Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Views on luggage/ skis

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, just after a little bit of guidance as to what works best for taking skis and luggage away on trips and also what is permissible with the airline companies.
Do you opt to pay for a ski bag and also separately pay for 20 kg of luggage OR try and combine both skis and luggage in to a larger ski bag???
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I fly easJet, stick skis and boots, back pack etc in a ski bag (20kg limit) and take the max size allowed cabin baggage. If you take ski bag and hold luggage it sometimes costs more than the flight itself.

Note that some of the roller ski bags add quite a bit of weight so I bought a fairly cheap ski bag without wheels that is under a kilo.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Perfect, exactly the sort of feedback I was after, covering most of the regular airline companies, thank you
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Depends on who you fly with, for a start. I usually go Crystal (Thomson Air) and take a 20kg hold bag, cabin rucksack (technically 5 kg) and pay for ski/board carriage at 1 pair per bag up to 15kg (or some variants year on year, max combined bag weight up to 23kg). I usually take 2 pairs skis (or skis + board) in 1 bag, along with varipys odds and sods to make sure I use up my weight allowance, and Mr G does the same. I just squeeze all the weight in between the various bags, but I do take a fair amount of potions and foods with me as well as usual clothes, boots & equipments.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I am also going with Crystal and thought I had spotted that ski bags were purely for skis, I need to now buy a bag so wanted to buy appropriately without finding myself with bigger issues at check in, thank you for sharing
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Fly BA club class and get luggage and skis included. It sometimes doesn’t work out much dearer than paying for luggage and skis.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Going forwards it will definitely be a consideration with bookings, but I had booked already for January, then recently bought skis so am now facing a new dilemma, historically I rented so was never a factor previously. Thank you for your response
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Note that SWISS Air and Eurowings take skis and snowboards for free.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Woo hoo, thank you for the heads up, will make a note of all the ski friendly airlines for my next jaunt
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Russ, BA let you use a ski bag as your 23kg luggage as long as it doesn’t exceed 190cm long. We have a big double bag which I can fit all 4 sets of skis and poles in, then we fit everything else in. If I were going on my own would still use double ski bag just shove everything in with the skis.

Also they suggest if you need to you can put your ski boot into a hand baggage (as long as it is in a bag inside their dimensions)
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
That is fabulous and I do get the feel that combining your luggage and skis is the way forwards, along with careful selection of airlines to use, I may invest properly on a large skibag and also get a cheap single bag for the awkward companies. Thank you so much for you valuable experience and reply
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Russ, we bought a Dakine double ski bag in the sales after the end of season one year. I looked at wheeled ones but steered clear them as they took too much of my weight allowance!

My sister has just bought this one for just such a purpose, I haven’t seen it in the flesh yet. Will let you know when I do if you are interested.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TSE-DOUBLE-185cms-Binding-Protection/dp/B07738N2QJ/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1542828271&sr=8-5&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=double+ski+bag&dpPl=1&dpID=317OMkE1hsL&ref=plSrch&tag=amz07b-21
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
That looks great, I do only have one pair so may look if they do a single option as I don’t think I would be able to get much else in besides, but the quality looks good. Will see if anyone has any recommendations for a combined luggage and skis bag, I love the community spirit on snowheads, it is fab the way people are prepared to share. Thanks Nicky
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Russ wrote:
That looks great, I do only have one pair so may look if they do a single option as I don’t think I would be able to get much else in besides, but the quality looks good. Will see if anyone has any recommendations for a combined luggage and skis bag, I love the community spirit on snowheads, it is fab the way people are prepared to share. Thanks Nicky

The point is with that bag you should be able to get all your gear into the one bag.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Really, do you think so? It’s only 14cm x 42cms, I know it’s long but all the same I never envisaged it would house everything, then boots as hand luggage?
snow conditions
@Russ, well it fits my 8yr old nephew inside. Happy

If I have done my maths right it will be 111l capacity.
ski holidays
Ha ha love it, that equation of calculus is far beyond my CSE grade 3 capacity, and so I will not dare challenge your findings, and even if I had a scientific calculator to hand, I would only be able to spell a few rude words if you looked at it from the wrong side lol
latest report
Most airline T&Cs say a ski/snowboard bag should only contains skis/boots/pole/boards.
Most airline passengers pack some/all their clothes in their ski/board bags, as protective padding if nothing else.
I'm not sure I've ever seen a thread on SH where someone reported checkin staff checking what was in their bag and rejecting it if mixed.
The only issue with packing clothes in your ski bag is the airline or travel insurance provider MIGHT use it to wiggle out of some/all of a claim for a lost or damaged bag. Very few bags actually get lost or damaged ni transit though so down to you and your personal risk profile.

Personally I always go separate ski and hold bags, but more because I have a SporTube hard case and there isn't room for much more than the skis.
ski holidays
A very good point well raised and I appreciate there is a level of calculated risk with the insurance of luggage and belongings. Thank you so much for your input, all valuable and with good sense applied.
snow conditions
Mjit wrote:
Most airline T&Cs say a ski/snowboard bag should only contains skis/boots/pole/boards.
Most airline passengers pack some/all their clothes in their ski/board bags, as protective padding if nothing else.
I'm not sure I've ever seen a thread on SH where someone reported checkin staff checking what was in their bag and rejecting it if mixed.
The only issue with packing clothes in your ski bag is the airline or travel insurance provider MIGHT use it to wiggle out of some/all of a claim for a lost or damaged bag. Very few bags actually get lost or damaged ni transit though so down to you and your personal risk profile.

Personally I always go separate ski and hold bags, but more because I have a SporTube hard case and there isn't room for much more than the skis.

This very much depends on who you are flying with. As I said about BA treats skis as part of your hold allowance, so no issue combining.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 22-11-18 18:03; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@Russ, as you are going with Crystal, I have taken this from the website. Note the weight limit on one bag...

"Ski carriage

Ski carriage can be purchased per set of skis or snowboard and not per bag. The cost of one set in one bag is £45 with a maximum weight limit of 15kg. If you're planning to take two sets of skis or two snowboards in one bag, you must purchase two ski carriage extras at £45 each – however, the total weight must not exceed 23kg. You can also pack clothes in the bag, as long as it does not exceed the weight limit.

You can use one of the larger 'coffin-style' bags by paying the £45 return carriage charge, allowing a checked allowance for this item of 23kg total. If you choose this option, no other hold baggage is allowed.."
latest report
Slight deviation from the thread but a top tip if you are travelling with crystal and staying at the airport overnight for an early flight next day.

At Gatwick , Manchester and Birmingham you can check in hold bags and get boarding passes etc the night before...

Makes the early morning start the next day a little more bearable plus it saves unloading and reloading the car at the hotel...

We did it at Manchester in February . No queues at all at 8pm at night Very Happy
latest report
@Russ, If your skis get lost then you can always rent. If you lose your boots then it is a pain. So I use this for my boots.

https://rab.equipment/uk/kitbag-50

Although the height is 31cm, it is 31cm wide so you can always squash it inside a carryon check box because the only hard thing is the boots. I put some basic ski gear in there. Socks, jacket, salopettes etc so I can always ski no matter what.

The great thing about it is the ruck sac shoulder straps. Then when getting to and from the hotel you are not dragging many bags through the snow. Also in the airport you only need to drag one or two bags and this is on the back.
ski holidays
@sheffskibod, +1. I do this at Gatwick
latest report
Thanks for the tip, not applicable for me as I am only 30 minutes from Manchester but I guess others will read the thread and pick up on the top secret tip, well worth doing for the reasons you said. I find the crystal blurb a little confusing and hard to decipher with total assurances, hence why I reached out to snowheads that know a little more than I. Thank you for your valued input
snow report
@GlasgowCyclops,
Great kit bag, thanks for your post and the link, great point raised about not having enough hands and the fact that boots should be priority #1
latest report
I use one of these, I can nearly get every thing into it (except skis and poles).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/OGIO-Travel-cm-123-Litre-Black/dp/B01MFFUA4O/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1542919457&sr=8-2&keywords=ogio%2Bluggage&th=1&psc=1&tag=amz07b-21

I've got the KTM colours but the Red Bull one looks really good.

https://www.redbullshopus.com/products/red-bull-signature-series-ogio-9800-large-gear-bag
latest report
Russ wrote:
@GlasgowCyclops,
Great kit bag, thanks for your post and the link, great point raised about not having enough hands and the fact that boots should be priority #1

PS you can always get them at £50-60 in various shops. Mine was £50. Currently £60 in cotswold
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
seeing as we are talking bags, have a look at this

https://www.snowandrock.com/p/snow-and-rock-weekender-wheelie-bag-I4134222.html?channable=e49282.MjEyOTY3XzM2MzNfT25lIFNpemU&colour=3633&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIv-jZ1ZPp3gIV7p3tCh3MBgeAEAYYASABEgLbUfD_BwE

it is called a 'weekender' but is huge, so would do for a week (or even two....)

main benefits are the zipped sections at either end, which will take a ski boot each
snow conditions
albob wrote:
seeing as we are talking bags, have a look at this

https://www.snowandrock.com/p/snow-and-rock-weekender-wheelie-bag-I4134222.html?channable=e49282.MjEyOTY3XzM2MzNfT25lIFNpemU&colour=3633&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIv-jZ1ZPp3gIV7p3tCh3MBgeAEAYYASABEgLbUfD_BwE

it is called a 'weekender' but is huge, so would do for a week (or even two....)

main benefits are the zipped sections at either end, which will take a ski boot each

The size of this is a hold bad and is had carry. So any bag will do. I would go with a mega rucksack or hold bag.
snow report
@Russ, We have been with Crystal many times and never had any problems with packing out the ski bag with clothes. The ski bag never really gets weighed, it only goes halfway onto the scales so the check-in person can attach the luggage ticket then you pull them back and carry them to the oversize luggage drop off point. If you are worried that you may be pushing the weight limit, don't let go of the end of the ski bag that you are holding wink
We have had a few different airlines when booking through Crystal (like Thomson and Air Austria), but the only bother we had was last Christmas when Crystal used BA. The check-in girl tried to charge for a boot bag as an extra piece of luggage. We had to explain that we had holidayed many times with Crystal and boot bags were always part of ski carriage, we had never been charged extra. She eventually relented. Funnily enough we were going to visit my StepD for Xmas, and she had bought her mum and me new boot bags for Xmas presents.... they never got used on the way home lol.
One other thing to remember is that your ski bag won't appear on the carousel at arrivals, it will be with all the other skibags (different spots for different airports- eg. Innsbruck is outside round the back- just follow everyone else.
snow report
DrLawn wrote:
I use one of these, I can nearly get every thing into it (except skis and poles).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/OGIO-Travel-cm-123-Litre-Black/dp/B01MFFUA4O/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1542919457&sr=8-2&keywords=ogio%2Bluggage&th=1&psc=1&tag=amz07b-21

I've got the KTM colours but the Red Bull one looks really good.

https://www.redbullshopus.com/products/red-bull-signature-series-ogio-9800-large-gear-bag

I've always fancied one of these ogio 9800 bags, but the over 6kg weight of the bag alone puts me off for airline use. Fine for throwing in the back of a pick-up truck for motocross use or similar, but too much out of a limited luggage weight allowance.
latest report
dode wrote:
@Russ, We have been with Crystal many times and never had any problems with packing out the ski bag with clothes. The ski bag never really gets weighed, it only goes halfway onto the scales so the check-in person can attach the luggage ticket then you pull them back and carry them to the oversize luggage drop off point. If you are worried that you may be pushing the weight limit, don't let go of the end of the ski bag that you are holding wink
We have had a few different airlines when booking through Crystal (like Thomson and Air Austria), but the only bother we had was last Christmas when Crystal used BA. The check-in girl tried to charge for a boot bag as an extra piece of luggage. We had to explain that we had holidayed many times with Crystal and boot bags were always part of ski carriage, we had never been charged extra. She eventually relented. Funnily enough we were going to visit my StepD for Xmas, and she had bought her mum and me new boot bags for Xmas presents.... they never got used on the way home lol.
One other thing to remember is that your ski bag won't appear on the carousel at arrivals, it will be with all the other skibags (different spots for different airports- eg. Innsbruck is outside round the back- just follow everyone else.

Sometimes.... Chambery it was on the same belt.
ski holidays
@NickyJ, similarly with Edinburgh, but it is uncommon.
ski holidays
@GlasgowCyclops agree that bags are good bit of kits but I have seen a few arsey airport boarding staff that would pick that bag out to fit in the cage without encouraging it in, yes you can pack it slack.
I have recently bought one of these for BA (Also easyjet and jet2)
https://www.antler.co.uk/cabin-luggage/marcus-siro-cabin-suitcase-56x45x25cm-red it keeps the shape better for the cage.
I was also eyeing up a man bag (patagonia mini messenger 12l) for the 2nd carry on bag but thought better of it!
ski holidays
WASHOUT wrote:
@GlasgowCyclops agree that bags are good bit of kits but I have seen a few arsey airport boarding staff that would pick that bag out to fit in the cage without encouraging it in, yes you can pack it slack.
I have recently bought one of these for BA (Also easyjet and jet2)
https://www.antler.co.uk/cabin-luggage/marcus-siro-cabin-suitcase-56x45x25cm-red it keeps the shape better for the cage.
I was also eyeing up a man bag (patagonia mini messenger 12l) for the 2nd carry on bag but thought better of it!

I've never had a problem. However, I usually fly business class (using my airmiles) with BA and as a Gold card holder you tend to never get questioned or get eh under the seat tags.

The one I previously used (took my boots to the shop to make sure they fitted) was a samsonite cabin bag.

The previous model of this one.
https://www.samsonite.co.uk/duosphere-upright-expandable-length-40cm-55cm--black/92973-1041.html?cgid=SAMS011#prefn1=customAirlineReferences&prefv1=BRIT&start=1&cgid=SAMS011

But now I only use the Rab
ski holidays
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
@Russ, If your skis get lost then you can always rent. If you lose your boots then it is a pain. So I use this for my boots.

https://rab.equipment/uk/kitbag-50
The great thing about it is the ruck sac shoulder straps. ...

I use one of those too. Boots & helmet fit in no problem, plus a ton of other stuff. Entirely legal all the way, and usable for any sport (just passed through three airports with mine yesterday).
I don't use the shoulder straps, the built-in handles can work the same way and save weight/hassle.

Other companies build similar bags which do the same job of course.
snow report
I take all my own stuff. I have a Db ski bag and its great. I fill it to the max weight, usually 50lbs/22kg. They don't care if you have clothes in there. Lately been putting my boots in there rather than my usual practice of carrying them on. They're huge, don't meet anyone's carry-on specs and I'd rather carry on some other stuff so that when they lose that ski bag, like last time, I have something to wear etc. (Yeah, the rental boots sucked, of course! But just for one day)
snow conditions
@Russ, consider taking helmet hand luggage as I’ve had one crack in the past when packed in a double ski bar. Looked like they dropped the bag and helmet took brunt of the force. I strap it to the outside of my rucksack and never had an issue.
ski holidays
Quote:

@Russ, consider taking helmet hand luggage

Excellent advice.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy