Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski hire - 8 days for the price of 6?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
In recent years' skiing holidays we've managed to fit in a full day's skiing on departure day (Saturday), meaning 7 days skiing. That's worked out quite nicely with ski hire, as many shops offer "buy 6 days, get a 7th day free".

Hire shops also allow you to pick up ski hire the evening before your first full day. Last season we stretched this by picking our hire up at 2pm on arrival day (Saturday) and getting an extra afternoon's skiing in - i.e. 7.5 days ski hire for the price of 6.

This year, our flight to the Alps is very early and we hope to be in resort by noon. Do you think we have a good chance of being able to pick up skis that early (officially they'd be booked from the morning after)?

I know it's a bit cheeky trying to get 2 free days, but when skiing for 8 days, I'm not sure the "buy 6 days, get a 7th day free" offer would apply. That would mean that if we booked hire to start on arrival day, we might not get any free days at all, so we'd need to pay for 8 days rather than the 6 days by officially booking hire from the Sunday.

...if that makes any sense at all! Laughing
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd be surprised if they let you pick up skis at noon. Of course you can try, but don't be too surprised if they say no or want you to pay extra. There's a big difference between picking skis up the evening before when lifts have stopped and they are not going to be used, and during the day.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Who knows - probably depends on the shop and the rental jockey on duty at the time. If you are conspicuously in street clothes and doing them a favour by getting a bit of the Saturday night rush out of the way early I can see they might be quite happy to let you take them there and then. If not negotiate a small supplement for the extra half day.

Only concern might be Saturday is turnaround day on rental kit so the selection might not be as good while it is being tuned*

* factor in appropriate amount of scepticism about what a rental tune consists of
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Dave of the Marmottes, I have rejected skis before which clearly haven’t seen any wax for a long time. So think you are right... saying that they (appeared) perfectly happy when I have done so and showing them the bases on the skis.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

I'd be surprised if they let you pick up skis at noon. Of course you can try, but don't be too surprised if they say no or want you to pay extra. There's a big difference between picking skis up the evening before when lifts have stopped and they are not going to be used, and during the day.

I've had the opposite where they've phoned me whilst I'm driving down asking if it's possible I could come early so reducing their workload late afternoon. When I've got there just after lunch to get the kids kitted out they've been all smiles, it probably means they get to go home 15 minutes earlier than they would have done.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks all. We'll try our luck and pay a supplement if needed.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Remember -- Early flight out means early flight back..... (there again, if you are DIY, maybe not...?)
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@albob, 6am flight out, 9pm flight back. The beauty of DIY!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy