Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Back to skiing after double break

Poster: A snowHead
Hi there,

Broke both Tib & Fib of right leg whilst skiing in Zauchansee last January. Was operated on and had a plate fitted to to my tibia. Consultant back home as said it could take 12 months before i am back to normal and i am still having physio at the moment. Everything seems to be going well and the leg is getting stronger all the time. Have asked consultant about skiing this January (big 60 birthday bash for me) and he was a bit non committal, saying there would be a risk. Physio seemed more optimistic and did not see any reason why not.

Whilst i know everybody's injuries are different, i'd just like to ask if anyone out there as had a similar experience and what there advice would be. Not planning any off piste this time and will be happy just cruising around.

Cheers

Soulo snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
12 months is a long time, are the fractures not considered to have healed yet or do you have some underlying risks like osteoporosis?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
No underlying risks. Was not allowed to put any weight on it for 2 months after accident then gentle physio for a while before more strength and impact work. Not able to hop on leg without assistance as of yet but ok on treadmill and cross trainer etc. Still have a slight limp.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@soulo, do you “need” to limp or have you formed a habit of it?

I was badgered a lot by my physios to make sure I use crutches to make sure I can walk normally and to make sure I didn’t form a habit of limping as it is very difficult to break.

Also was strongly encouraged to make sure I slow down my walk etc to make sure I was not limping.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@soulo, 2 months is usual for non weight bearing. I skied 5 and a bit months after Tibial Plateau Fracture (plated) but just a little at Hemel, then full on a month later in Val d'Isere. I had done loads of rehab (gym 5 times a week including a weekly physio session). that said I wasn't "normal", that certainly took more than a year but I was fitter for skiing than I had ever been. I was 53.

If it were me I would be asking the consultant exactly what he thinks the risk is and why you are different to those people who return to skiing earlier than 12 months. If only because I would not want to be skiing against medical advice from an insurance point of view.

I still can't hop 5 years later...
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
NickyJ wrote:
@soulo, do you “need” to limp or have you formed a habit of it?

I was badgered a lot by my physios to make sure I use crutches to make sure I can walk normally and to make sure I didn’t form a habit of limping as it is very difficult to break.

Also was strongly encouraged to make sure I slow down my walk etc to make sure I was not limping.

absolutely. I was told by my surgeon to always use 2 crutches as using only one tends to affect the gait and encourage limping
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@holidayloverxx,

Thanks for that. Consultant did not say i could'nt ski, just that there would be a risk. Best clear things with insurance before going. Same as you, i feel fitter than i have done in a long while due to extra gym work, which was one of those things you always meant to do but never got around to it. Planning a trip to xscape soon to check things out.

What did it feel like putting ski boots on for the first time after and did you have any problems with cold weather?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@soulo, no problems with cold weather, putting boots on was a bit meh as I didn't really have enough strength to push down hard enough but it went on
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@NickyJ,

Hi Nicky,

Think i might have formed an habit. It is ok when i walk slow but more apparent when walking quicker or running.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
My breaks were pretty nasty so surgeon said to wait 20 months before i tried skiing again.. but i would now only go skiing if i could at least jog !!!!.. last year my surgeon said most likley outcome of skiing to soon would be the bracket breaking.. in the uk he said hed just pop a new one in...but in italy it wont be as easy .. my first day back skiing is wednesday next week. 20 months post break.. tried my boot on the other day and it was not comfortable after 10 mins though
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
soulo wrote:
@NickyJ,

Hi Nicky,

Think i might have formed an habit. It is ok when i walk slow but more apparent when walking quicker or running.

I would invest the time concentrating hard on how you walk and ensuring you slow yourself down every time you realise you are limping (get friends etc to look for it and tell you if you are limping again as it is really easy not to notice!)

If you have access to a gym do exercises on leg press (and others as you wish) single legged ensuring you are doing the same weights on both. This will make sure you don’t accidentally favour one leg. I still do this years after my last knee surgery to make absolutely sure.

Best of luck - when it comes to bones I don’t have any experience (mine is all from knee injuries) but you needing to build up the leg muscles will be same for both! It is scary how quickly these are lost after any sort leg I injury.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks Nicky,

Good advice and i am trying hard to make myself do it but with not being a slow walker generally i am finding it difficult. I am in gym 4 or 5 times a week so strength will definitely be there by next January.

@yorkshirelad,

I am able to jog/run on treadmill so that is a good sign. Hope your first ski goes ok.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I broke my tib and fib last March. Spent 5 months in a Taylor Spatial Frame. Orthopod has said that itis highly unlikely that I'll be fit to ski this winter but will be fine the following one.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Double break for me (Tib plate and 16 screws) Nov 16 and I was back on ski's about 11 months later in the dome and teaching again a few months later. I never pushed the physio but she could see how hard I was pushing with my rehab and told me go go have a gentle ski. 2 trips last season followed (Jan and Apr); first one very cautious second one much better. 2 years on nearly and I'd say I'm pretty much back to full fitness running around a tennis court and skiing with so much more confidence; did 46 hrs of instruction last month too on plastic and apart from a little swelling after being in a ski boot its bearing up well. Everyone is different tho and I'd say just take baby steps and take your time. My recovery was definately aided by patience and perseverance and the trust to let the medical staff give you that all important support and 'all clear'.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Btw @soulo, you sound like you are almost at the same level of recovery at the same time frame as me. When I had my first week back on ow it was 13.5 months after the break but I had skied in a dome and on plastic.
ski holidays
@scottief,

Thanks, i was hoping to get feedback from someone with a similar experience. I think patience is the watchword and i am not planning anything other than gently cruising about on the piste. It will be over 12 months since accident when i go to Flacau in January next year so hopefully everything will be ok. A couple of hours at xscape should give me a good indicator as to what i'm capable of.

Much appreciate everybody's comments.

Soulo
latest report
@soulo, I think you’ll be just fine. Sounds like you have been doing things the right way. B4 I went to castleford I put my boot on at home for 5 mins then 10 then 15 and so on building up the leg to get used to it again (even tho first time back on gave me nightmares of the pain I had when they took it off on the piste). When I went for my ‘gentle’ ski I went from halfway for loads of runs just getting a feel for the leg and the balance to see how it felt. The looks I was getting were comical as I was there with all my gear on looking like I couldn’t ski lol. I’ll be honest and say I was so so nervous. I eventually had the guts to have a run from the top after my mate gave me a reality check and after that I took my skis off in jubilation but I was visibly shaking at the top whilst my mate reminded me of all of the tough stuff we’ve skied together which helped give that final ‘push’. When I went to the dome I was still limping a bit and not 100% at all on the leg as I was still building the muscle. When I went to France in the Jan 13.5 months after break I did what you did and cruised blues very cautiously. Unfortunately for me there had been a big dump of snow and I ended up skiing a red in variable snow and bumps first day back which we didn’t know about. I wasn’t happy but skied it and felt jubilation again that I did it. Again it took a huge mental ‘kick’ to make myself do it. I did feel like a beginner again and it gave me new found appreciation of all the fears beginners do have. By the end of the week I was skiing again with much more confidence and it felt amazing to be back after missing a whole season just like it will for you. Don’t hesitate to get in touch if you want to discuss anything else recovery wise and best of luck. Please let us know how you get on. By the way, I’m off to Cervinia in a few weeks and no doubt will visit the ‘scene of the crime’ which I hope will give me closure on what was a long and sometimes painful journey back but also a hugely challenging and rewarding one. After getting over myself in the hospital I vowed to get back to where I am now and am absolutely thrilled and privelaged to be looking forward to another great season.
ski holidays
Went to chill factore today, did an hour of very steady skiing, scard i would break something though, all went very well and no problems ..
ready for next weeks runs
latest report
@yorkshirelad, good lad, really pleased to hear that. Onward and (literally) upward!!
ski holidays
@scottief,

That's a great insight into what to expect and it has given me a lot of confidence that everything will be alright. I think the mental side will be the one to conquer and i am not sure how i will feel the first time on skis again.

Planning to go to Castleford but the only problem is i don't have my own boots with me as i leave them at a friends in Austria to save me carrying them each time. If you have tried the boots there you will know how bad they are so there is a little bit of trepidation.

Thanks for the offer of advice, i might take you up on that. Will let you know how i get on.

Soulo
latest report
i would suggest going to manchester and do the breakfast club on a wednesday morning at 7am !!!! very quiet...piste groomed and a lot easier to start on.. plus at £15 for two hours including breakfast its a great deal,!!!! as its quiet, getting a pair of boots is quick and easy as everybody there has their own boots !! at 9.30am its very very quiet but the piste has a bit of fluff on it, plus its about £24 an hour i think... i preferred groomed for my first few runs.
I was in a cold sweat going down the first time, did'nt think my accident had had such an effect, felt like my leg was made of glass.
can't say i enjoyed the session as i was always thinking that each run should be the last one so that i did not have a fall on the next run !!! hopefully next week i will be a bit more settled and ski a bit more fluidly
snow conditions
@yorkshirelad,

Thanks, might try that. I have got a Wednesday off in December and it's probably not that much further to Manchester.

Soulo
ski holidays
let me know when youre going i might see you there. ian
snow report
@yorkshirelad,

Ok, will do. Probably be the 19th if i can make it.

Soulo
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy