Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Boots for "oldish" skier!!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Am retired now, have been ski-ing for more years than I can remember!
Need advice on some new boots please :
I ski mainly Reds, less vigorous than before, but in control.
Bought new blades last year but would now like some comfortable new boots.
Any advice most welcome.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Best thing to do is go to a ski shop and speak to a bootfitter. They'll look at your feet and make a recommendation.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We have experts who might disagree with me but I would suggest COMFORT is your prime target. So not too tight (but not too loose ) . Not a hard flex...say about 90. Easy to get into. 4 clips. And a personal custom insole. You must also like the colour.
All this should come out of the excellent advice from telford mike.

Blades ?? Do you mean those 3 ft long things that I wouldn't dare stand on.....or are you meaning proper skis ?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Solutions 4 Feet Ltd, The Studio & Old Wine Store, Gobles Court, 7 Market Square, Bicester, OX26 6AA
https://www.solutions4feet.com/ski-boot-main-menu
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Am retired now, have been ski-ing for more years than I can remember!

Also retired so had the time to research the most highly recommended fitters on Snowheads and then had time to make the 4hr+ journey for an 8:00 am appointment with one of them. Best time I ever spent to get the best fitting boots I have ever possessed. Comfortable is not the right word to describe their fit. Better to say that I don't notice I have boots on, they make me feel as though I have a direct connection with my skis.
Having the correct boots was doubly important for me as having Diabetes I have to be very careful about maintaining proper circulation.

Any one can fit you with comfortable boots, just give you a size or 2 too big. Only a good fitter can give you the right boot. Read the boot threads. there is lots of advice.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Farley Goode wrote:
......Not a hard flex...say about 90......

How can you say that without knowing the OP's height/weight?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I too took a long drive down to see Colin at Solutions 4 Feet in Bicester.

He measured my feet in quite a few ways, pondered for a few seconds then brought me back a pair of boots from his store room. He then vacuum packed my feet until they looked like the last chicken in the shop, did several things I dont understand and eventually produced boots which fit me ever so slightly too snug and are a full 1.5 sizes smaller than I would have chosen myself and 3 sizes smaller than any hire boots I've had. I anticipate that by the time I've broken them in after a few days skiing they will fit like slippers.

I wore them for an hour today whilst at home and they already fit better than any hire boot I've ever had the misfortune to encounter, despite being a little tight due to the brand new liners.

Haven't ski'd on them yet its fair to say, but I suspect I'll be just fine.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Martin & Ami, Remember, in a ski flex position they always feel slightly looser on the toes due to the heels pulling back. Wearing around the house just does not equate Smile
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Timc, Seconded. I've been type 1 for over 40 years and my boot fitter still manages to get me into race boots without any problem Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Scarpa wrote:
@Martin & Ami, Remember, in a ski flex position they always feel slightly looser on the toes due to the heels pulling back. Wearing around the house just does not equate Smile

This is true. The key is to wear them around the house in a ski position. My 3 year old son enquired "daddy, do you need the toilet".... Laughing

But no, it wont break them in, just gets me used to being clamped in, plus theres an ankle injury I'm dealing with so its about pressure testing etc etc
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Martin & Ami, Laughing Laughing Laughing To be honest it won't replicate skiing pressure at all. Just get out and ski em and then any pressure on the liners or shell quickly becomes evident, any pressure points can be blown out. And BTW, I'm past 50 so am not so young myself Cool
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I would tend to disagree with @Scarpa. I bought new boots from @skisimon at the Ski Exchange in Dry Drayton in the spring sales and broke them in by wearing them to do the ironing for several hours. When I skied in them for 3 hours at OkTest I forgot I had them on after 10 minutes and was so pleased with them I took @Wendyjh to @skisimon for new boots on Friday. I think that, for those of us without a mountain outside the door, wearing new boots in the house is a good idea.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hmmm, I think “don’t worry if they don’t feel comfortable round the house” is valid.

But both of my foamed liners took around 45 minutes, mostly spent riding lifts, before I thought I might tolerate them for the day...

Which would have been as well done at home.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy