Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Brilliant Telemark Event - 12 - 24 Jan 2019 France

Poster: A snowHead
I guess many are thinking about next winter. So I thought I'd let all telemarkers, and anyone thinking of giving it a go, know/remind about the GB Telemark Training and National Championships.

The event is formally known as Exercise Telemark Titan 2019 and is run by the Army Telemark Ski Association (ATSA) but is also open to civilians.

Briefly, the event consists of a weeks instruction for all levels from alpine skiers wishing to learn telemark, to training the GB World Cup Squad and those endeavouring to get into the squad. The instruction is first class and depending on numbers may be just french instructors or include well know english instructors, eg Telemark Tracks. Daily instruction is 0900 - 1630 with around 1 - 11/2 hours for lunch. Group size is approx 6 although novice classes may be a little larger. For the non serious GB squad telemarkers, the emphasis is on being or becoming an all mountain telemarker. So conditions permitting, everything from on piste to deep powder to moguls is covered. Race instruction is not the main activity, but some will include round the gates, jumping and skating. Adjustable poles that extend to around 1m 50cm are a good idea for skating!

This will be the third year in PLV and up to 150 telemarkers are easily catered for. Last year the numbers dropped to around 110 Royal Navy, Royal Marines, Army and civilians (25 ish), mainly due to military commitments etc, so there is ample scope for us civilians to get involved and keep up numbers. For some reason the RAF Telemarkers do their own thing somewhere else.

Then there are a few days of racing. For novices, a few development races and the better ones do get into the GB Telemark Championships. The GB Championships are for all and from that the GB World Cup team is selected. Finally, a Mountain Race. This involves skinning up a hill and skiing down, repeated for 3 laps. Either in 1 lap relay teams, or as a solo.
Some instruction continues during the racing days for novices.

The event is hosted in the delightful resort of Pralognan la Vanoise, south east of Moutiers and next valley to the east of Courcheval.
Full board accomodation is in the Hotel Vacanciel, large buffets for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and short walk to the lifts. Single rooms, for civilians at least. Large free open car parking area - shovel and snow chains are a good idea.
ATSA lays on transfers for Geneva to PLV but there is a charge.

Last year the cost for civilians was £870 - full board, instruction, lift pass and race fees.

Kit can be hired for the event.

The initial details are usually published in August, with confirmed details in the autumn.

It is great fun and a terrific opportunity to meet telemarkers at all levels and ages.

After Ex TT, the French are hosting a round of the 2018/19 Telemark World Cup in PLV.

Two telemark races for the 2022 Olympics are being submitted by FIS to the Olympic Committee. There is a short video here - https://www.facebook.com/ArmyTelemark/

Any questions and I can email last year's documents, please pm me.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@colinstone, +1 Hi Colin

It is very important that people support this to keep it going.

It is also very fun.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
How good a fixed heel alpine skier should one be to consider learning Telemark? Can an early-intermidiot in fixed heel show up here and expect to be in good company or are they likely to be the only "noob"?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@86tomw, better than sex, twice as expensive and much more painful . . . You'll never forget that first night of quad cramps Twisted Evil

Tele is a joy, it helps to develop better balance feedback and it's just a wee bit cool . . . Only gets seriously cool when you can tele switch Shocked
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
[img][/img]
86tomw wrote:
How good a fixed heel alpine skier should one be to consider learning Telemark? Can an early-intermidiot in fixed heel show up here and expect to be in good company or are they likely to be the only "noob"?

Just fine. The novice classes even have military personnel who have been sent off on Adventure Training having never skied before and discover they are learning to Telemark!!

Groups of 6 - 8 or so are very carefully graded and there will be many " noobs", all learning, falling and laughing together irrespective of background.

The other point to note is that quite a few novice telemark drills use alpine skiing. And one can always fall back to alpine on tele gear when conditions are difficult or legs need a rest.

Go for it. You won't look back once you've tried it and get hooked.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@86tomw, If the dates don't suit have a look at http://www.telemarktracks.com/ or www.telemarkskico.com/
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Masque, the cramps were something special, I had them for pretty much the first week- but never since!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cramps - day 1 each season. Mainly in a small muscle just behind the patella on the top of the thigh. Seems to be very difficult to exercise pre season, but this autumn will try more lunge exercises.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@colinstone, @ed123, @86tomw,

The DIN for Telemark Titan 2019 containing full details of this winters event has now been issued, its available from the Army Telemark Skiing Association (ATSA) facebook page here

Confirmed dates Sat 12 to Thu 24 January.

This event doubles up as the GB Telemark Championships, and in addition to @colinstone's comments above, some tele novices actually made it to compete in the championship races after less than two weeks! Shocked (There are development races for mere mortals!)

I'll be on the committee and doing all timing and calcs again this year so if anyone would like any further info just PM me.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@andyman, Thanks and got it from Rich. Not on awsa / telemark though!!
For civilians £900 and a really good deal.
Can't wait.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@86tomw, are you going to TT19??
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hello all again,

Anyone coming telemarking in January??
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hello, how do you get a place on this event as a civilian?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@EdL, I'll pm you with my email and once you've emailed me then forward the instructions and information.
And you can read here:
https://www.awsa.org.uk/telemark/
And scroll down to Ex Telemark Titan 2019 under regulations. There are 3 documents - the DIN is the most important bit.
Please contact me for any clarification - it is all a little military speak and not a bit like a holiday brochure!!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@EdL, what he said!

It is excellent and amazing value for money.

Just fill in the form and email them back, a deposit then the full payment.

They aren'y organising transfers this year- but if you'd like to share an afternoon bus from Geneva then please pm me as I'll be going with my son.

Ed
snow report
@ed123, haven't heard anything from 86tomw about going - have you??

Off to get Meidjo 2.1 bindings!
snow report
@colinstone, no- which is a shame. Snowheads- go to this it is brilliant (apart from the fact that Colin will be there).

Meidjo 2.1- well, la-di-bloody-da. 75mm not good enough for you, Rottefella Freeride not good enough ditto the Freedoms....
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy