Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How to avoid FIS race piste closure (in Wengen, in January)

Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone know how long race pistes are closed to the public either side of an FIS race weekend? I'm thinking specifically Wengen in January.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 28-10-18 21:12; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Swiss Toby, maybe pop that information into the thread title? I thought you were referring to the cancellation of the Solden GS this morning...

My limited experience is that Courses close the day before for prep and practice. But are open as normal the day after.

Wengen is a bit funny I understand as it’s a bit marginal (I am led to believe) on safety.

Maybe google Lauberhorn timetable 2018? To see what happened last year?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
under a new name wrote:
@Swiss Toby, maybe pop that information into the thread title? I thought you were referring to the cancellation of the Solden GS this morning...

My limited experience is that Courses close the day before for prep and practice. But are open as normal the day after.

Wengen is a bit funny I understand as it’s a bit marginal (I am led to believe) on safety.

Maybe google Lauberhorn timetable 2018? To see what happened last year?

Good point about the thread title, I'll change it. Little Angel
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Feck it. Let me google it for you.

http://www.lauberhorn.ch/en/Rennen/Programm/Progam

DO NOT MISS THE PATROUILLE SUISSE. Awesome. Especially if Swiss want to show off a new 787/380/etc. floating at terrain incursion distance while having little fighter jets pirouette off its winglets.

Oh and I guess that means the race course is closed all week.

I assume you mean the Lauberhorn?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@under a new name, Thanks you've answered everything, while I'm still trying to work out how to edit the thread title. Embarassed

Yes, Lauberhorn. I love that run so don't want to go there when I'm not allowed on it. Watching dangerous flying would be secondary. Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Swiss Toby, umm, go anyway and ski the Inferno course while no-one else is interested?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@under a new name, That's an idea too, although being January I'm not sure how coverage would be. I'd be surprised if you could get down to the valley that early but I've never been there in Jan so I'm only guessing.

Still can't work out how to change thread title on iPad so dont be offended if I just delete it to save confusion with Solden. Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The Lauberhorn run will be closed for practice from the Tuesday before the race. Plus, all the TV towers etc have to be built and they don’t want us punters whizzing by while that’s going on. Dismantling everything after the race takes 3 or 4 days. The upper part of the course normally reopens very quickly, but the lower section down towards Innerwengen takes a few days. Also worth bearing in mind that unless we get fresh snow after the race the conditions underfoot can be a bit 'interesting'.

Our pub quiz team is called 'Don’t ski to Mary's' (Mary’s cafe is at the bottom of the course). I came up with the name after skiing the course a bit too soon after the race while it was still sheet ice.

Having said all that, it’s a great week to be skiing in Wengen. Most of the resort accommodation is taken up by race teams and media, so the slopes are quiet.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
telford_mike wrote:
Having said all that, it’s a great week to be skiing in Wengen. Most of the resort accommodation is taken up by race teams and media, so the slopes are quiet.

That's another good point, thanks. I can live without a race-prepared piste in January though. Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
And @telford_mike, would know! Happy

Winteregg to Lauterbrunnen seems to be open every 6 years or so. I think in 20 years of Infernos I've done 2 full courses with a missed year. I will be missing next year due to a schedule conflict and probably it'll be full course... Embarassed
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Skied a FIS women's downhill course in Crans Montana, Switzerland, ~1hr after the podiums ended.

The slope was totally sheet-ice. Good to get up some speed.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
under a new name wrote:
And @telford_mike, would know! Happy

Winteregg to Lauterbrunnen seems to be open every 6 years or so. I think in 20 years of Infernos I've done 2 full courses with a missed year. I will be missing next year due to a schedule conflict and probably it'll be full course... Embarassed

I'm impressed that the idea of extended suffering is something you yearn for. Laughing I for one will settle for perfect pistes and lush powder, all pointing more or less downhill. Little Angel
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Can't imagine anyone wanting to get on an FIS downhill course until it's had a lot of new snow. I've been on one a week+ after racing and it was frikkin lethal.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Swiss Toby, Go to you first post, click on edit and you can then alter the thread title. Cool
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
St anton had the women’s FIS a few years back while we were there
It took out most of nasserein for the whole week

When we finally got to ski (ha ha) on it, it was just a massive pile of people on the front and bums after falling on their first turn and sliding all the way down
snow conditions
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Can't imagine anyone wanting to get on an FIS downhill course until it's had a lot of new snow. I've been on one a week+ after racing and it was frikkin lethal.

Indeed. I skied across parts of the St Anton downhill course days after the 2004 race. The ice was impenetrable to edges controlled by mere mortals. There is no way I am going near the Eisfall (St Anton) after the women’s races in January until there has been decent new snow.
snow report
chocksaway wrote:
@Swiss Toby, Go to you first post, click on edit and you can then alter the thread title. Cool

Thank you, sorry for misleading anyone. Blush
latest report
On the first of the new PSBs a couple years ago, there was a GS or Super G going on in Val d'Isere when we arrived. Two or three days later they opened the piste to mere mortals and it was absolutely fantastic. I think the piste was Olympic or possibly Orange. It had had no new snow since the race but was an absolute blast. But it was not a downhill course, I imagine La Face straight after a race would be suicidal. Shocked
snow report
@Dave of the Marmottes, Agree, I went down the Lauberhorn one Sun am after the race. Very interesting sheet ice, especially as the Hundshopf was still in the race jump configuration.
The Swiss army have an impressive water injection rig and work their way down the course injecting every 10cm or so.
Last year I skied down to Lauterbrunnen once in 13 weeks. Not yet signed up for Inferno and will decide on Friday before and only if blues skies and top to bottom.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy