Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski equipment and transportation survey

Poster: A snowHead
Simplified hopefully this one will go down easier
Would be greatly appreciated if it was answered

1. How many weeks a year are you physically involved in skiing

Under 1 week

3+ weeks

5+ weeks

10+ weeks

2. What Problems do you find when carrying skiing equipment

3. How long can you continuously carry your skiing equipment

less than 5 minutes

5+ minutes

10+ minutes

15+ minutes

4. Do you ever pay extra money for taxis or buses for transportation

Yes

No

5. Do you feel like you need access to an easier transportation system for the weight of your skis

Yes

No

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 6-09-18 11:12; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Tom Beardmore, still not great, but I will play. see the answers to see why the questions are not great

5+ weeks

None

(these answer options are the same)

15+ minutes

over 15 minutes

Yes ..but that's because I am in a different ski area that I can't walk to

5. Do you feel like you need access to an easier transportation system

I don't understand the question. easier transportation for what..me, my skis?

I'm guessing you have invented a "nifty" ski carrier - we've done that lots here
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Tom Beardmore, you don't deserve answers (why didn't you answer MY question on one of your other three threads?) but here goes:
1) 5+
2) Depends on the weight of the skis. My current skis aren't particularly heavy.
3) 15+ minutes. Though I might award myself a rest and put them down for a moment. Which would then not be 'continuously' of course.
4) If I am going somewhere which isn't within walking distance, I will pay for a bus or taxi, always assuming I can't get a lift or other free transport. This is irrespective of whether I have skis with me or not.
5) Assuming you mean a transportation system for skis, the answer is no.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Tom Beardmore,

1 physically - 6+ (mentally....most of the time)
2 getting one hand around two fat waisted skis - seriously. We do a Thovex all the time, one in each hand.
3 15+ - i’d be dead if I couldn’t schlep them all day
4 No
5 No

Supplementary - I don’t want an additional ski carrying device. Really.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Whole season.

None.

From the car park to the lift, that's all that's necessary.

No. I use my car, or a free ski bus.

5. Do you feel like you need access to an easier transportation system for the weight of your skis
No.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Form six?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
1. 3-4 weeks
2. For some reason I can't just look at my paired skis and KNOW which one needs to be on the bottom when I throw them over my shoulder. It always takes unnecessary thought - and even then I seem to get it wrong 25% of the time!
3. I've yet to find my limit before reaching my destination.
4. Buses - but only to get to distant parts of a ski area served by the standard valley bus, rather than a free ski bus.
5. Not really, no.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Tom Beardmore, you're an idiot.

With no posting history, with no introduction as to who you are or explanation of what you're doing, you've generated three separate posts with the same poorly thought out and poorly presented survey.

I'm out.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
He's got me thinking.
Maybe he's going to be offering a European based sherpa service, using illegal immigrants to keep the costs down. That, linked to a Tuk-Tuk service, but with snow chains on them and roof racks for the skis. I am curious.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Awdbugga,
Chains are useless, you need winter tyres wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
5+ weeks

none

less than 5 minutes

No

No
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.

5+ weeks

None.

10+ minutes (swapping skis to the other shoulder)

No (either walk to lift or use free ski bus)

No
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I once carried my skis up the whole Tetras piste in the 3V. I wouldn't recommend it but it was that or a hefty taxi fare.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Layne wrote:
I once carried my skis up the whole Tetras piste in the 3V. I wouldn't recommend it but it was that or a hefty taxi fare.
That's a lot of effort to save €20!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Layne wrote:
snow report
No I don't want a new magic ski carry gadget. If I'm not too infirm enough to ski or snowboard I can get them around by myself or in extremity strap them to my pack if I am walking some distance.
latest report
Raceplate wrote:
Layne wrote:

If it were 20 Euros to get from Meribel to Le Praz I would probably have taken it. Anyway who wouldn't want an early evening stroll in the Spring sunshine followed by a 1000m descent in splendid isolation as the sun starts to go down. Well err, me obviously.... but if I had one Beardmore's ski carriers who knows... NehNeh wink Toofy Grin
latest report
@Layne, Meribel Village which you were above is usually around €20 to La Tania which is a free bus ride to the rest of Courchevel. Or a downhill walk to Le Praz...

Still, something to be said for being last off the hill Madeye-Smiley

I'd have spent the €20 in the pub in MV and then hitched to LT/LP Laughing NehNeh
snow report
@Raceplate, I thought the road from Meribel to La Tania was closed in the Winter?

Anyway please let me think I did what was necessary like I have all these years wink wink Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
And I still don't no new fangled ski carrier wink Skullie NehNeh
latest report
Raceplate wrote:
Layne wrote:

@Layne I remember when you first told me that story about 20 years ago..... Oh how time flies.
latest report
ansta1 wrote:
Raceplate wrote:
Layne wrote:

@Layne I remember when you first told me that story about 20 years ago..... Oh how time flies.

Still one of my go to's Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
No I don't want a new magic ski carry gadget. If I'm not too infirm enough to ski or snowboard I can get them around by myself or in extremity strap them to my pack if I am walking some distance.

The OP hasn't said what the reason for his survey is, but if as you surmise it's in connection with a new magic ski carry gadget then it's basically a solution in search of a problem. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Layne wrote:
ansta1 wrote:
Raceplate wrote:
Layne wrote:

Still one of my go to's Laughing Laughing

Mine is still chucking a 360 heli spin half way down Dantercepies piste in Selva on my 3rd ever day on ski's. That and doing the Hannenkahm the day after world cup race day (mostly on my backside it has to be said).
latest report
@Layne, ...I have two old-fangled ski carriers on the ends of my arms. They can hold skis, sticks, beer but not necessarily at the same time.
snow report
@valais2, seriously, ski carrying things just p+ss me off. It’s more gubbins in a gubbins-full world. Carrying off-piste planks on packs which are designed carefully to A frame skis and make them a manageable wilderness load is a good thing. And they exist already, well designed, integrated into things which we already carry. No good in a car park but that’s not what they are for. All those 90’s ‘attach your skis to your waist’ things were just a vacuous gimmick. Hanging your skis from a webbing handle just means that they swing all over the place and bash into things, in comparison with simply holding them in your hands.
ski holidays
Layne wrote:
@Raceplate, I thought the road from Meribel to La Tania was closed in the Winter?
No, (almost) never. It's entirely through forest so well protected from avalanche and rock falls. Occasional tree fall in a storm but that soon gets bulldozed over the side. Suffers a bit from subsidence but they close it in summer for those repairs rather than winter.

Layne wrote:
Anyway please let me think I did what was necessary like I have all these years wink wink Very Happy Very Happy
Well I was going to mention that depending on year and week there has sometimes been a 3-times-a-day free bus from MV to LT, the last of which used to leave at around 7pm to allow for stragglers and après-ers but I won't do that now. wink

On the other hand, as I've seen you mention that it was around 20 years ago I reckon you only saved €15 from Meribel Village to Le Praz. Toofy Grin Laughing
snow conditions
@Raceplate, you gotta have a story though right Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Raceplate wrote:

On the other hand, as I've seen you mention that it was around 20 years ago I reckon you only saved €15 from Meribel Village to Le Praz. Toofy Grin Laughing

At that vintage it could have been about 100francs.

Are we far enough off topic yet?
snow report
Another invention for special snowflakes who can't shoulder a pair of skis?
ski holidays
adithorp wrote:
Are we far enough off topic yet?

Maybe someone could invent a way of carrying around a means of transport for when you get stranded in the wrong valley.

Something like an electric scooter that fits in a backpack.
snow conditions
rjs wrote:

Maybe someone could invent a way of carrying around a means of transport for when you get stranded in the wrong valley.

Something like an electric scooter that fits in a backpack.

Ski Drones.
snow report
@skimastaaah, inflatable skis
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy