Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skis for indoor moguls?

Poster: A snowHead
Getting conflicting advice from various people so your opinions please. 11.8m(?) radius piste carver skis about 74 waist or slightly longer twin rocker AMs 85 waist 14m radius? Both lightweight and medium stiff. The latter skid and pivot better, the former edge better/easier. I like both in their own ways and terrains but can only carry 1 set with me.
Technically shouldn't make much of a difference to a good skier, I know...
Thanks.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Narrow, not wide.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Pivot over carve IMV which obviously contradicts rob's.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Grizzler, narrow and short.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Learn to pivot and skid better on the narrower skis....
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Ski Logik Depth Hoars
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'd take pivot and skid over carve any day. 85mm is not wide. Not sure the twin rocker will do you any favours if you "lose it" but that's not very likely in a dome.

To some extent it depends what technique they're trying to teach you. You could pretty much ski any line you like in a dome on a ski you're comfortable with and completely ignore the bumps (because they're shallow with little gradient) but whilst it's a valid technique it wouldn't make for much of a bumps course.

If they're trying to teach you to ski between/around the bumps (the rut line) than a narrower ski is better but I doubt they will. It's too easy to "miss a turn" for mortal skiers and blow out (think missing a gate for a slalom skier).

The most pragmatic technique is to pivot on top or around the first bump and use the upslope of the next as a brake before pivoting again. For me, this is (much!) easier on a wider ski but I know not everyone will agree.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've done courses on 191cm x 117mm and 177 x 77 and 165 x 60. it doesn't make a great deal of difference.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

and completely ignore the bumps

Titter.

Quote:

If they're trying to teach you to ski ... the rut line ... but I doubt they will.

Hmmm, tend to disagree. Skiing the rut line is mostly just a more aggressive way to ski linked bumps anyway, so if you are being taught how to "correctly" turn on a bump, you can just progress into it. That said, I would tend to agree that rutlining the fall line is unlikely to be the immediate objective Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
[quote="under a new name"]
Quote:

Quote:

If they're trying to teach you to ski ... the rut line ... but I doubt they will.

Hmmm, tend to disagree. Skiing the rut line is mostly just a more aggressive way to ski linked bumps anyway, so if you are being taught how to "correctly" turn on a bump, you can just progress into it. That said, I would tend to agree that rutlining the fall line is unlikely to be the immediate objective Twisted Evil

Remember it's indoors, so not too steep. Most groups will end up in the rutline.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
[quote="Mosha Marc"]
under a new name wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Remember it's indoors, so not too steep. Most groups will end up in the rutline.

rutline skiing indoors gets super easy, it ends up being wide and not that steep. More fun going over the tops with the odd rut line for ego boosting!!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
So that's me no further forward, then Laughing Thanks all.
My main wish is to learn to ski the rutline, aggressively if I can: but last time that I tried, it all got embarrassingly messy - hence the course. Having said that, I also want to learn other approaches to moguls too.
I've watched some good indoor mogul skiers, and it seems to require a lot of repeated fast and agile direction changes. I've certainly seen people do this on Head Magnums, Rossi Hero Elite STs and Atomic Cloud 9s, amongst others, but never on anything much wider or rockered (which is not anything but a comment on who was there that day).
The indoor moguls which I last encountered were small, but very close together - so I think on balance I'll take the narrower piste skis. Nothing like making it harder for me if they don't pivot so well but need to (I think they will, just never really tried them in the kind of conditions where I use the others like that), and they certainly edge easier and are much quicker and more responsive, which it instinctively feels that I'll need. I could be wrong...
I'll let you know.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Grizzler, suck it up Smile and take the skis you'll mostly be on when in the mountains, you ain't going to be "nipping" back to change skis to ski moguls on a holiday I take it!!

I'd agree with narrower, they will pivot just fine if you get your weight correctly distributed. I'd expect the course to do plenty of old skool "french back bottom wiggling" skiing outside of the bumps!

In my experience, once you have the basics, you need time, time and more time in the bumps rather than different skis. Most resorts seem to flatten off bump runs overnight nowadays so you have to actually seek them out, otherwise you could easily have a holiday week and ski no bumps. I made a big improvement in my bump skiing (from failing L2 to passing) by skiing indoor bumps every month over summer.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Most groups will end up in the rutline

Deliberately? or by accident?

@Grizzler, The required pivoting is done on the top of the bump with very little ski to snow contact, so the actual "perceived pivotability" of the skis are of much less significance.

Quote:

time, time and more time

This
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'd say that the only think that really makes a material difference is VERY stiff skis which can be a bit of a handful if you are not in perfect control in the bumps.
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:
b]. ...take the skis you'll mostly be on when in the mountains, you ain't going to be "nipping" back to change skis to ski moguls on a holiday I take it!!

In the UK I might well nip back to the car and change skis, yes. Not perhaps proper moguls, I'll grant you. When overseas then I'd have 2 sets with me. Which ones do I choose for any given day or conditions? Either set, potentially, depending on conditions. (Increase dilemma and choice as quiver, size of car boot and luggage costs allow...)

kitenski wrote:
b] I'd expect the course to do plenty of ... "french back bottom wiggling"

I look forward to this with great excitement Laughing
ski holidays
Yep .. stop all the prevaricating and take the skis you ski on .... snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy