Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing and the environment

Poster: A snowHead
Dear Friends,

I am currently completing a dissertation for university. Could you spare 6 minutes of your time to complete this online survey (about ski and environment).

Anyone who has been on a ski holiday before is able to complete the survey.

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/2D2V559

Thanks for your support and please do pass forward to your friends!

Georgia
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
done. didn't really understand question 22
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sorry far to many questions without context which I felt incapable of giving sensible answers to so I gave up.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Done. You might want to check your spelling before submitting it though.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sorry got bored halfway through.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Done. but agree with @T Bar,
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@T Bar, @adithorp, I whipped through it , although also felt it was too long.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I thought the questions were really well thought out. Far, far better than I would expect from a university student.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Done
Did get a wee bit confused!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
done
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Done. Though I didn't answer every question. eg Q20, I have no idea of the order of effect on the environment artificial snowmaking has compared to disturbance to wildlife, land use changes or use of energy. So there is no way I could list them in order. (unless you know the answer, and the aim of the question is to show how uninformed the public are?)
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I gave up as I no longer have ski holidays wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Done
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Am I right in reading into this as it is rather impact of envorinmental changes to ski industry (thus business focus) rather than ski industry’s impact on environment? If so, slightly disappointing ...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@GeorgiaB, did you not have an ethics statement to let us know what will happen to our data?
latest report
Gave up because too many of the questions I have no idea on the answers. Did you want opinions? Didn't really understand the way some of it was worded, e.g question 20.
latest report
I drove for 1/2hr in a car on my own, then took a 1/2 full plane for 2hrs followed by a full coach for 3.5hrs to get to my last ski holiday. Which box should I tick for that?
snow report
The way some of the questions were worded suggested that they had nothing to do with skiing (e.g. 20). I answered 22 but couldn't figure out whether it was asking me for ways to help the ski industry or ways to help the environment. Obviously enforcement of environmental regulations will help the environment (if they are well thought out) but regulation will generally impose a cost.
ski holidays
Done, and it took about 5 mins
For those who aren’t sure of an answer that isn’t the point just answer as best you can. Your answers in and off themselves are less important than the whole data. If you answer all in good faith even if you’re not sure that is helpful
ski holidays
whatever answers you give the fact remains that skiing is probably the most non enviromentally friendly thing you can do, from air pollutuon, cutting down trees for lifts and pistes, avalanche protection explosions disturbing wildlife, making new runs in a previously untouched landscape, and the huge amount of electricity used for snowmaking, and with more and more ski resorts being linked up theres no sign of it stopping.
ski holidays
imho just fill it in regardless unfortunately its quantity not quality with these things..

@GeorgiaB, Depending on her University will get a 2:1 at minimum Laughing https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/the-times-view-on-grade-inflation-british-universities-need-to-dispel-suspicions-7rnc3v86b
snow conditions
Yes unless you’re into ski touring the environmental footprint is enormous. Power and aggregate consumption is huge and probably large per user at many resorts. The main damage was caused during the big expansion years of the 1960s to the 1980s. We appear to be in a period of consolidation and even managed decline.
ski holidays
@Peter S, The managed decline is quite interesting.
I would say in France the small stations with one or two lifts are closing for good usually quoting the cost of insurance and regulatory checks.
Whilst the large resorts seem to be replacing larger lifts with even larger ones whilst removing the old drag lifts and smaller chairs.
Thus the undoubted Environmental damage is focussed in fewer areas but possibly is more intense in those areas.
snow conditions
Wow. Never understood till now that ski tourers langlauf aaaaaaall the way from the UK to the alps! They truely are gods among us!

They probably take the back roads to keep more true to the original spirit of the sport than taking the autoroutes...
latest report
Done
ski holidays
Done
snow conditions
Heated chairlift seats seem to be the pinnacle of environmentally nonsensical ideas. We really are stuffed.
snow report
Done
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy