Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Removing vaseline from ski bases

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, I've totally goofed and applied vaseline to both the edges and bases of my girlfriends skies - I think it's important I mention a girlfriend before the local wits get going Smile Anyhows I did this yesterday and now I'm thinking I need to get the vaseline off the ski bases asap and do a proper wax job. Would using Meths, turpentine or maybe petrol dissolve the vaseline without damaging the skis any futher - (almost) any other suggestions welcomed.
Would I be better off waiting until winter and letting a ski shop sort this ? I bought all the waxing kit last season but I'm no expert on using it.
TIA
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Can I ask why you were lubing up your skis? Was it an attempt to shortcut the ballache of waxing?

I'd have thought that just repetitive rubbing down with a cloth would get rid of most of it. Then brass brush and a hot scrape.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
fair question, I started applying vaseline to edges with the intention of waxing in a few days when I'd retrieved my 'ski gear' from storage but the girlfriend was keen to get skis packed away [it is august after all !-] so in haste I thought the vaseline would stop the drying out that was already visible on the bases.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You can get wax removing liquid.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
mopi, what a stupid thing to do!

You need to remove the vaseline as quickly as possible as any absorbed in to the base is very difficult to get out, even with repeated hot scrape cleans.

Scrape off the excess then liberally apply citrus base cleaner de-waxer & leave for 5 mins before scraping again. Don't use a petroluem based solvent or an acetone based solvent. Then hot scrape clean with a soft warm temp yellow wax. Repeat hot scrape clean if necessary.

If the base is not clear/clean after 3 hot scrape cleans (ie dull/dry with no 'greasy' areas) then its hefty base grind time.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@mopi, and for heaven's sake don't listen to the girlfriend again wink and go and visit @spyderjon, for a lesson in how to use all of that kit.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Buy her some new skis!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
maggi wrote:
Buy her some new skis!

There's a good chance that'll be the outcome Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hmmmm. . . was there a bit of muttering on the path of "I need new skis" or perhaps "these are the wrong colour" before she suggested you smear napalm grade plastic dissolver onto the bases . . .

Or was this just your own personal brainfart?

Do everything spyderjon says above, then buy her new skis anyway rolling eyes sheesh, numpty think - numpty does
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Hells Bells, don't think it was her suggestion, just her skis!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Does Acetone effect the Ptex structure if its used on sintered or std bases ?

I know a house Irons fluctuating temps can spike and melt the ptex pores ability to absorb wax .

Do these strong solvents such as Acetone do something similar as they will melt top sheets and some sidewalls ie certain plastics ?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Tirol 164, acetone should always be used with extreme caution.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@spyderjon, what happens if you don't get it all out?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@mopi, just wanted to say thanks for the most entertaining thread on here all summer Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@SnoodlesMcFlude, I think she wanted the skis out of the way though?
snow conditions
@Hells Bells, true, but I don't think she's the villain of the piece Very Happy
ski holidays
I am genuinely curious and have no idea about how skis are normally cared for, but what would be wrong with removing Vaseline with hot water and detergent before re-treating them? Puzzled If this seems like a really stupid question please be relatively polite in saying so Laughing
ski holidays
The petroleum oil or grease from the vasilene gets down deep into the Ptex pores similar to melted wax does .

Its not going to wash out easily .
ski holidays
@Tirol 164, OK, thanks.
snow conditions
OK here's the story so far. @Gamsbock is amused, @spyderjon is not impressed and @mostpeople think I'm going to have to shell out for new skis. Thing is the skis were bought 9 months ago and have less than three weeks on the clock also they are about 600 quids worth so not keen on 'buy new pair' suggestion. No one asked how much vaseline I used but given the pocket tin size is 20g I'd guess about 2g per ski. Good news is I think I have a result. Here's the path to salvation.
Hand rub with concentrated lime juice, wait 3 minutes and wipe clean. repeat.
Remove vaseline from edges.
Hand rub with jiff lemon juice, wait 3 minutes and wipe clean. repeat.
Clean with datawax citrus based base cleaner, lightly rub in with nylon scourer, wipe clean.
Hot wax (yellow), wait, scrape, brush with tough nylon brush.
Clean with datawax citrus based base cleaner, lightly rub in with nylon scourer, wipe clean.
Inspect, looks good to eye, feels good too.
Hot wax (yellow), wait, store in attic.
Dyson living room (she's away today Happy

Notes: lemon is better than lime at shifting vaseline but I was low on lemon juice. I would have tried Isopropyl Alcohol but I cannot find my stash, I think she dumped it in a previous clear out. I'm a lot better at waxing and scraping then I was.

Only a run on the slope will tell if I'll have to flash the VISA card but that's a lot of work to (hopefully) clean up a couple of gs of jelly. I'll try remember to update after next ski trip. Thanks for suggestions and happy to amuse.
snow report
@mopi, great post, made me literally LOL! Laughing
ski holidays
She'll never notice unless you show her this thread. Pretty sure my skis have has worse on them over time including a memorable time when they refreshingly bathed in some pumice stone shower gel courtesy of a single hold bag policy.
snow conditions
@mopi, When you say the "Hot wax (yellow), wait, scrape" etc that implies to me that you've let the wax cool before scraping? If so, then all you've done is apply wax over the vaseline in the base which would mean boogerall absorption.

You need to perform a hot scrape clean which means scraping off the wax whilst still hot/molten to pull the contaminants out of the 'open' base. As with regular hot waxing, make sure you iron in the wax until the top sheet just down from the ski tips are warm (but not hot) to the touch.
ski holidays
Goodness me, I had no idea that life as a ski was so complex. I first skied in '63 or '64 with the old cable bindings etc but still after all these years rely on the bloke in the shop or OH to sort out my bases and edges. I did contribute an iron many years ago. Good luck @mopi, hopefully the limes were not an integral part of a supper dish she had planned
snow report
@mopi, "lime juice"

Wtf?

Given the parlous state of much of the snow skis hit in a regular day...

I think you should rename yourself "precious_mopi"... rolling eyes rolling eyes
snow report
Quote:

Thing is the skis were bought 9 months ago and have less than three weeks on the clock also they are about 600 quids worth

Should now read ...........................they WERE about 600 quids worth.
snow report
So the story so far is basically:

- Man rubs vaseline into ski bases (why oh why oh why, everyone asks)

- Man then seals vaseline into ski using wax

- Man then rubs lime juice into ski bases and tells the world that this is a fix-all solution

- The internet responds by making Puzzled faces and faceplanting their keyboards.
snow conditions
@dp, I'm just hoping he doesnt get his vaseline and wax mixed up in future as maturbation won't be much fun...... and let's be honest after wrecking his better halves £600 skis, self satisfaction is the best he can hope for Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Okay, daft question time. I've read a lot about waxing and the need to soak the wax deep into the bases, but why? Surely it's only the wax on the surface that can effect how the ski runs on the snow?
snow report
@Valkyrie, take a look at this doc - especially section 4.
https://www.dominatorwax.com/sites/default/files/dominator/wax-science-demystified.pdf
snow conditions
Valkyrie wrote:
Okay, daft question time. I've read a lot about waxing and the need to soak the wax deep into the bases, but why? Surely it's only the wax on the surface that can effect how the ski runs on the snow?

Wax on the surface will be scraped off quickly. Snow... especially the icy stuff, is just mile upon mile of sandpaper.
snow report
PaulC1984 wrote:
@dp, I'm just hoping he doesnt get his vaseline and wax mixed up in future as maturbation won't be much fun...... and let's be honest after wrecking his better halves £600 skis, self satisfaction is the best he can hope for Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

I can only assume that this is the thought which came to mind because you've already tried it.

Did you drip it on hot?
latest report
Oh God, let that image be erased from my mind!
snow conditions
@dp, So long as he doesn't try to finish it with the brass brush...
latest report
Nnnggghhhhhh
snow report
From Tubaski's link

"...As technology evolved and aluminum skis and skis with cellulosic plastic bases became available, the need for the sealant part of the formula disappeared and the transition was made to straight lubricants. Petroleum-derived waxes and petrolatum (VASELINE) were the main components.."

Puzzled
ski holidays
You could get a job with the Huffington post taking the point out of context not telling the whole story

Polyethylene bases from the 1950s on used petroleum derived wax is how I read it.

How many on here are retro 1950 skiers still using 1950,s kit?
latest report
Point taken - but it would seem that Vaseline on a ski base isn't the total disaster being portrayed in this thread..
snow report
Tirol 164 wrote:
......Polyethylene bases from the 1950s on used petroleum derived wax is how I read it......

That's correct.

That Dominator educational paper is excellent.

albob wrote:
Point taken - but it would seem that Vaseline on a ski base isn't the total disaster being portrayed in this thread..

It is actually a problem as Vaseline is so close in make-up to the polyethylene base material that it just wants to stick to/in it & stay there (it's like it's 'come home'), thus blocking future wax penetration.
snow conditions
Get down to your nearest Dendix dry slope. That should give them a good clean out!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy