Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria: Kitzbühel/Kirchberg 2018/19

Poster: A snowHead
Fantastic day today in Kitzbuhel. Cold and sunny with great powder just all day long pretty much!
It was noticeably busier on the pistes today and it’s not peak holiday time yet.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Heading to Kirchberg on Friday for a long weekend. Anything you would recommend? Areas to avoid? pistes, mountain restaurants, apres ski spots, village restaurants. Two thirty odd year olds who enjoy a good party, great food & ski anywhere.
thanks snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The bar / restaurant on top of the Hannenkham gondola berg station is very nice and very popular with locals on a Saturday afternoon, cracking big sun terrace and good dj's with decent house music. For looking so posh and pricey it isn't actually that expensive....gets a good party going on a Saturday from about 2.30pm onwards as locals enjoy a their mountain without so many tourists and its easy for them to get drunk and then download on the lift. you will need to book a table if you go there. https://www.beitomschy.at/

for you its one easy lift (magic carpet) and then a top to bottom ski run to get back to Kirchberg and then hit one of the more traditional après venues in Kirchberg, or if you leave a bit earlier and ski 3/4's way back to kirchberg then two good stops are either the Maierl...on the left just after the short black section of piste, again very nice bar, big sun terrace and good house music, one of my favourite's in the area...or just a bit further down the same run on the right there is a more traditional euro pop style hut...cant remember its main but you will hear it!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@enduroaid, thanks for the heads up. The house venues sound right up our street. we'll be sure to head up on Saturday and sample the delights! wink
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Liam, hi. I’m here for the season. Well to be honest I’ve not had any food anywhere in the area that’s been rubbish. It’s all tasty and good value. I’ve no complaints.
Another fantastic day in Kitzbuhel. Blue skies and some freshies to be had here and there. Snow was a bit variable in places. All in all a good day.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@VolklAttivaS5, hey, lucky you...a full season! Sounds like you've had a good day in the mountains.
I've skied quite a bit throughout Austria so know what to expect in terms of food, beer and fantastic hospitality!

if you see two guys who can ski pretty well, but cant drink for toffee, do say hallo! snowHead Toofy Grin

ps: fingers crossed the forecasted increase in temps doesn't actually happen and the snow stays good.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Liam, hmmm may be tricky to pick you out in the crowds!

There’s so much snow here now it would take some prolonged very warm temperatures over at least a couple of weeks to have any reasonable effect I’d say.
I think you will be more than satisfied!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@VolklAttivaS5, in terms of snow conditions - i'm referring more so to the freeze-thaw effect due to the unusually warm temps that have been forecast which generate bullet proof snow conditions in the morning and slushfest in the afternoon! i'm sure we'll be fine though. Very Happy

For anyone in Kitz / Kirchberg this Friday evening, check out the horse racing! https://www.kitzbueheler-alpen.com/en/kirchberg/events/horse-race-on-snow.html
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Liam, oh ok I see what you mean
Yeah I’m sure you will find nice snow somewhere!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@VolklAttivaS5, Are you out & about skiing today? weather looks perfect on the webcams. Cool
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Liam, yes I am and you’re right the weather is perfect.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Another lovely clear sunny day in the Kitzbüheler Alpen region.
Had a nice day yesterday skiing over to Pass Thurn and back.
Today I’m off to the Ski Welt.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Looks like there’s a bit of snow forecast for early next week? We’re out Sunday, can’t wait!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Lozza1uk, yes, there is.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Another sunny day today but the snow is still in excellent condition all over the Kitzbuhel area and in the Ski Welt. Bit scraped in places but that’s because it’s got busy now it’s February and there’s a lot more piste traffic. Still loads and loads of snow off piste although it was pretty hard and crusty today so I didn’t bother. I did get a short pitch of lovely snow because I’d caught it just right but that was all today.
snow conditions
Hi all - we've flights booked to Munich on 16th March for 4 days skiing and have spotted potential accommodation in Kirchberg. Is it relatively safe to book this now (bearing in mind the season it has been) or should we wait to closer to ensure enough snow?
ski holidays
@mdrumm, given how much snow there has been and more to come next week I think there will be plenty of snow left. What is unknown is how the weather will pan out after the next week, maybe it will stay relatively cold and snowy or maybe spring will arrive early (it is warm in the sun here today just to the east of Munich). You might find typical spring conditions, ie good mid morning but best to spend the afternoon on a sunny terrace. Kitzbühel is a better option than Skiwelt or some of the other nearby places as there is a certain amount of high level skiing and the resort will stay "open" until the end of April (though this will be no more than a couple of pistes).

If you are concerned then places like Obertauern, Serfaus or Obergurgl would be alternatives.

The 16th of March is the end of peak season so accommodation should be much easier to come by, if you wait you should (hopefully!) still be able to find places.
snow conditions
Thank you for that - very helpful
snow conditions
Just at Worgl. Last train leg after a smooth journey from Manchester. Looking forward to a good weekend in Kitzbuhel / Kirchberg! Would recommend the train service from Munich. Very efficient
ski holidays
Yes, you guessed it, another sunny day in Kitzbuhel.
This afternoon I skinned up to the top of the Bichlalm, skied down to the Bichlalm restaurant which is very nice decor-wise but oh my goodness expensive. €4.50 for a glass of squash (schiwasser)! I hadn’t twigged the price of it until I got the bill I just assumed it was the usual €2.50 ish. The Kaiserschmarrn wasn’t a patch on the one I had at my last visit here either, burned on the bottom of some bits and a farty little portion for €14.50!!!
You live and learn.
My own fault for not looking at the menu first as I’d been here before when it was new a few seasons ago.
I think the prices have gone up!

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sat 9-02-19 19:25; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Snow is forecast next week
ski holidays
Hopefully not too much! Just sat on the bus at Salzburg and hoping for a lovely day tomorrow!
ski holidays
It has been puking with snow since this morning in the Kitzbüheler Alps region with more snow due tomorrow. It’s fantastic. I’ve been skiing knee deep powder to the side of the pistes all morning.
Anyway-does anyone that likes off piste skiing want to share a guide with me on Friday this week? It’s forecast to be sunny after Wednesday.
If you do then PM me for details, it’s a pretty good deal.
snow report
We skied at St Johann today. We were turned away from both the gondola station car parks in town as they were full and ended up at Oberndorf.
So I expected the pistes to be packed. It turned out that was completely wrong. I think the locals must have been sitting around at the mountain huts as the pistes were pretty quiet!
The snow was actually in pretty good nick despite the warm weather.
snow report
We found the same yesterday - lifts were rammed but pistes deserted. When we had lunch at the top of the Harschbichl we realised where everyone was - it was packed out! Fantastic chicken and chips up there if you’re hungry! Enjoy your week, sad to be home today!
snow report
Have a good journey.
We’re going to the Steinplatte today and Lofer the day after. After that not sure.
snow report
Not been to Lofer yet.
snow conditions
How's the conditions looking this week? Forecast is not filling me with confidence for March skiing!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@trolleyed, it was fantastic yesterday. New snow of maybe 5-10cm and much colder so the snow was powdery and very light. I had fresh tracks pretty much all day over in Jochberg and Pass Thurn I even stayed to the last lift!
Piste conditions are great no bald patches etc there’s far too deep a base.
latest report
@trolleyed, Next week is due to be very mild, definitely spring weather. However the outlook for early march suggests much less warm with precipitation. At a guess this probably means rain in the valley snow higher up as ever the details are impossible to know. As noted above the conditions are still very good so you will have plenty of snow.
ski holidays
@trolleyed, they have a ton of snow. The snow here around Starnberg, south of Munich, has not even completely melted yet. It takes a long time, and besides Kitz actually doesn't need more than about 20cm to offer decent skiing. You'll be fine.
latest report
After setting off this morning from St Johann and wishing I hadn’t put an extra layer on (warm and drizzly in town this morning as I walked to the station-phew!) it was just as well I had done as it was cold and snowy in Kitzbuhel especially up in Pass Thurn. I was glad to have my thicker mittens on today too. Winter has well and truly returned at higher altitudes as it’s raining/drizzling below about 1200m.
The new snow from the last 24 hours or so must have been about 5-10cm. It freshened up the pistes nicely and was powder snow at about 1800m or above. The off piste was ok and I enjoyed myself but the new snow was a bit thin to be covering the multitude of icy ruts and cookies just beneath the surface. It was snowing lightly all day up high so hopefully it will continue overnight.
There is meant to be more snow coming middle of next week.
ski holidays
Thanks for the update - sounds like waterproofs for town and thick fleece for up top!
latest report
@trolleyed, well I wouldn’t say that necessarily, it’s sunny and warm again today! It’s +1 degree C where I am in Waidring but +6 degrees C in Kitzbuhel apparently (presume both temps are at town level)
But as always with a mountain environment be prepared for all eventualities!
ski holidays
Booked up accommodation in Kirchberg near the Maierlbahn, landing in Salzburg evening of Sat 30th. What's the best way to get two people plus large ski bag from airport to resort? Train takes too long.

Also need to get skis serviced, there's a shop called Gerry's round the corner but if anyone's got a personal recommendation, it would be useful to know.
ski holidays
@Riccardo, Lift Hotel or Aschabers other place Hotel Kroneck? Gerry's is in the Lifthotel building and relatively new. We hired good kit from them, free sundries and a pair of insoles gratis when we went.

https://www.kitzbuehel.com/en/service/travelplan/plane not used any of these, but Andi's Taxi rings a bell €35 a head each way sounds cheap.
latest report
@HutToHut, yes spot on, the Kroneck. I found a recommendation for Andis taxis from 2006, so they're doing something right.

Many thanks.
latest report
Arriving in Kirchberg on Sat 16th for 4 days skiing. Staying fairly central and need to buy lift passes when we arrive to start on Sun. Can anyone please recommend best place to buy them? Ta
ski holidays
Many Austrian hotel receptions will sell you one. Or just go to the nearest Kassa window at a lift station.
ski holidays
@Riccardo, Aschaber taxi is nextdoor to the Lift hotel, maybe worth an email. Centre of town is a ten minute walk for the other ski shops.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy