Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

10 of the best

Poster: A snowHead
small and affordable ski resorts in Europe

Only one I've been to is La Norma for which the write up is pretty accurate.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Been to Pohorje/Maribor, but that was mountainbiking. That was a few years ago, just after they built a new main gondola after the ancient one fell over. I'd have mentioned the cake hotel, but it's not on the mountain, but on the main road in to the city.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Valfrejus which happens to be just down the road from La norma,

Just under £500 for a week (including everything), 80 ish km of amazing different types of skiing, inc some pretty cool tree off piste stuff.

Great place
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Most of which involve long transfers or tricky airports?

Journalists, eh?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Perhaps admin might start an 'Explorer's Bash', one week a season in some of these wee gems.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Those smaller stations get skied out in a day or two. They are tiny.

If SH does an Explorers' Bash, it will probably have to be at least 2 resorts per week.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
under a new name wrote:

Journalists, eh?

Hmmmm flew to Turin from Gatwick ( Not tricky), picked up a hire car in Turin airport ( approx 20 mins ), drove to the resort in 1.30 i think ( Defo not tricky).

Was in the UK at 9 am skiing by 1400 absolutely not tricky
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I guess Innsbruck (an hour to Niederau) and Graz (an hour to Maribor) are "tricky" in that they're not as big as Geneva, Zurich, etc. and don't have as many flights. So that's at least 2 of the 10 that are ca. 1 hour, mostly autobahn the whole way, with no tricky mountain ascents on snow either.

I'd have added some others that are on my To Do list - Jasna, Slovakia and Bregenzerwald. Or maybe some of these need to be kept a secret?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
under a new name wrote:

Journalists, eh?

#1 It was actually compiled from readers tips so whilst there is some editorial aspect on the content ultimately these ideas came from members of the public. It even gives the Christian name of each suggestion.

#2 It is a list of "small and affordable" not easy to get to and it does also say in the sub-heading "Less-obvious locations".
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
under a new name wrote:

Journalists, eh?

I wrote the Madesimo winning 'tip'.

2 1/2 hrs by car from Milan Malpensa was neither long nor tricky IMHO.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Whitegold wrote:
Those smaller stations get skied out in a day or two. They are tiny.

If SH does an Explorers' Bash, it will probably have to be at least 2 resorts per week.

I take it you've never been to Madesimo.

If you have the requisite skills there's more than enough terrain for a season at least.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Mon 22-10-18 15:02; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Layne wrote:
under a new name wrote:

Journalists, eh?

#1 It was actually compiled from readers tips so whilst there is some editorial aspect on the content ultimately these ideas came from members of the public. It even gives the Christian name of each suggestion.

#2 It is a list of "small and affordable" not easy to get to and it does also say in the sub-heading "Less-obvious locations".

I wrote the Madesimo tip.

Nothing was changed from my submission.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Fame at last @Mike Pow!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Layne wrote:
Fame at last @Mike Pow!

Vouchers at least! Wink Smile
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Mike Pow, can you access Madesimo in winter from the Suise side (by road)?
Edited (small screen/fat fingers)

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Mon 22-10-18 17:00; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Madesimo is the closest resort to our house on Como, I probably (definitely) don't go as often as I should...
snow report
mooney058 wrote:

Not sure. Don't think so.

Via St Moritz road (SS37) yes.
latest report
homers double wrote:
Madesimo is the closest resort to our house on Como

You do realise that you are now one of the most hated people on this forum . . . "our house on Como" Evil or Very Mad

You'd have been in real trouble if you'd said 'our estate on Como' wink . . . Or is 'homers double' really 'George's double' Confused
ski holidays
What's Madesimo like with kids? Is the ski school ok?
ski holidays
FrediKanoute wrote:

Didn't use it - no kids - but from what I saw it was very good. Easy access, drop off & pick up.
latest report
Masque wrote:
homers double wrote:
Madesimo is the closest resort to our house on Como

You do realise that you are now one of the most hated people on this forum . . . "our house on Como" Evil or Very Mad

You'd have been in real trouble if you'd said 'our estate on Como' wink . . . Or is 'homers double' really 'George's double' Confused

I'm not usually for for saying "oooo our chalet here or there" but this is just a sad fact that I don't make the effort to get up there enough even though it's about an hour twenty door to the first lift at Corti.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 23-10-18 13:26; edited 1 time in total
snow report
I'm now thinking of taking my kids (well 21 and 18 and skied since they were about 4) there on a shortish break next season.

Is there much obvious lift served stuff, or would I be better with a guide for a day to get the feel for the place?

Cheers
snow report
Madesimo? Really easy to get around assuming you can read a piste map. You'll probably ski it all in in a couple of days at the most.

There's a hire shop at the base of the funicular which takes you from the valley bottom up to the first chair. This is at Corti but the main village is a little way up the valley of you want to be central.
latest report
homers double wrote:

this is just a sad fact that I don't make the effort to get up there enough even though it's about an hour twenty door to the first lift at Corti.

That's not the kind of endorsement one would expect of a "top 10" mountain, if people living nearby don't go there... Puzzled
snow report
I don't live there.
latest report
homers double wrote:
Madesimo is the closest resort to our house on Como, I probably (definitely) don't go as often as I should...

Where do you ski from Como? Or is your Como place a summer thing?
ski holidays
Mostly a summer place as its pretty dead in winter. The house is just outside Menaggio in a small gated complex in the hills so unless there's loads of us to make the entertainment it's like being stuck out on a limb.
latest report
Mosha Marc wrote:
I'm now thinking of taking my kids (well 21 and 18 and skied since they were about 4) there on a shortish break next season.

Is there much obvious lift served stuff, or would I be better with a guide for a day to get the feel for the place?

Cheers

Loads.

And even more with a guide.

TR here
Scroll down for Madesimo section
No pics but has vids
And vids from YouTube of the off-piste
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=131459

Pics here
https://www.facebook.com/mike.richards.927/media_set?set=a.10155176152418624&type=3
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
homers double wrote:
Mostly a summer place as its pretty dead in winter. The house is just outside Menaggio in a small gated complex in the hills so unless there's loads of us to make the entertainment it's like being stuck out on a limb.

Very nice. Understand re winter.
snow report
@Mike Pow, thanks. I shall get on with the planning Cool
snow conditions
Case in point from last night.

Me: Shall we fly out on the 19th for a few days skiing at Madesimo?
Mrs: What just before Christmas?
Me: Yes!
Mrs: I'm busy, no.
snow conditions
Madesimo looks very appealing.

Girlfriend is a complete beginner, so wouldn't need anywhere massive.

Flights in mid Jan Bristol to Bergamo with Ryanair for £26 return plus a bag! Definitely be remembering this for the future.
snow conditions
homers double wrote:
Case in point from last night.

Me: Shall we fly out on the 19th for a few days skiing at Madesimo?
Mrs: What just before Christmas?
Me: Yes!
Mrs: I'm busy, no.

You: that's ok I'll just book the one flight then 😂
snow report
Driving that route is easy, stick to the eastern shore of Como and you'll bypass all of the slow roads and cover the entire lake in about half an hour then up the valley at the top!

Beware though, there are (or were) major roadworks on the Spluga pass resulting in a 15-30 minute wait at traffic lights.
snow report
La Norma and Val Frejus, mentioned at the start of the thread, are two of the resorts in the Haute Maurienne valley. The Largest is Val Cenis. There is a lift ticket which allows you to do a day each at the various resorts (perhaps 2 in Val Cenis). But you'd need transport, realistically. I've done it several times. Some good off piste but you need a guide.
snow conditions
Mike Pow wrote:
FrediKanoute wrote:

Didn't use it - no kids - but from what I saw it was very good. Easy access, drop off & pick up.

Excellent with good speaking English instructors
snow report
homers double wrote:
Madesimo? Really easy to get around assuming you can read a piste map. You'll probably ski it all in in a couple of days at the most.

There's a hire shop at the base of the funicular which takes you from the valley bottom up to the first chair. This is at Corti but the main village is a little way up the valley of you want to be central.

The hire shop and funicular is at Campodolicino thats being referred to and takes you up to Motta at the edge of the ski area - its to save the Milanese driving up the mountain to the village of Madesimo for a days skiing
or for those that have properties around Lake Como its just an easier option,but for a holiday you would stay up in Madesimo village

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 1-11-18 20:16; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Mike Pow wrote:
mooney058 wrote:

Not sure. Don't think so.

Via St Moritz road (SS37) yes.

The Spluga pass is closed in Winter which is the direct pass to Madesimo from the SWISS side
alternative to this from the Swiss side is the Maloja Pass this skirts St Moritz then down to Chiavenna then up to Madesimo
snow report
I said “most” not “all”.

So Madesimo, is 1 out of the 10...

Nothing like getting your reading public to do your job, eh?

And with my 45 minute commute to Chamonix (admittedly an hour if from airport), 2 1/2 hours is a bit long, tbh.
snow conditions
snowball wrote:
La Norma and Val Frejus, mentioned at the start of the thread, are two of the resorts in the Haute Maurienne valley. The Largest is Val Cenis. There is a lift ticket which allows you to do a day each at the various resorts (perhaps 2 in Val Cenis). But you'd need transport, realistically. I've done it several times. Some good off piste but you need a guide.

Termignon which is in the article is now linked to Val Cenis, though the link isn't the best, basically a very gentle but rather long road .
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy