Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Head Supershape Magnum?

Poster: A snowHead
Looking to treat myself to a new pair of skis. Have some older Salomon X drive which are a quite wide waisted (88mm?) all mountain ski. I've tried off piste and to be honest it isn't really for me; I'm a big guy (stop it...) and find it hard work. Probably doing it wrong. I really enjoy quick longish turns on piste, so want a pair of piste skis. I'm reasonably accomplished at - admittedly - this relatively easy way of skiing (compared with off piste, moguls etc).

These skis review well, and tend to say you can be not quite as expert to use them if you are a big skier...

Can get 15% off at Absolute Snow with Skiclub discount, so about £500

Any comments?

(Was also looking at Salomon E S/MAX 10)
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Can't really go wrong with the Magnum.

There's some great ex-demo 18/19 piste performance skis here at the right price: http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=139169

Check out the Dynastar Speed Zone 12's, the Volkl Racetigers, The Nordica Dobermann Spitfires and the Blizzard Firebirds/Quattros.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
spyderjon wrote:
Can't really go wrong with the Magnum.

There's some great ex-demo 18/19 piste performance skis here at the right price: http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=139169

Check out the Dynastar Speed Zone 12's, the Volkl Racetigers, The Nordica Dobermann Spitfires and the Blizzard Firebirds/Quattros.

Thanks - was concerned the Magnum are too good for me, but reviews say they are easy to ski.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@buchanan101, even in their longest length, the Magnum is a a fairly tight turning ski so may not be ideal for your skiing style. I would think you would be better off with something with a 16-17m turn radius.

The Dynastar SZ12's above in a 182cm would probably work or you could consider these:

http://youtube.com/v/rOeOAxdLlQs

The Volkls have a 17m turn radius in 178cm and sound accessible to all abilities.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks - the Magnum is 14.2m in 177cm length. Will look at the ones you recommend, but maybe in my old age I should be slowing down slightly and going for a bit more style in smaller turns?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I skied the Titans, so not quite the same as the Magnums but pretty similar, for a few years and liked them a lot. Then I got a pair of the Dynastar Speed Zone 12 (actually the 14, but same ski with different binding) from spyderjon and haven't looked back. They just seem to do everything with a real sense of stability and control. They are a longer radius ski than the Magnums or Titans, which is noticeable, but I think I prefer that. If you can get a good deal on the Magnums then go for it (they are a very good ski and I think a good match for your description of your skiing) but as spyderjon is offering the speedzone 12 at £100 less I'd bite his hand off.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
buchanan101 wrote:
Thanks - the Magnum is 14.2m in 177cm length. Will look at the ones you recommend, but maybe in my old age I should be slowing down slightly and going for a bit more style in smaller turns?
It really depends on whether you can carve or are just doing fast skidded turns. It's not clear from your post what your real skill level is on piste?

A shorter turn radius ski may help in the skidded turn but if you're carving all day can be tiring. If your skills at least allow you to rail the ski (stand on the edge and let the shape of the ski do the work for most of the turn) then a longer turn radius is more relaxing.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You might be interested in last year's reviews by the same tester which include the Magnum:

http://youtube.com/v/57QAgYznHyI

I haven't tried the latest generation with the graphene but I get the impression from reviews that it is more demanding than the previous version. I own the previous version and rarely go out on them in the mountain. I also prefer long turns and they don't suit me. When I was less experienced, all my favourite skis were 16-17m turn radius and my current daily driver is 20m.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Raceplate wrote:
buchanan101 wrote:
It really depends on whether you can carve or are just doing fast skidded turns. It's not clear from your post what your real skill level is on piste?

A shorter turn radius ski may help in the skidded turn but if you're carving all day can be tiring. If your skills at least allow you to rail the ski (stand on the edge and let the shape of the ski do the work for most of the turn) then a longer turn radius is more relaxing.

yes I can carve - on the steeper runs I will be skidding of course; I'm not that good to pretend I carve everything, especially as I will be wanting to lose speed not gain.

It is funny the number of people who say "it was great carving down that run" when all they did was skid...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The Salomon S/Max has a bigger radius than the Head = 15m
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Raceplate wrote:
buchanan101 wrote:

This! a short radius piste ski is not the most relaxing of beasts to ski and the bigger the radius the more relaxed usually. If you are carving properly you'll find a 16-17m ski great to ski. Ive found the smaller radius's a bit fidgety.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
OK, thanks. I wouldn't be carving all day mind...

Trying to look up what my 2015 X drives were... 15.9m @175cm. I just feel that as they are all terrain they are a bit of a compromise that I don't need (can always take two sets anyway!)

The Dynastar 12 say "expert" on their website so I'm trying to see what the 10's are for radius etc
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
...15m, both 10s and 12s...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I loved the Magnums, when I hired them a couple of years ago. They are reasonably flexible where turn type is concerned...but do favour Short and Medium turns. Letting rip with Super G type turns does require fairly empty pistes.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
buchanan101 wrote:
...15m, both 10s and 12s...
That's the reference length for the SZ12. In a 182cm they will be 16m ish. You didn't give your stats but if you're a big lad I can't see the 10's being long or stiff enough for you.
ski holidays
I'm 185cm, 110kg! Used to be all muscle...
ski holidays
buchanan101 wrote:
yes I can carve - on the steeper runs I will be skidding of course; I'm not that good to pretend I carve everything, especially as I will be wanting to lose speed not gain.

It is funny the number of people who say "it was great carving down that run" when all they did was skid...

Indeed! So if you can carve then for sure you can ski a Magnum. The question is do you want something that turns similarly to your current ski or tighter. Of course whatever you buy will be narrower and quicker edge to edge with more grip. You're also likely to be able to bend it and incline it more which will make it turn tighter still.
latest report
...I have been called the "Monster Trucks of Skiing"
latest report
buchanan101 wrote:
I'm 185cm, 110kg! Used to be all muscle...
Then for sure you need a ski that's 180cm+ and stiff to feel secure at speed.
snow report
buchanan101 wrote:
...I have been called the "Monster Trucks of Skiing"
Laughing Actually I get that. So you need something that's strong enough to bully snow out of the way.
snow report
Current Salomon were the longest they did at 175cm... They do vibrate a bit at speed
snow conditions
The SMax Blast are 17m at 180cm.
ski holidays
Most skis seem to stop at 175/177...180 at a pinch, so it may be those Dynastars
latest report
Raceplate wrote:
The SMax Blast are 17m at 180cm.

Says for expert... but I have seen elsewhere that a heavier skier can go up a grade in effect (advanced to expert)

I had considered these before...
snow report
If you can carve clean tracks and like speed then I see no reason why you can't ski an "expert" ski. And you're right, your weight will make it flex more and therefore behave in a slightly friendlier way.
snow conditions
I'm very light - around 64kg - and found the Magnums had a "playful" nature, in a 170 and suited my build. At your weight, I'd be looking at the Dynastars, which are a more solid, damp ski.

I tried some Blizzard Quatros, which I found very damp, but for me, lacked the fun factor....so maybe another ski to look at.
snow conditions
Ok - so these, in 182cm you think?

https://www.snowinn.com/ski-store/dynastar-speed-zone-12-ti-konect-nx-12-b80/136997771/p?utm_source=google_products&utm_medium=merchant&id_producte=7785493&country=uk&gclid=CjwKCAjw39reBRBJEiwAO1m0Of4kcs0NJhtSunXjIHVs0FtF8_nnB2cROJYXQgTegocsygAEhsPSqBoCXNoQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Had a pair of Dynastar 207cm GS racing skis back in the 80s..the ones with the blobs on the tips
ski holidays
Think they'll be absolutely fine though I'd probably buy the ex-demo pair off @spyderjon for £400. Still, fair enough if you want a shiny new pair.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@buchanan101, at your stats I'd avoid the NX binding. These are still available from the Dynastar ex-demo sale:
1no. pair 18/19 Speed Zone 12 Ti 182cm c/w SPX 12 Konect bindings. List £600. Offer price £400 - which is a steal.
ski holidays
You saying I’m fat?

The Ellis Brigham ones come with SPX 12 Konect. Can get them there for £535.

https://m.ellis-brigham.com/products/dynastar-mens-speed-zone-12-ti-skis--spx-12-konnect-dual-b80-ski-bindings-2018--2019/700847
ski holidays
@buchanan101, I have bought a pair of the ex-Demi Dynastars from Spyderjon.

Quote:

You'd be buying unseen but the skis are in excellent condition as they've only ever been skied at a few demo events.

As one of the testers of the skis I have purchased as well I feel they are really good buys. Certainly the skitest at Hemel you are talking about a few runs in a snow dome.
snow report
buchanan101 wrote:
.....The Ellis Brigham ones come with SPX 12 Konect. Can get them there for £535.

https://m.ellis-brigham.com/products/dynastar-mens-speed-zone-12-ti-skis--spx-12-konnect-dual-b80-ski-bindings-2018--2019/700847

I can do them new for that price shipped or for £510 collected but the ex-demo's are the exact same ski for only £425 shipped of £400 collected.
latest report
Ok. Sounds interesting. Assume you are in Nottingham? How are you paid?

Can you set up if I give you boot size (it’s the biggest Salomon shell!). Are they factory waxed only?
latest report
buchanan101 wrote:
Ok. Sounds interesting. Assume you are in Nottingham? How are you paid?

Can you set up if I give you boot size (it’s the biggest Salomon shell!). Are they factory waxed only?

Yes, I'm in Nottingham - well in a village called Lambley just to the east to be precise . My contact number is on my website so just call me with your card details (but not AmEx).

I can set the rail to your sole length and set the dins etc but the forward pressure adjustment/verification can only be done with your own boot but if the skis are being shipped it's a doddle to do yourself under my instruction.

The new skis come with a factory wax job which is as good/bad as any other factory wax but I also offer any level of base prep &/or edge angle set-up you require at an additional cost. The ex-demo's come as they are and I can service them or do any set-up work required at an additional cost. The new skis would be ordered in for you which usually takes a couple of weeks or the ex-demos will be available mid Nov when the UK rep has finished his dealer tour/training sessions etc.
snow conditions
I’ve got the magnums in a 170cm, blizzard Latigos in 177 and blizzard Brahmas in 180.

I really enjoy my magnums indoors (although I’m now looking for shorter radius skis to replace them). But I didn’t like them on a hill.

I took the magnums and my latigos to Andorra this year. Used the magnums for one day and then tried the latigos. Didn’t go back to the magnums. The latigos were just a different class of ski for me.

I’m 14.5st level 7 on iOS scale with about 8 weeks mountain skiing behind me. So the magnums might be a little short for me on a mountain.

I purchased some brahmas from Spyderjon after Andorra and used them in April and now I can’t see me using anything else. Amazing ski.

Probably a better skier than me would get more out of the magnums and I often see regulars at Hemel looking great on them but for me it was night and day on the slopes.
ski holidays
I've rented the Magnums for 2 weeks last season ... and I loved them.
I'm 84kg and 176cm tall.

I wanted to rent the same again from the Oxalys in April, but the only good piste ski they could offer me was a dull looking pair of black and white Salamon X-Max 12.
I thought these will never do, but then little by little they put an even bigger smile on my face.
So I love these now.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy