Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Buying skis in Innsbruck / Ischgl

Poster: A snowHead
Good Evening,

I am looking to buy some skis this trip. I will be in Innsbruck for a night before going to Ischgl for a week and was wondering if anyone could recommend a shop.

Preferably, I'd like to get some that are old stock but brand new. I'd consider ex-Demos also but I don't fancy ex rental.

Give the popularity in the area I would have thought that there must be a few decent places to buy.

I had ordered a set of Fischer Curve DTX from sportsdirect but they let me down and cancelled my order as they did not have stock.

Any advice is much appreciated.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I found Sports Direct to be fairly cheap, but I bought 2 sets of ski only, not sure what the'd have made up etc.

Don't know what you'll have in the way of transport as they're a little way out of town here or Hervis Sports, but their stuff is a little more basic from memory.

There's a few shops in town, but I didn't think they were that cheap..

If you had time, there's a pile it high/sell it cheap place as you head down the Zillertal here ?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Theres quite a few sport shops including blue tomato
Cant say any of them was cheap though.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hmmm. You could try Die Börse in the city centre, but second hand prices are high generally so I wouldn't hold out much hope of a cheap deal on ex-demos either. They do speak good English there though, so maybe email and ask.

Zillertal is the wrong direction...

I buy mine from Spyderjon in the UK. The exchange rate is not your friend right now.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@sean1967, wrong time of year for in resort bargains.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the advice.

I think I might buy a set online from Sport Conrad in Garmisch and have them delivered to my hotel in Innsbruck.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Scarlet,

Dont think exchange rate has anything to do with it. Shops I visited was a lot more expensive than in the uk
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Mr.Egg, erm, ok rolling eyes
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sport Conrad is excellent service. Use them for most ski and outdoor sports stuff.

Best is to get them outside of the season, when they usually sell old versions of models that will get a new colour or model for the coming season. Probably about a 50% discount, plus free shipping anywhere in Europe or half price to US/Canada.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Scarlet wrote:
@Mr.Egg, erm, ok rolling eyes

Not paying 80 euros for Burton Gloves that are £30 online back home.

Nothing to do with exchange rate. Since I would need 3 euro to £1 to make it worthwhile.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The shops in Ischgl all seemed pretty expensive, they've got Bognor skis at €2k a pair if you're interested. Intersport had some reduced skis but as I wasn't looking to buy I don't know if they were good value or not.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Valkyrie wrote:
The shops in Ischgl all seemed pretty expensive, they've got Bognor skis at €2k a pair if you're interested. Intersport had some reduced skis but as I wasn't looking to buy I don't know if they were good value or not.

Strangely enough, I'm not after 2 grand Bognors.

Sport Conrad mail order to my hotel in Innsbruck is looking like the best option.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Glisshop or Ekosport have the best deals right now
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I probably wouldn't buy in Ischgl - it's a premium resort that charges permium prices that there's usually a queue of wealth (let's face it, Russian) saps willing to pay.

Bought skis over the summer and Sport Conrad were way cheaper than anyone else - most other places wanted the same price SC were charging for skis+bindings for just the skis. Orders, arrived 2 days later in a good sturdy box. My only concern would be getting them delivered to a hotel you're only in for one night. Would they be happy to receive them/for how long? Will SC ship to a different address to the one your card's registered to? What happens if they get delayed and don't arrive till the day after your stay?

Assuming you're bringing them home with you after the week in Ischgl, why not just buy them/get them delivered to the UK. Fewer issues and just one extra ski hold bag to pay for.
How are you getting from Innsbruck to Ischgl? If you have a hire car SC are only just over the border from Innsbruck and driving via Garmisch-Partenkirchen only adds 90min or so to the drive.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@sean1967, I've bought stuff in Prenner and Brundl Intersport just at the foot of the Gratbahn - granted they're a little bit more expensive but it's not as extortionate as been made out on here.
If you go through the tunnel you hit all those fancy shops that sell Volant etc but unless you're an Oligarch you won't be going in there.

Actually come to think of it??....has anyone in here ever tried Volant skis?

Any use?
snow conditions
Mjit wrote:
I probably wouldn't buy in Ischgl - it's a premium resort that charges permium prices that there's usually a queue of wealth (let's face it, Russian) saps willing to pay.

Bought skis over the summer and Sport Conrad were way cheaper than anyone else - most other places wanted the same price SC were charging for skis+bindings for just the skis. Orders, arrived 2 days later in a good sturdy box. My only concern would be getting them delivered to a hotel you're only in for one night. Would they be happy to receive them/for how long? Will SC ship to a different address to the one your card's registered to? What happens if they get delayed and don't arrive till the day after your stay?

Assuming you're bringing them home with you after the week in Ischgl, why not just buy them/get them delivered to the UK. Fewer issues and just one extra ski hold bag to pay for.
How are you getting from Innsbruck to Ischgl? If you have a hire car SC are only just over the border from Innsbruck and driving via Garmisch-Partenkirchen only adds 90min or so to the drive.

My logistics are slightly complicated as I will be offshore until Friday and fly to Innsbruck this Saturday.
I've arranged to have them delivered to my place in Ischgl, I was concerned that it is not always manned but this is not the case and the owner says there is a manned reception throughout the day.

I bought from Sport Conrad, no issues sending to the address in Ischgl. The customer service so far has been excellent. A quick call, "Ja, auf course I shpeak English", an email to confirm exactly what I wanted and received a reply within minutes to confirm placement including screenshots of the order and UPS delivery details. They should arrive on Friday.

My worry now is that the forecast has changed somewhat for clear to quite snowy and I've bought some pretty stiff piste skis - Fischer Curv DTX. I think I might have to rent some big fat floppies for a couple of days. I've had bigger worries though........... snowHead
snow conditions
sean1967 wrote:
My worry now is that the forecast has changed somewhat for clear to quite snowy and I've bought some pretty stiff piste skis - Fischer Curv DTX. I think I might have to rent some big fat floppies for a couple of days. I've had bigger worries though........... snowHead

I wouldn't worry too much, they generally know what they're doing with a piste basher in Ischgl (when they aren't driving them through bridges and parking them in the river through town). My main concern would be keeping an eye on the wind - the main lift back across from the Swiss side is a little exposed in a few places and can get stopped, so you might want to stick to the Austrian side it things are looking windy. If they aren't head over to Alp Bella and have the chicken for lunch.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy