Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

carcassonne car hire winter tyres

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
anyone ever rented a car from Carcassonne airport and managed to get winter tyres.? I cant find any supplier who has them available, even at a cost. rental period is in feb and given the proximity to the pyrenees and andorra I am surprised I cant get them.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I asked the exact same question this time last year. I think the general consensus of replies suggested that there were no car rental firms at Carcassonne airport that would supply winter tyres. I fired a few emails off to various car rental companies and they all replied that winter tyres weren't offered at Carcassonne. It was suggested that maybe you could pick some up enroute at one of the local supermarkets or garages, which is a good idea unless you are arriving after midday on a Sunday. We didn't book flights to Carcassonne in the end for this very reason as we didn't want to risk getting caught out .
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@backhojo, Check that if you have a diesel car that it will have winter diesel. If not it will be a far greater problem than winter tyres.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

@backhojo, Check that if you have a diesel car that it will have winter diesel. If not it will be a far greater problem than winter tyres.

Or probably not
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

It was suggested that maybe you could pick some up enroute at one of the local supermarkets or garages, which is a good idea unless you are arriving after midday on a Sunday.

Or don't want to spend a small fortune!! Ordinary tyres will be OK if you have chains and fit them swiftly at the first sign of loss of traction.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@gvj, OK my sample on tyres is large and on winter diesel small. I have driven many time to the Alpes in winter with my own car and hire cars with normal all season tyres (ie not winter tyres) and never had a problem. Friends rented a car from Venice airport to goto the Dolomites. It came with all season tyres but not winterised diesel. The tyres were no problem but the diesel waxed up and spent hours in the garage with a heater under it so it could run. A much greater problem.

A usual I find myself agreeing with @pam w,
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@johnE, good luck finding a car hire company that will guarantee your hire car has winterised diesel.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
In venice the gave my friends a bottle of addin. It was insuffcient.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
https://centres.norauto.fr/centre/carcassonne-franchise/1202

Be aware , Sunday is a closed day in many retailers in France
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
winter diesel should not be a problem - I am sure the cheap duty free diesel in andorra will be winter diesel - it woudl be nuts not to be. We always carry additive for our own car so I can take some for the hire car. Not sure about the "pick some up on the way" comment - i am presuming you are referring to snow chains and not tyres as I sure you cant be advocating spending £500 on tyres and putting them on a car you dont own !! The issue is that none of the airports that serve andorra appear to offer winterised hire cars. I am having enough trouble finding a flight as it is without the added complication of picking an airport based on its hire car criteria ! I actually have a set of chains from last time I went to andorra 12 years ago. We made it to within a mile of the hotel in bad snow but then got stuck and had to buy some ! i would take them with me but there i no guarantee they will fit - and they eat into the luggage allowance ! I guess we just have to do the same if the weather is bad (we would arrive on friday night and do the drive to resort on saturday so shops will be open). I have a couple of sets of snowsocks at home - will take those as they may help if we are stuck and they dont weigh much ! thanks for all your comments.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@backhojo, Couple of final thoughts. We run two diesel cars in a valley that runs north south near la Clusaz so it can get pretty chilly here ! Having said that there's only been one week in the past five years when any local cars have had problems with waxing fuel so you'd be very unlucky if you had the same - the temps. at the time were -15c ! If you can park undercover overnight you'll be fine and if you keep the tank full that helps too. Happy travels.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

I am sure the cheap duty free diesel in andorra will be winter diesel - it woudl be nuts not to be.

But the car they pick up will be full of fuel in Carcassonne, not Andorra.
Having worried about it I suspect all diesel sold in France during winter will be appropriaely treated. I have regularly full up just sout of Rheims and had no problems even down to -20. Venice is in Italy and in Italy lots of things are done in weird ways.

@gvj, why does keeping the tak full help? Just curious
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Less room for anything else. Including cold, damp air, I guess.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@johnE, diesel is not hydrophobic like petrol so attracts water. The fuller the tank with diesel, the less possibility for water contamination and the less water the less the chance of freezing. I'm not 100% of the science but i'm pretty sure that's the reason people say to leave it full. I've been from Carcasonne to Andorra several times on summer tyres and have always been fine. Cheap chains can be bought along the way if you need them. As long as you are sensible you'll be grand.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy