Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La rosiere

Poster: A snowHead
Me and my family are looking for somewhere for NY, would La Rosiere be any good? There will be two intermediate skiers and 3 beginners? Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I went here for my first ever ski trip a few years a go so I fit well into the beginnner category. For me I thought it was excellent, I was certain it was the most difficult dangerous place in the world. In reality looking back it had some really nice simple greens and also a couple of nice blues that me as a begginer was challenged on and able to do.

I look back with fond memories, it started my love for Skiing. I would happily recommend it for begginer a based on my (very) limited experience. I must say though I thought alpe dhuez was better (that was my third trip) so that probably would get my vote. Again limited experience.

We went with advanced skiers to la ros and they certainly found enough to entertain themselves. They really like heading over to Italy.

Happy searching.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
my only comment would be, south facing resort early in the season, hope not but could be very green
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Despite that it does tend to get early snow due to its position at the head of the valley and it's high. I've been 3 times at Xmas and for 2 we had good snow even though it was generally not a good start to the season across the Alps. The 3rd time many resorts had little/no snow but we had enough though a bit thin at times.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've been Christmas twice and there was loads of snow. If there is no snow in La Rosiere then there will be little elsewhere. New lift this season opening up a lot of new terrain right of the Fort Lift
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mother hucker wrote:
my only comment would be, south facing resort early in the season, hope not but could be very green

South facing early season can be a very good thing. The sun is not usually strong enough to make the snow go slushy but keeps the skier a bit warmer and in better light.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
La Rosiere is in the top-5 for snowdepth in France, virtually every year.
You can't get much more snowsure than this.

South facing is a big advantage in the dark days of mid winter.

Especially with the new sector that will open this year, will be interesting. Nice wide slopes well suited to less confident skiers, but enough blacks and offpiste too.
Just make sure you go to the Italian side for good tasting food for 1/3 less than in France Wink

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ski/news/first-look-at-new-ski-area-in-la-rosiere-france/
http://www.larosiere.net/en/new-in-winter-2019/

snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
That is quite an investment, plus it is adding 460m of height. 2800m is decent
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
How would you rate the fun kid's stuff (upper intermediate) like terrain parks, ski cross etc in comparison with Alpe d'Huez?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Great news for la Rosiere, particularly later in the season. I carnt see it opening up much before January though ? Looks fairly rocky and exposed from the picture above.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Peter S wrote:
Great news for la Rosiere, particularly later in the season. I carnt see it opening up much before January though ? Looks fairly rocky and exposed from the picture above.

Looks like it's two seperate chairlifts with the lower stage serving lower skiing , not sure how rockyit is or what the grooming will be like but I would be surprised if they would build a major new lift that they can't often open till Jan even if the 'free ride' possibilities that they proclaim may be a little more limited.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Well, the lift is 2 sections. So the lower section can run, when the upper section needs to be closed due to wind.

Take a look at this extensive thread on the RM forum with lots of info and photos.
As you can see they blasted and bulldozered a piste into the mountain in the upper part.

https://www.remontees-mecaniques.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=27594

Just look what a massive extension this is, you don't see this much anymore - height difference is doubled (green = existing, red = new)

track of second leg

nice playing around with yellow toys

snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
People sometimes slate the red runs in La Rosiere as samey. I always liked them as they were interesting; turns, banks, humps etc
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Canuck wrote:
How would you rate the fun kid's stuff (upper intermediate) like terrain parks, ski cross etc in comparison with Alpe d'Huez?

in simple terms, it's just nowhere near as big or challenging. The park is probably about a quarter of the size of the one in AdH, if that. Much more akin to the one down in Vaujany, if you know that? The ski cross at La Ros is good, however - fast and reasonably challenging. It's a much smaller ski area than AdH, so you need to adjust expectations of scale. Lovely skiing though.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
......and sometimes the ski cross doesn't open early season
snow report
Even found a nice video about building the new lifts and slopes on Mont Valaisan
https://www.facebook.com/palfingerserviceannecy/videos/1766897006667940/
snow report
Interesting comments about the abundant snowfall on this hill. Does that typically extend to La Thuile over the other side too?
snow report
@sbooker,

Sometimes yes , but some years the difference between snow depth either side of the divide is very visible .
ski holidays
With a bit of boot packing / skinning, that new lift should open up some nice off piste from the top of Mont Valezan.
latest report
@altis,

Ssssshhhh
latest report
Hmmm... lots of new infrastructure and virgin terain to explore . . . Regrettably that won't help the 'rats nests' of pistes at village level Confused La Roz does have a well earned reputation for good snow and it does have a really good 'vibe' for all generations (including some great food and entertainment) . . . But if you're at a fairly basic level of skiing and can't or don't want to explore the surrounding area, you will be in for some VERY busy slopes at NY. Take a good look at the on-line piste map. If you're a wee bit uncomfortable with busy pistes then there are better resorts.

If you were going at a less busy time then yes, you'll love it.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy