Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Any developers about?

Poster: A snowHead
As described really, i've got a project that i've been working on for a year or so, branding, graphics and plenty of ideas some limited development work on my side but thinking that a partner will be the best way to get an endeavour such as this off the ground. Ideally senior developer with an architecture twist focussed on mobile and cloud!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What sort of skills/languages?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
martinm wrote:

I think the first step is to look at how we can move quickly to market, then deliver architectural improvements.

So an understanding of how not to engineer into a corner
Understanding of cloud, how to use it and what the best choices are
Bringing an alpha or beta to market through agile methodologies

Languages currently open to options, initially thinking Objective c# maybe Xamarind, web / backend again up for debate, .NET / LAMP / Python.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
So just a mobile app, not web? Go Xamanrin and you'll get Android as well for not much extra.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
martinm wrote:
So just a mobile app, not web? Go Xamanrin and you'll get Android as well for not much extra.

Mobile i guess is the primary use case and the key to market, web will be a later phase with a number of API's into various services. I was thinking Xamanrin, then if it requires go native for a V2 / V3 experience (assuming it takes off) Little Angel

What's your skillset Martin?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
parallel or snowplough?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Not C# Smile

All sorts really including Google compute stuff and linux.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
martinm wrote:
Not C# Smile

Anything in the mobile / data space?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Levi215 wrote:
martinm wrote:

I think the first step is to look at how we can move quickly to market, then deliver architectural improvements.

Languages currently open to options, initially thinking Objective c# maybe Xamarind, web / backend again up for debate, .NET / LAMP / Python.

You must be a manager.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Levi215 wrote:
martinm wrote:

Have you thought about how you can leverage synergies?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Levi215 wrote:
martinm wrote:
Not C# Smile

Anything in the mobile / data space?

No mobile, but plenty of Postgres and other databases.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
davidof wrote:
Levi215 wrote:
martinm wrote:

Have you thought about how you can leverage synergies?

Laughing
Harsh!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Are you planning to monetise this by having users pay for an App from an App store (and therefore give a decent chunk of that cash to Apple)? Is it important for the user to be able to use the "App" while not connected to the internet?

If not then consider a responsive (but mobile focused) website instead of a native or hybrid app - would make the move to a "normal website" later a little easier.
Also means you can develop the initial version in fairly common (and easy to test) free technologies. E.g. Angular for the UI, .Net for APIs/Services/"code", and whatever (SQL?) database takes your fancy. You should be able to get this "hosted" at pretty low cost (for an initial version with low user volumes).

If you're going to take some form of payment then 100% offload this to another (trusted) service/provider. I would say you would want to store as little data as possible, and definitely not anything that's payment related or "personally identifiable" (or GDPR regulations come into force). Might also be worth thinking about security from day 1/ e.g. use SSL certificates on websites, encrypt traffic in transit and at rest (if appropriate)

Good luck with whatever you're doing!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
AL9000 wrote:

Laughing
Harsh!

It's not all about leveraging synergies. You've got to grab the low hanging fruit by creating a holistic, disruptive application that's future ready, and allows for a paradigm shift in the beachhead market. I mean ... that goes without saying, right?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
zedzed_uk wrote:
... that goes without saying, right?

I wish it had.
snow conditions
https://www.bullshitbingo.net/cards/cowdoo/
snow report
Urgh

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 26-10-18 22:19; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
zedzed_uk wrote:
Are you planning to monetise this by having users pay for an App from an App store (and therefore give a decent chunk of that cash to Apple)? Is it important for the user to be able to use the "App" while not connected to the internet?

If not then consider a responsive (but mobile focused) website instead of a native or hybrid app - would make the move to a "normal website" later a little easier.
Also means you can develop the initial version in fairly common (and easy to test) free technologies. E.g. Angular for the UI, .Net for APIs/Services/"code", and whatever (SQL?) database takes your fancy. You should be able to get this "hosted" at pretty low cost (for an initial version with low user volumes).

If you're going to take some form of payment then 100% offload this to another (trusted) service/provider. I would say you would want to store as little data as possible, and definitely not anything that's payment related or "personally identifiable" (or GDPR regulations come into force). Might also be worth thinking about security from day 1/ e.g. use SSL certificates on websites, encrypt traffic in transit and at rest (if appropriate)

Good luck with whatever you're doing!

All required unfortunately :/
latest report
Why is this thread in Thr Piste?
snow conditions
achilles wrote:

As opposed to?
ski holidays
@Levi215, Après
latest report
"You've got to grab the low hanging fruit by creating a holistic, disruptive application that's future ready"

What a pity! I was going to say that.

You can't beat a bit of low hanging fruit grabbing on a ski forum! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
What this thread needs is some more blue-sky thinking.
latest report
Levi215 wrote:
achilles wrote:

As opposed to?

/dev/null
latest report
I get the worrying feeling that not all of these posts are tongue in cheek.
snow report
davidof wrote:
blue sky doesn't work with cloud. We need to be thinking out of the box, or even better, out of the tree.
Where's my bottle of whisky?
ski holidays
Steilhang wrote:
davidof wrote:
blue sky doesn't work with cloud.

True. I wonder what the 30,000' vision is? Has the OP organically identified the core competency of the candidate? This would be my powerpoint checklist before the kick-off

* efficiently benchmark high-quality intellectual capital
* assertively synthesize cross-media best practices
* objectively right-shore state of the art initiatives
* holistically expedite standardized paradigms
ski holidays
😶
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
davidof wrote:
Steilhang wrote:
davidof wrote:

True. I wonder what the 30,000' vision is? Has the OP organically identified the core competency of the candidate? This would be my powerpoint checklist before the kick-off

But does this all fit with the company DNA?
latest report
Haven't seen any mention of blockchain yet.
snow report
im just going for a sh*t
snow report
limegreen1 wrote:
im just going for a sh*t

Finally, an informative post on this thread. Very Happy
snow conditions
davidof wrote:
Steilhang wrote:
davidof wrote:

Inline is too difficult but yes I have a fair idea of the key skills / attitudes such a person would need. Or be to be a good fit.

Not sure how you benchmark ip?
Best practises are good but need to be adapted to fit the product or company in question. Not just wheeled out...
Right-shoring is key to get the right cultural mix in a team. For example I wouldn’t be looking to get someone from mid-Asia to start with.
Standardisation again good but needs to fit
latest report
rjs wrote:
Haven't seen any mention of blockchain yet.

I don’t need a blockchain for it
latest report
Ideas are ten a penny. If you’re serious about your project then you need to pay to get a developer onboard..

Any “senior” dev worth their salt will turn you down unless you’re paying for their time. Sorry to be so blunt, but you’re going to get cowboys and a pile of unmaintainable sh*t unless you get a decent dev/team onboard - I’ve seen it time and time again.
ski holidays
marksymoo wrote:
Ideas are ten a penny. If you’re serious about your project then you need to pay to get a developer onboard..

Any “senior” dev worth their salt will turn you down unless you’re paying for their time. Sorry to be so blunt, but you’re going to get cowboys and a pile of unmaintainable sh*t unless you get a decent dev/team onboard - I’ve seen it time and time again.

Yep fully aware of that and wasn't looking for a freebie. I've got a number of mates who i've approached with some kind of equity option, i've done Freelancer but got some dross out of it. A friend of mine who has used Freelancer / Upwork quite a bit reckons you need to hire 10 people before you get a decent one.... I'd rather have someone interested in the subject (i.e. snow / ski) than some randomer, but maybe i need to start with the randomer and see what happens.
latest report
The thing is that good developers have got plenty of options. The problem with your approach is that you don’t seem to realise that the onus is on you to make it clear why anyone should chance it on your idea.

Now obviously if it’s a really great idea maybe you don’t want to share everything on the internet so I think you’d be better off going along to some meetups and make some connections, establish some credibility. I’m sure you’ll find some sliders amongst them. snowHead
ski holidays
Levi215 wrote:
marksymoo wrote:

Yep fully aware of that and wasn't looking for a freebie. I've got a number of mates who i've approached with some kind of equity option, i've done Freelancer but got some dross out of it. A friend of mine who has used Freelancer / Upwork quite a bit reckons you need to hire 10 people before you get a decent one.... I'd rather have someone interested in the subject (i.e. snow / ski) than some randomer, but maybe i need to start with the randomer and see what happens.

Respectfully disagree - I’m a software engineer, have done the working for someone whilst doing freelance work, running my own business and recently have completed my first pitch for investment (background info for clarity). I’ve worked on numerous products and projects that do not align with my hobbies... each time when given the correct resource (spec & input needed) I’ve delivered the product (solo & team based).

Dimitri got it in one, you’re the sales person pitching to gain interest from the right person/team. The software industry in the U.K. is in the developer/engineers market now... there’s more jobs than there are jobs - which makes it hard for employers to attract the right type of dev/eng Smile great for us lot though, as salaries have spiked hugely in the past year.

You probably want to start with getting some freelancers in to get you a pilot up and running. Going with a true MVP you may not need any software writing to see if your idea is going to be a success by your metrics. You’d be better off spending a couple of thousand now, rather than going down the cheaper route and wasting a hell of a lot more in terms of time, stress and money overall.

Believe me, I’ve been part of a unit where we cheaped out in the past and spent over £1.2m in salaries for an office of developers, BAs and testers - compared to £20k upfront for licenses for software that did what we built. It was the software vendor’s bread and butter and they had years of expertise in this particular area... rather than being allowed to spend the money, the CEO forced our hand and we built said components along with our core product which ultimately failed due to performance issues. I’m sure the story can be the same for whatever industry you could target, but after 11 odd years of doing it on the cheap in various software houses I decided to take the jump and do it for myself, despite now working for a good tech company. We’ll certainly buy when we need to, and build when appropriate Smile - this may be relevant to you.. if two or more independent systems can perform what you’re setting out to do, why not try and glue them together with some sort do automation and measure your success goals on that... if it works, iterate and build your true pilot, but get it into users hands ASAFP (f being forking Wink).

We had the same story when pitching to write some software for this sector, the board being old school didn’t understand the value and blew us off - completely fine from our POV as we were prepared to lose the deal rather than change our pricing model (topic for discussion perhaps one day at a snowheads event Neh Neh) - said company now has lost staff and we’ve recently heard they’re approaching software houses who are quite for development costs for delivering the software as a product, rather than how we were modelling the pricing. Kind of feel a tad smug at this point, but thankfully staying true to our values and approach as above (MVP... user testing and pivot when it doesn’t work, along with how we price) is looking now like it’s starting to pay off.

Waffling now, so cutting it off now before I go into full rant mode regarding value/buy vs build/crappy developers Laughing
snow report
Blimey that was a bit of a whinge... hopefully not to be received in the wrong light Smile
snow report
What Dmitri said. I doubt anyone's been successful doing it the way you describe. I'd try to meet technical people locally and work it from there.

You must be a manager. .... This would be my powerpoint checklist before the kick-off
wink You just failed the programming test:
  • you didn't use the correct markup for your list
  • some managers are also technically competent
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy