Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski helmet with chin guard - recommendations?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all

Took my first tumble in quite a while last night: MK SnoZone, end of a run, caught an edge or something and ended up taking out the fence by the lift. Aside from feeling like an idiot and a mouthful of snow, no harm done but it got me thinking.

While I always wear a helmet, the one I have has no provision for a chin guard so I'm considering a change. I don't intend to go slalom any time soon, so a fairly basic chin guard is fine: I just feel more comfortable knowing I have some protection. I have a fairly large head and ideally would prefer something that doesn't have a hard covering over the ears (I mainly ski indoors and the ability to hear instructors / those around me is of value). I am doing a week in Bulgaria in January so in the market now.

Most on here know more about this than me: is there anything you'd recommend?

Thanks in advance.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Turbobanana, errr, without a rigid ear covering, how will it be attached?

As downhillers don't seem to use them any more I think you might struggle.

Learn to fall safely.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
POC do several with chin guards, and also an option called the Maxilla which is a guard which fits to about half a dozen or so helmets in the range.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@under a new name, Slalom helmets typically have soft ear covering, like this. They are not really designed to protect against falls though, just to stop gates hitting your face.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
under a new name wrote:

Learn to fall safely.

errr, thanks - I think.

Seriously though, I appreciate your comment about the ear covering bit.

Richard_Sideways wrote:

POC do several with chin guards, and also an option called the Maxilla which is a guard which fits to about half a dozen or so helmets in the range.

Thanks, I'll take a look.

rjs wrote:

They are not really designed to protect against falls though, just to stop gates hitting your face.

Good shout, thank you. Just to be clear, I wasn't expecting a full-face, motorcycle-style of face protection: just something rather than nothing really.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@rjs, I know. Perhaps I wasn't so clear.

I have a somewhat dated DH one my suspicion is that it's only to protect from gates but at DH speed.

POC Maxilla isn't that solid either.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
A Ruroc helmet is what you’re looking for Toofy Grin
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bolle do a helmet with soft/removal ear flaps and a chin guard which is fixed onto the helmet itself

https://skiracing.co.uk/shop/ski-racing-helmets-chinguards/bolle/backline-slalom-green/

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 12-09-18 18:14; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Rankamateur, yes, but that’s a slalom helmet, as discounted already.

Ruroc poss the only solution and it will look a bit like overkill in a fridge... Twisted Evil
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
atomic count Amid RS has an optional chin guard

https://shop.atomic.com/en-gb/products/count-amid-rs-an0239.html.
https://shop.atomic.com/en-gb/products/chin-guard-count-rs-an0271.html

or

As you are in MK,EllisBrigham sell the shred bumper helmet, which also has an optional chin guard

https://www.ellis-brigham.com/products/shred-bumper-noshock-ski-helmet-2017--2018/717455
https://www.ellis-brigham.com/products/shred-bumper-helmet-chinguard/717457
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Bob, slalom protection. Discounted as above...

I think the fact that proper chin guards are so hard to find indicates a limited need.

Rule 5 applies.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
How often would a chin guard make a difference in normal (not racing) skiing falls? I'm struggling to think of an occasion when i would have wanted one, despite many falls. Obviously it happens (hence the OP's question) but is it common enough to warrant extra protection or was that just a freak accident?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
For conventional skiing, a chinguard may increase (substantially) the risk to the neck. I had to remove my sons from his helmet last year for GS racing, and this is just at the kids level in France.

I’d think very carefully about recreational skiing with one. I have a helmet with chinguard, but only using it for skiing gates.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@mgrolf, yep.@snowdave, yep.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks to all respondents - much appreciated.

I totally get the later points made about the value of a chin guard in recreational skiing (all I'm doing) and the potential for further neck injury. As the incident was a freak I think I just need to get over myself and be more careful next time.

Or maybe slow down, but let's face it - that's not an option Cool
snow report
I thought modern slalom chin guards were being made to collapse in a forward fall now to prevent whiplash like injuries, so not a lot of use in a full on face plant anyway.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy