Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Shoulder armour / returning after broken collarbone

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, I wondered if anyone had any good experiences of shoulder protectors for skiing. My husband broke his collarbone skiing last season (its third break in total after sporting injuries in his youth) and would like to buy some kind of protector/body armour to wear this year. He is a decent skier so isn't planning on falling too often (!) I think we understand (and I have read older posts to this effect) that given the way collarbone breaks tend to happen, armour may not be entirely effective. Nevertheless, he is still keen to go for something for peace of mind - so any suggestions gratefully received. Thank you Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not sure if they exist for skiing, but downhill mountain bike armour incorporates shoulder protection so may be suitable Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Having broken both Collar bones and shoulder skiing I feel his pain.

I didn't wear anything afterwards, it all felt too hot and bulky so worth him trying on to see.

Dainese do a high quality full UPPER body protection system that you can get on SportPursuit at the mo for circa £110

https://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/product/view/id/1146266?click=eyJxdWVyeSI6IkRhaW5lc2UiLCJwYWdlIjoxLCJwYWdlU2l6ZSI6NDIsInBvcyI6Mjl9

There are vests but whilst they add a little shoulder protection they don't offer that much, it's mainly for back.
Other than that take a look at go karting upper body protection - my brother had one that gave rib and shoulder protection and was pretty light weight
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
demon flexforce body armour is quite decent.
Not sure if it would help much. It has shoulder protection. So guess it depends on how he falls & why its breaking.
You can also get an addon chest protection.
Just be careful about buying online. The sizes are a bit bigger than what you would expect.
The Youth version has padding around the collarbone. So not sure if the largest one of them would fit!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
POC VPD is very effective and we use it for Downhill biking, skiing and other sports - it is much thinner and more flexible than rigid armour yet level 2 rated.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/poc-spine-vpd-2-0-protection-jacket-2018/rp-prod93568

You can remove the chest armour which reduces the bulk a lot, and the spine protector if you want to - we don’t remove it unless we are wearing a pack in which we have a spine protector.

On ebay you can get these much more cheaply - the last one we bought was 50gbp in an xs for the Valaisgrom2
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Skimum1, I have Forcefield body armour which I used after coming back from should separation. Gets a bit hot tbh. The pads are excellent though.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Skimum1, As others have said -- body armour not ideal for a collar bone, and it get's very hot. Something that may help would be to not use the wrist straps on his sticks.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thank you all so much for taking time to reply - sincerely appreciated. We will investigate the suggestions above and hope for an incident-free season in 2019...
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks also ski for tip above - will pass that on 👍🏼
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Skimum1, you can't do much to protect a clavicle from anything other than a perpendicular impact like stones being thrown up from leading motocrossers etc., and since most ski/boarding falls tend to be lateral and put linear or twisting forces into the shoulder, there really isn't much you can do to protect that area other than exercise to improve muscular strength and something like Judo to improve spacial awareness, falling and impact mitigation. There's no armour that will protect you as a skier or a boarder from a collarbone crunch. What will is exercise and developing skills to avoid a fall in the first place.
Though armour does have a place in our ensemble, particularly when trying to learn new skills or pushing against our self imposed limitations . . . like dropping 12 feet onto the bottom of a half pipe and landing on my coccyx. Fortunately it didn't perforate my colon but that is more common than reported and Sepsis is a boog'r to cure these days Shocked
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Masque, ....Lone Ranger (ie skimum)....this man speaks much truth....listen to the wisdom of this Masque man
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've spent quite a lot of time looking for body armour with collarbone protection and there isn't too much around, although armour with shoulder pads offers some mitigation (assuming you fall that way).

The only ones I've found are:

https://demonsnow.com/store/X-Connect-Men-Top (there are a few different versions)

https://www.evocsports.com/products/protection-wear/protector-jacket (I have this and have replaced the hard shoulder and back pads with D3O pads)

Https://gform.uk/padded-compression-shirt (The paddling is the same concept as D3O, but is much thinner...I presume it works but it definitely still results in a sore shoulder if you fall in icy conditions)!

Hope this helps!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy