Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ankle fracture

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I was wondering if anyone has skled after a trimalleolar ankle fracture and how long their recovery took. Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No, only after the interior malleol was broken. Recovery was about 6 months, skiing is not bad as you are supported by the boot but I guess a lot depends.

17 years after the break I'm about 95% recovered Happy.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thank you. I was hoping I would be able to ski in January or February but perhaps that is a bit hopeful!I broke it at the end of June.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I don't know how much more serious your break is but January seems reasonable to me, in theory, esp if you can do some exercise beforehand.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Poor you but you should be fine; getting good physio is vital for mobility and strength so don't stint on the professional help if possible, and get physio as quickly as you can. I've broken both ankles, once I just let nature take its course (I was young and knew no better), this time I invested in a lot of good physio and the difference in recovery was incredible, both in terms of speed and appearance of the ankle.

I had a less serious fracture than yours at Christmas and was back skiing by late March. It wasn't always comfortable but as Davidof says, the support the boot gives you really helps. You can probably except your leg to swell up randomly for surprisingly long time after the injury, although getting back to a good exercise / gym routine helps with this hugely too.

FYI it took until May to get into footwear that could reasonably described as stylish and until now to wear high heels comfortably for a day (not sure if that is remotely relevant to you but I'd throw it in for good measure as I wish someone had warned me!).

It's sometimes a frustrating process but you'll get there. Good luck and I hope the trip goes well.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I broke my tib, fib and ankle socket. I was non weight bearing for 4 months and it took another 5 to reach a reasonable level of fitness.

For the first two years, I had tendon problems over the front of my ankle, but the biggest short term problem was the muscle atrophy. I lost over half of my left leg muscle.

If you are able to get the wrap around leg weights, I'd recommend using them and doing leg exercises from the edge of a chair or table... plus the physio as and when you are given it.

I've been told not to run anymore, which I really miss. Arthritis is now inevitable and running will greatly accelerate the onset. So far (at 55), I'm fine. I do ride 100-150 miles a week though, which has been a good help to recovery.

If your break isn't too bad and you can maintain leg strength, you should be fine in Jan. As above, ski boots act like plaster casts and give huge support.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thank you very much for your responses. I have just had my walking boot removed after 4 weeks following 6 weeks non weight bearing in plaster. I will start physio as soon as possible as I understand its importance. I am really determined to do all I can to return to normal. I was quite shocked by the muscle atrophy in my calf!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy