Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austrian Airlines baggage rules

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Morning all

We're flying with Austrian Airlines to Innsbruck next week. E-ticket states we're allowed 1 checked bag - but can we check in our ski boot bag as well, as long as our total allowance is under 20kg? We haven't booked ski carriage because we don't have skis, just boots, and when we've travelled with Crystal in the past we've had no problem checking in our hold luggage plus a boot bag each. But I'm a bit confused by the wording on the Austrian ticket, it makes it sound like we'd have to pack our boots in our hold bag too.

Thanks in advance!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If your ticket states "1 checked bag" as opposed to a weight allowance on its own, then it is 1 item only. If it says 1 x 20KG then this might apply:

"Please be sure to check the free baggage allowance on your ticket or booking confirmation. In such cases, the weight scheme may also be applied, which means that your baggage allowance is shown as a total weight regardless of the number of pieces, e.g. 20K (for 20 kg) or 30K (for 30 kg)".

You also have 1 x 8 KG Carry on bag and could take your boot bags on the plane as long as they don't exceed the dimensions.

Full details here: https://www.austrian.com/Info/Flying/Baggage.aspx
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Haven't checked it, but I would imagine that unless you've booked ski carriage (where they normally treat ski bag + boot bag as one piece), your boots will have to go in your normal hold bag or as hand luggage.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If it says "1 checked bag" you'll probably struggle if you have your ski boots in a separate bag. To be honest, you've probably been pretty lucky in the past, as it's the airlines and not Crystal that generally set the baggage rules.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Great, thanks guys!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
sugarmoma666 wrote:
If it says "1 checked bag" you'll probably struggle if you have your ski boots in a separate bag. To be honest, you've probably been pretty lucky in the past, as it's the airlines and not Crystal that generally set the baggage rules.

Not my experience - if you are flying charter as part of a package it is weight only being the restricted and you can take as many bag as you like.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
When we have flown Austrian in the past (as well as Swiss and Lufthansa from the same group) they have provided free ski equipment carridge in addition to 1 x hold luggage. Boots and skiis were in their own bags. Only catch being with Austrian to Innsbruck we had to book a place for our skibags by calling their customer service. I am told this is part of their process as they have smaller some planes that have limited space.

EDIT: suggest you ring Austrian customer service department for advice who are very helpful.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Not relevant for the OP but Just for info Austrian Air will now only accept single ski bags
Had a bit of huffing at check in last year pn way out with double bag but they took them
This year its on the e-ticket that they will not.
(Edinburgh - Innsbruck)

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sat 29-12-18 17:19; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
NickyJ wrote:
sugarmoma666 wrote:

Not my experience - if you are flying charter as part of a package it is weight only being the restricted and you can take as many bag as you like.

This is where it's always worth checking, as the flights included on several of the package holidays I've been on have been scheduled flights, so the airline rules have applied. It's quite a while since I flew on a charter flight.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy