/Active/Active-Winter/Smugglers-Circuit

The Arlberg has a circuit called the run of Fame https://www.skiarlberg.at/en/regions/activities/run-of-fame-1

Or somewhere like Champoluc for something a bit different? nice long runs across to Alagna and back.

Although given the huge snowfalls in Austria I think I'd be heading there!!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kitenski wrote:
@Fridge03, where can you get flights to?

I think you'd like Ischgl for the various "circuits" https://www.ischgl.com/en/Active/Active-Winter/Smugglers-Circuit

The Arlberg has a circuit called the run of Fame https://www.skiarlberg.at/en/regions/activities/run-of-fame-1

Or somewhere like Champoluc for something a bit different? nice long runs across to Alagna and back.

Although given the huge snowfalls in Austria I think I'd be heading there!!

Thanks for your ideas. Austria is defo on our list due to the snowfall they have had!

Does anyone know what Andorra is like at that time in March? Always fancied the Grandvalira.

Or the Sella Ronda?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We went to Grandvalira mid-March in 2017. Doing the same this year so it must have been good! Sounds like you'd enjoy travelling between the different resorts.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Fridge03, PM me if you’re interested in Saalbach. I don’t have a crystal ball, but last season mid-March and early April gave us good conditions.
Also White Pearl Mountain Days (google it) will be hosting mountain top parties at a variety of restaurants between 15th March and 31st April.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Fridge03, PM me if you’re interested in Saalbach. I don’t have a crystal ball, but last season mid-March and early April gave us good conditions.
Also White Pearl Mountain Days (google it) will be hosting mountain top parties at a variety of restaurants between 15th and 31st March.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Mon 4-02-19 17:48; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Never been to Dolomites that late as we usually go earlier in season.

Sounds like it would be ideal skiing for what you are looking for- Dolomiti Superski is enormous, food is great and often cheaper than the French resorts. Oh and you get Bombardinos :-

If you can really wait until last minute and snow looking good could be a goer.

I think the latest I've been was mid March - snow was fine- but we could have got lucky
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi, flying to Pas de La Casa (Grandvalira, Andorra) on Feb 19th!

Any ideas on cheap tickets? Should I purchase online on grandvalira.com or look for some offers elsewhere?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yes there are huge amounts of snow in Austria at the moment and no doubt there will be decent ski touring until early June maybe even later. However spring has arrived early, warm sunny weather for at least the next week maybe even two weeks. That is going to affect the lower resorts and those with a lot of south facing skiing. Given that I would suggest looking at the higher Austrian resorts, simply because snow conditions are likely to be better and they are more likely to get further snow falls when the warm dry spell ends (this assumes that skiing not partying is you main focus).

Places I would look at would be Arlberg, Ischgl, Serfaus / Fiss, Zillertal. I suspect Obergurgl and Obertauern would be too small for your requirements though Obergurgl is linked to Sölden by a short bus trip, it has two glacier areas so that might be worth looking at too.

I have never skied in the Dolomites but the Südtirol is very popular in the Munich area. I was talking to someone the other day who was just back from the Grödenertal (part of Sella Ronda) and the feedback was that the pistes were OK, off piste not brilliant and they felt a good bit more snow was needed, which seems unlikely this season. Perhaps others here have more positive feedback.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy