Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing Before PistenBullys...

Poster: A snowHead
A poster on the Pyrenees thread today said he learnt to ski *before* snowbashers.

Boggles the mind.

Anyone here do the same?

It would probably be the period from the 1840s up to the 1970s.

Any cool tales out there?

snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Most of my local smaller ski areas aren't groomed. Which makes sense with NZ being at least 50 years behind the rest of the world in most things.

Just avoid if icy. Otherwise all good.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@hang11, 😂😂😂
with the main exception being rugby!!!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
This is the oldest I have to hand...
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Both pics show the PB out in the daytime.
This invokes fond memories of having to watch out for these on the pistes.
Nowadays in much of the PdS they do their doings under shadow of night, and is a rarity to see them strutting their stuff by day.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I love spotting the lights as they go up and down through the trees opposite our place in Les Carroz at night. Took me years to realise that they use a cable to haul them up and down the really steep slopes Shocked They have an open day in the summer when you can go in and look at them up close. Would not want to ski anywhere near one of those big beasts.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Boggles the mind.

I skied in Scotland from ~1974 up until around 1990 ... there was not so much piste bashing done.

In fact, I did 3 PdS seasons 1989/90/91 and many slopes esp. red and black were at best infrequently bashed.

Made for better skiers, as did long skinny skis!!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I can remember ski areas advertising the fact that all their pistes were bashed every night.

Espace Killy make a selling point of 'Naturide' pistes, that are not bashed.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Kenzie wrote:
I can remember ski areas advertising the fact that all their pistes were bashed every night.

That's one to avoid then
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm fairly sure that the Lecht got the first piste basher in Scotland.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I remember 'making' a Piste in Cyprus while serving with the RAF.... rolling eyes (mid 70's)

20 Bods stamping down the side of Mount Olympus to make a steeper section of Piste for the Inter-Services Championship..
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Continuing on from Albob, Frith Finlayson talks about side stepping a hill all day to create a piste. The event... The Swiss Ski School directors course 1959/60. I think it was Davos so no early machines around then.
FF, one of the founders of BASI.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@terrygasson, I thought Rugby was quite a nice place. Toofy Grin
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kenzie wrote:

Naturist pistes, could be popular but chilly. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I did a lot of my early learning in Scotland: not wholly unpisted but far from courderoy, generally rough under ski. Mr G also learn to board there. It teaches you a great many positive things, I think: balance, relaxation and not to fear uneven-ness, bumps and varying depths amongst them. Still ski Scotland and England; again, some might be PB'd but not to European/Alpine standards.
ski holidays
But there's always been piste bashers! Human ones!!! Very Happy

As more people exited the lift, they ski down the same route. Eventually, the piste got "bashed".

You can sometimes see that effect in the "access" part of popular off-piste routes that got a lot of traffic.
latest report
abc wrote:
... You can sometimes see that effect in the "access" part of popular off-piste routes that got a lot of traffic.

Anywhere you ride at a resort suffers from that - "resort powder" is good, but there's always a skier-pisted base down there, which you don't get if you go further afield.
ski holidays
@Rogerdodger, used to, as a child, have my boots rented for me from Mr Finlayson, a gentleman.
snow report
I have skied now and again with an ESF guy in Tignes (Louis) who is now in his late 70s. He told me of when he started his career as a young pisteur. To groom the piste he and all the other pisteurs would start at the top of the slope and stand across it in a line with their skis all tip to tail, and steadily tramp down it.

If you want to see some footage from even earlier days of skiing, track down the film "Der Weisse Rausch" (Arnold Fanck). It's on DVD and may still be on YouTube with Italian subtitles. Forget the corny story line but enjoy the skiing shots, filmed in the winter of 1929/30 (exactly the time my old mum was born, bless).
ski holidays
@bobski62, somewhat would have thought they’d side slip mind you that would scrape off snow.

Surprised they’d bother at all.
latest report
When I was ski-bumming in Colorado in '87 you could join a group at any of the Summit County bottom stations at 8am, and be taken up by ski patrol to spend 2 hours "boot-packing" (although with skis on) black runs, after which they handed you a day-pass! snowHead Presumably winch-grooming and liability fears have put paid to that Crying or Very sad .
snow report
Anyone familiar with using rope rows will probably have experience of flattening the snow manually either be stamping or rows of snowplough skiers. Lots of areas still don’t use piste bashers eg Raise and Allendale.
snow conditions
Quote:

Der Weisse Rausch

http://youtube.com/v/oao0O478zW4

Wonderful. It makes you realise that with all the developments in equipment there is no substitute for skill
snow conditions
@Peter S, is "Allendale" a ski resort? Twisted Evil
ski holidays
Ham wrote:
Kenzie wrote:

Naturist pistes, could be popular but chilly. Madeye-Smiley

To be seen when students are in resort.
snow report
johnE wrote:
Quote:

Der Weisse Rausch

http://youtube.com/v/oao0O478zW4

Wonderful. It makes you realise that with all the developments in equipment there is no substitute for skill

Absolutely fantastic!
Reminds me of Apocalypse Snow... but much better. Skillful skiing and cinematography, without a modern ski or gopro in sight!
Thanks for posting that Very Happy
latest report
under a new name wrote:
@Peter S, is "Allendale" a ski resort? Twisted Evil

Of course it is, it's the northern nursery slope Toofy Grin
snow conditions
"Liberate la Pista!!" -- stop the brutal grooming.....! Wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Whitegold wrote:
A poster on the Pyrenees thread today said he learnt to ski *before* snowbashers.

Boggles the mind.

Anyone here do the same?

Any cool tales out there?

My first skiing was on a school trip in the early 60s. Ungroomed slopes on wooden skis. Rope tow.
snow report
Sorry !
Meant Allenheads.
http://ski-allenheads.co.uk/
latest report
Here's an interesting Swiss ski instructional film from 1952 (pre snowbashers). Note the use of the Kandahar cable bindings (and leather boots of course). Smile https://www.facebook.com/isaski.org/videos/1845072265571370/UzpfSTEwMDAxMTY5ODY5NjU0ODoxMDk4MDcyNjEwMzcyNzcz/
ski holidays
I'm sure I used that T-bar in a Swiss resort last year... wink
snow report
Alastair Pink wrote:
Here's an interesting Swiss ski instructional film from 1952 (pre snowbashers). Note the use of the Kandahar cable bindings (and leather boots of course). Smile https://www.facebook.com/isaski.org/videos/1845072265571370/UzpfSTEwMDAxMTY5ODY5NjU0ODoxMDk4MDcyNjEwMzcyNzcz/

Great Film....what is interesting, is they did not use a Pole Plant to help with the Christie turns. I wonder when that came into being?

My first Bronze Badge was awarded at Saas Fee in 1972....and looked very like that triangular symbol at the end of the film.
latest report
Chamcham wrote:
I'm sure I used that T-bar in a Swiss resort last year... wink

Nowt wrong with T-bars (unless you've got a bit of a "stout" build and are sharing the T-bar with another similarly built snowHead snowHead ), ain't that right Frosty the Snowman? Toofy Grin
snow report
Great fun to be had following behind a piste basher laying fresh tracks at two in the afternoon. Like having your own magic carpet rolling out in front of you.
ski holidays
Quote:

Great fun to be had following behind a piste basher laying fresh tracks at two in the afternoon. Like having your own magic carpet rolling out in front of you

Don't you keep running into the back of it?
ski holidays
@johnE, not yet wink
latest report
I think I was the one who mentioned the ski-ing pre-bashers. Yes, it was the 1970s.

As well as the rutted ice, then slush every day (unless it snowed), the other thing was that moguls were never smoothed out, so anything of moderate steepenss or more got very moguly, until it next snowed, when there were moguls covered in powder.

Also, drag lifts got very rutted, which then froze overnight, making them quite fun the next morning.

Plus the old skis, boots, bindings etc, but that's another story.

Folk these days don't know they're born!
snow conditions
@dode,Take care not to follow it into the garage - could be awkward explaining in Franglais what exactly you were doing there wink
ski holidays
And yet there were people who could shred it in those awful conditions, in that gear. Impressive. I saw a clip of Didier Cuche wearing period clothes and gear, I believe the day after he retired. He was on the race course, and the best skier in the world or thereabouts could barely keep his feet. Doubtless the skating rink race course had plenty to do with that, but still it is baffling how they turned those things. Then there's rope tows....I miss rope tows, said no one!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy