Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Italian half term

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Do Italian schools even have a half term? If not, then what are the significant determiners for Italian-slope-busyness during February? Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I don't think they do, but many like to ski on weekends.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=133261

No but they go a bit mad during Mardi Gras / Fasching / Shrove Tuesday - particularly in Piedmont IIRC.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's a mystery.

Last year I checked loads of sites including local govt websites before booking a half term holiday in Champoluc. The conventional wisdom and all the evidence pointed to the conclusion that the Italians don't do half term. But on arrival the resort was heaving with Italian families, "Don't worry," the tour operator manager who's been there since the last ice age said, "They'll all be gone after the weekend and then we'll have the place to ourselves." Nothing could have been further from the truth.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Half term is a British thing. February/March school holidays in Europe are generally semester holidays, i.e. a break between the two semesters. For some that is a week or two weeks. In northern Italy it is officially two days, but often extended to a full week. It is normally Mardi Gras week, but that is very late this year so it will probably be the second or third week in February. Perhaps someone in Italy can confirm.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Last year Fasching / Carnivale coincided with the main UK half term so it was much busier than usual in Italy.

This year Pancake Tuesday is the 5th March (it's all part and parcel of the same thing, the start of Lent) so chances are that will be the busy week.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Holiday Calendar, is a sticky...

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=133261

Champoluc is now sufficiently popular with the Brits that Ski2 (not quite the only operator in the valley, but I am sure the biggest) (related to me on a chair last year or the year before by one of their staff) hire in 65 extra anglophone instructors for half term week. Which seems like an enormous number... maybe they're not full time?

Certainly Champoluc is quieter at New Year than anywhere I've been to in France.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
under a new name wrote:
hire in 65 extra anglophone instructors for half term week.

I had a lesson in St Anton one new year from an instructor who was a Dutch lawyer who did a few peak weeks' instruction every year. (He wasn't particularly good, cost an arm and a leg, and wore an airbag all day which he said made it safer for him; in retrospect I wish I'd told him to take it off.)

Thanks for the sticky, I'd forgotten about that.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Given that Italian kids get 14 weeks holiday over the summer, they don’t really need a half term in February! They all go skiing at weekends and usually there is a ‘bridge’ between the weekend prior to Carnevale and the day itself (Shrove Tuesday).
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
My kids have a week off in early March but friends with children in other schools have long weekends and other weeks off.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
In the Dolomites if you’re not their for carnival it will be great. Last year carnival did coincide with half term and I was worried
But FRANCE busy and Italian busy are very very different things. And on the busiest slopes sometimes I had to wait nearly 5 mins
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
You mean 5 minutes isn’t a long wait??
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy